Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Chuck, I can assure you Denver’s play (and I’ve watched all of their recent games, including the UND series in person) has reflected their shot totals. There is meaning there in how they've played - even if they've survived the bottom line. Their offense and overall puck-possession/chance-generation has been extremely challenged lately…

North Dakota completely out played them in both games of the QF series - but the Fighting Hawks simply cannot finish. They buzz, but they have limited offensive skill on their current roster and have a very hard time scoring. That was the biggest factor in the score staying down in that series…

UMass will not have the same problems if they get the same chances. There are three elite scoring teams in the country this season (> 3.50 GPG). UMass is one of them. Penn State and St. Cloud are the other. In a pair of games this season, St. Cloud dropped a four-spot on Denver each night. They got extremely fortunate when AIC knocked off the Huskies and now they’ll have to face St. Cloud East in the Frozen Four…

Denver has played great defensively much of the season – and especially lately. They forecheck well and they defend well in their own zone. Larsson (a Red Wings pick) has been very, very good in goal. Still, if Denver is going to win this match-up (and they certainly are capable) they need to be much better in creating offensive chances of their own and take the game to UMass on occasion.

North Dakota, Ohio State and UMD all play a pro-style game. They love to grind it out on the walls and in the cycle to create offensive chances. This plays right into Denver’s preferred style of defense. UMass is a high-flying college hockey team of old – they want to get up and go in transition. They’ll dangle and switch and get creative, forcing Denver to get their feet moving more in their offensive zone rather than just collapsing around the goal. They have scorers who can convert difficult chances – and have consistently.

It’s an entirely different style of game than what DU has faced recently. If they just want to forecheck and play defense they’ll have a really difficult time trying to win this game. They need to skate and push back on UMass with some of their own medicine to advance. They’re can accomplish this if they play up to their natural abilities (and if Pettersen is healthy - without him their chances drop dramatically, IMO) – but it has not necessarily been their approach against top competition for much of the season…

Also of note, UMass is the better scoring defense (slightly – 1.97 GAA to 1.98), much better on the PK and has posted three shutouts in their last four outings to match Denver's recent run. It’s the classic Watcher argument for building a defense – would you rather have great defenders or a bunch of guys who rarely have to play defense because they always have the puck…

I like both teams – they are both great and have earned the right to be here – but, I’ve seen Denver play 20-some times this season (I’m pulling for them because I know their players well at this point) and if I had to bet on one of these teams overcoming a great opposing defense I know who I’m picking.

When Denver scores three goals in a home game the crowd wins free sandwiches. In the second half – when the competition ramped up I only got four free sandwiches (and only two since January).

My stomach and I will give UMass a 65-70% chance to win this game – Denver can’t pull this off unless they put in three goals of their own as far as I’m concerned, and that number has been a challenge. We’ll see…

Denver is well ahead of schedule just making the FF. UMass has been building to this season for the last three years (yup, Carvel has been directly responsible for UMass recruiting for three years – Imagine what he could have done by now at UNH with FOUR seasons of complete recruiting control) and they ARE a wagon on offense…

Of course, its a one-game format right now - so anything can happen - and the results wont tell us much about any of these teams except who plays best next weekend. PC/UMD has 2-1 snooze-fest written all over it...
    Last edited by Dan; 04-02-2019, 11:55 AM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      When Denver scores three goals in a home game the crowd wins free sandwiches. In the second half – when the competition ramped up I only got four free sandwiches (and only two since January).
      Reminds of the Whitt student section chant when we had three goals: "We want Frostys, We want Frostys". And free fries once upon a time. Those were the days.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        P.P.S. to Greg - yes, UMass are "Northeast Regional Champions", good point. Maybe we should slip a note to BS35+8 to try to arrange for a banner at The Whitt to denote various "regional championships" UNH has won? For a program known for liberal banner usage, how did we manage to miss that one?!?!?
        If UMass loses next week, they should display two banners for this season: 2019 Hockey East Regular Season Champions and 2019 Frozen Four/2019 Northeast Regional Champions (one or the other).
        Last edited by Darius; 04-03-2019, 08:37 AM.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Chuck, how does it feel to be out on an island all by yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            Chuck, how does it feel to be out on an island all by yourself?
            Funny, I've never felt an urge to hold my finger up to the wind, gauge the popularity of my opinions, and change 'em if I'm not on the "good" side of things, Greg. I always figured you were the same; guess not.

You won't be seeing any groupthink or virtue signaling from me. Sorry if that disappoints you ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Funny, I've never felt an urge to hold my finger up to the wind, gauge the popularity of my opinions, and change 'em if I'm not on the "good" side of things, Greg. I always figured you were the same; guess not.

You won't be seeing any groupthink or virtue signaling from me. Sorry if that disappoints you ...
              It doesn’t. I always get a kick out curmudgeons. I’ve been accused of being one many times.

Comment

P.P.S. to Greg - yes, UMass are "Northeast Regional Champions", good point. Maybe we should slip a note to BS35+8 to try to arrange for a banner at The Whitt to denote various "regional championships" UNH has won? For a program known for liberal banner usage, how did we manage to miss that one?!?!?

They did do this one year when the banners used to all be down one end. It was either "Regional Champions" or "Regional Finalist", and they even managed to get the year wrong on the banner while having it correct on the other banners they unveiled with it. Would be willing to bet it happened in 2003 or 2004 (recognizing the year previous), but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Fitting for a school that also has a banner declaring itself the 1979 Hockey East tournament champion...
                Last edited by UNH 98; 04-03-2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH 98 View Post
                  They did do this one year when the banners used to all be down one end. It was either "Regional Champions" or "Regional Finalist", and they even managed to get the year wrong on the banner while having it correct on the other banners they unveiled with it. Would be willing to bet it happened in 2003 or 2004 (recognizing the year previous), but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Fitting for a school that also has a banner declaring itself the 1979 Hockey East tournament champion...
                  That last one has always been one of my curmudgeonly pet peeves …

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                    It doesn’t. I always get a kick out curmudgeons. I’ve been accused of being one many times.
                    We're good then.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      It would seem kind of silly for BVR to consider transferring with one year of eligibility left, especially with the breakout junior year he just completed. Who knows?? Maybe he's looking at next year's roster and not "finding a fit"?

And seeing that there are players from other HE schools in this portal...I wonder as to whom are piquing the interests of the UNH coaching staff?
                      ================================================== ===========================================
                      Chuck, this could be the fodder for your new Summer Saga:

THE PORTAL WARS
                      Hey Scott - hoping all is good with you and yours. WIS Productions is actually deep into development of another concept for this summer, but we're waiting to see how a few things might play out over the next couple of weeks or so. Hoping it will live up (down?) to prior "standards" - using that term very loosely.

Along those lines … can anyone find me an on-line link to the NESN Hockey East 35th anniversary thing they did not that long ago, with Coaches Umile, Parker and McShane? Found that enjoyable when it aired, but can't find it now. You'd think one of our production assistants could figure this stuff out. But noooo ...

Comment

Along those lines … can anyone find me an on-line link to the NESN Hockey East 35th anniversary thing they did not that long ago, with Coaches Umile, Parker and McShane?
                        I have it on my DVR. I'll see if I can download it - I did this once before...quality isn't wonderful (not HD) but I think I can probably do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Potential recruits who could bring this skill-set next season...

Brendan Budy -https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/337739/brendan-budy
                          * Played with Crookshank in BCHL
                          * Played 1/2 season @ Denver and wouldn't be eligible until January 2020
                          * PPG in Tri-Cities after returning to Jr.

Mattias Macceli - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...atias-maccelli
                          * Turku, Finland
                          * 3rd-Leading scorer in USHL @ 18
                          * 27-goals in 53 games

Makael Hakkarainen - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...el-hakkarainen
                          * Helsinki, Finland
                          * 19 goals in 39 USHL Games
                          * Ditched PC after one game in 2018-19 Season (College may not be desired path - eligible January)

Marcus Kallionkieli - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...s-kallionkieli
                          * Helsinki, Finland (Holds Finnish AND Brazilian citizenship)
                          * Crazy potential - 23 goals in 49 games as a 17 year old much of the season in USHL
                          * Projected top-3 round NHL pick this summer
                          * Exactly the type UNH should jump on earlier than others - give him an opp a year ahead of schedule (as their only real shot at this point)

Ethian Scardina - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...ethan-scardina
                          * 15th leading goal scorer in BCHL (26) at 18

Levi Glassman - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...5/levi-glasman
                          * Back-to-Back 20-goal seasons in the BCHL
                          * 24 in 53 games this season to rank 19th in league

Cameron Searles - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...ameron-searles
                          * Canadian/Jamaican
                          * Consistent 20-ish goal-scorer over four seasons in OJHL
                          * 6-5, PF

Max Giangualano - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...ax-giangualano
                          * 26 goals in 54 games
                          * Only turned 18 during the season

Joey Moffat - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...0/joey-moffatt
                          * Will turn 18 in October (not sure if he's old enough or academically advanced for college)
                          * Would be a big jump from MJHL (but he has scored everywhere he's been)
                          * Maybe a future option

Another option is an unknown European recruit...
                          Dan these guys look way to good to still be available! Hard to believe we aren't exploring them and making offers, as HR says, take them all! If I had to predict I still think it will be Will Margel. Was 18 in March, true freshmen, it has always been his dream to come as a true freshmen. He would probably benefit from a year in the west but is already a true goal scorer and will probably get drafted this June and get an offer from someone else willing to start him in September. He can handle D1 now lets not allow him to slip way. Think Jackson Pierson.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                            Dan these guys look way to good to still be available! Hard to believe we aren't exploring them and making offers, as HR says, take them all! If I had to predict I still think it will be Will Margel. Was 18 in March, true freshmen, it has always been his dream to come as a true freshmen. He would probably benefit from a year in the west but is already a true goal scorer and will probably get drafted this June and get an offer from someone else willing to start him in September. He can handle D1 now lets not allow him to slip way. Think Jackson Pierson.
                            Hey why not take them all! Anyway...being realistic now...Margel is on track to come to UNH obviously and he did make a visit here last winter. Think wildcatdc knows more about that. Am hoping/pretty much sure/ he will indeed show up but I'm not sure about this coming season. CHC does list him as a 2019/2020 commit so, anything's possible! Budy...that would be a great addition as well.

P.S. We don't know if UNH is/isn't talking to any of them on this list...but I can bet they are indeed on their radar...
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-04-2019, 02:51 PM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              FYI - Margel is off to good start at the U18 National Championships. He has 7 points ( 3-4-7) in 2 games played.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Hey why not take them all! Anyway...being realistic now...Margel is on track to come to UNH obviously and he did make a visit here last winter. Think wildcatdc knows more about that. Am hoping/pretty much sure/ he will indeed show up but I'm not sure about this coming season. CHC does list him as a 2019/2020 commit so, anything's possible! Budy...that would be a great addition as well.

P.S. We don't know if UNH is/isn't talking to any of them on this list...but I can bet they are indeed on their radar...
                                Any sightings of our intrepid coaching staff passing through customs in Helsinki?

Meanwhile, ex-Cats TvR, Pesce, and Foegele have punched their tickets to the NHL postseason, whereas JvR will be hitting the links soon.
                                Last edited by Snively65; 04-05-2019, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X