Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    To coin a CSNY song it's been a 'long time coming' since we've been there 4 years now. Still, I persist.
    Love CSNY:-)
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Love CSNY:-)
      Correcting myself, it's 'Long Time Gong" this one's for you, e.cat sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUqplxIcNk
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        NU headed to their third Hockey East title surpassing our two! Ugh!
        ...not so fast...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Correcting myself, it's 'Long Time Gong" this one's for you, e.cat sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUqplxIcNk
          Great song
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

No Chuck, I’m telling you that is next to impossible to perform a choke when you have no talent. Honestly, are you trolling me or are you just dense? UNH this year was just not that good.They did a pretty good job beating like minded teams but against the iron they were not competitive. Bottom line Chuck. Give it a rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              Great song
              The title of the song is “Long Time Gone.” Not Gong, as in the Gong Show. Opening song in the Woodstock movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                The title of the song is “Long Time Gone.” Not Gong, as in the Gong Show. Opening song in the Woodstock movie.
                However, UNH would have been a better candidate for the Gong Show last year than this year. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  No Chuck, I’m telling you that is next to impossible to perform a choke when you have no talent. Honestly, are you trolling me or are you just dense? UNH this year was just not that good.They did a pretty good job beating like minded teams but against the iron they were not competitive. Bottom line Chuck. Give it a rest.
                  I think we agree on more than you seem to think, Greg (and no, I'm not trolling you).

I asked an open question to start this thread. Personally, I think UNH made modest but acceptable progress in the regular season, but the way they lost to UMass - not the simple fact that they lost - IMO gives away some of the progress that had been made post-Thanksgiving Day. It was nice to see a UNH team finish the season better than they started it, so that was a plus in comparison to most recent seasons - especially last season. But the postseason? The postseason, the bane of the UNH fan's existence? When your program is judged most closely by others (including future recruits) for its success? More of the same.

Northeastern just won the HE title (and deservedly so), after winning 4 straight one goal games. That included two QF round games against a UMaine team that didn't finish all that far ahead of UNH. You didn't see UMaine (or anyone else) blowing a 3 goal lead, then not showing up in the next game. In fact, the largest margin of victory/defeat after 6-0 UMass in Game Two were 3 games that were three goal games - two with BU over Lowell, and the BC semifinal win over UMass. Lowell beat BU by 2 goals.

Every other game in the entire HE Tourney was quite literally a one goal game.

I wanted (and still want worse than anything) UNH to rid themselves of postseason labels which over the years have (deservedly) been attached to program. Instead. last weekend reinforced them.

Justify/excuse it all as you see fit - as anyone sees fit, for that matter. We're all fans, in our own ways.

I cannot - and will not - stand by and enable yet another UNH team's poor postseason performance.

JMHO
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

OMG...can't believe I didn't catch that...thanks for the correction, dam* autocorrect!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I am looking forward to a possible upset next weekend by AIC. Buzzzzzzzz!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        I think we agree on more than you seem to think, Greg (and no, I'm not trolling you).

I asked an open question to start this thread. Personally, I think UNH made modest but acceptable progress in the regular season, but the way they lost to UMass - not the simple fact that they lost - IMO gives away some of the progress that had been made post-Thanksgiving Day. It was nice to see a UNH team finish the season better than they started it, so that was a plus in comparison to most recent seasons - especially last season. But the postseason? The postseason, the bane of the UNH fan's existence? When your program is judged most closely by others (including future recruits) for its success? More of the same.

Northeastern just won the HE title (and deservedly so), after winning 4 straight one goal games. That included two QF round games against a UMaine team that didn't finish all that far ahead of UNH. You didn't see UMaine (or anyone else) blowing a 3 goal lead, then not showing up in the next game. In fact, the largest margin of victory/defeat after 6-0 UMass in Game Two were 3 games that were three goal games - two with BU over Lowell, and the BC semifinal win over UMass. Lowell beat BU by 2 goals.

Every other game in the entire HE Tourney was quite literally a one goal game.

I wanted (and still want worse than anything) UNH to rid themselves of postseason labels which over the years have (deservedly) been attached to program. Instead. last weekend reinforced them.

Justify/excuse it all as you see fit - as anyone sees fit, for that matter. We're all fans, in our own ways.

I cannot - and will not - stand by and enable yet another UNH team's poor postseason performance.

JMHO
                        Chuck, I suggested you give it a rest. Let’s wait to the roster gets to,the level where “choking” would a legitimate perjorative. Happy summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          I am looking forward to a possible upset next weekend by AIC. Buzzzzzzzz!
                          ...good for them! Wow...who even knew. Here's a post mortem article if you don't follow UNHInsider (most of which we've already heard) https://unhwildcats.com/news/2019/3/...positives.aspx
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Chuck, I suggested you give it a rest. Let’s wait to the roster gets to,the level where “choking” would a legitimate perjorative. Happy summer.
                            Greg, I understand what you're saying, and you don't need to feel a response is necessary to what I'm about to say here. I'm not saying there wasn't an obvious talent gap between UNH and the likes of NU and UMass - there clearly was. I'm also not saying that UNH didn't make some modest progress this season. They did. They finished the RS better than they started, and (putting aside even the 3 goal lost lead) they arguably gave the RS champs all they could handle in pushing them to double OT in Game One of the QF's. If they go out the next night and compete hard and deep into the game, and even assuming they come up short again, then I'm probably content enough to declare Season One of MS7.HC1 an unqualified modest success.

But that's not how it ended. It ended in a smoldering heap of 4-0 about 15 minutes into Game Two.

For kicks and giggles … there were about ninety (90) games this postseason, over the last 3 weekends.

Only one (1) team was down at least 4-0 after one period out of those 90 or so games. Guess who?

Only one (1) team had a 3 goal lead at any point of the game, and then lost the game. Guess who?

The odds that it would be the same team, in different games? About 8,100 to 1.

I'm more at ease with the Game One loss, even though that stung. Game Two though … if it was the first time we've seen this, hey, UNH was unlucky, no big deal, the better team won, etc. But it's happened a bunch of times before, including against UML a couple of years ago (the game where Tirone stayed in despite being like 7-0 down in the second period?), and including as far back as a similar blowout in an NCAA game against Denver in the mid-90's.

Lightning strikes are random things … but when those strikes all start hitting the same place in any given universe, usually it's not a matter of chance, it's a matter of conditions and/or circumstances.

It was not the way I wanted to see Coach Souza's first postseason in charge of UNH play out.

As the concluding line in The Who's classic Won't Get Fooled Again states ...

"Meet the new boss … same as the old boss" (?)

With all due respect to Coach Umile … God, I hope not. Again, JMHO.

Comment

Anyone going to be at the Manchester games this Friday? 3:00 start makes it interesting. Am looking forward to seeing how UMass does in this next “big stage” game. Carvel admits in the CHN that his young team struggled with their HE Semi due to their lack of playoff experience so there you go Chuck....

Trivia for you...what former UNH assistant coach now works for their opponent Harvard?
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Am looking forward to seeing how UMass does in this next “big stage” game. Carvel admits in the CHN that his young team struggled with their HE Semi due to their lack of playoff experience so there you go Chuck....
                                Thank you for graciously posting that HR.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Trivia for you...what former UNH assistant coach now works for their opponent Harvard?
                                Jim Tortorella. Surprisingly left UNH for a non-hockey job, leaving us scratching our heads ...

Comment

Working...
                                X