Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

UNH Men’s Hockey Golf Tournament 2019 Registration: https://learnforlife.unh.edu/portal/...tityId=6306636
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

If this had been attempted 10-15 years ago I'd have expected an angry mob with pitchforks to assemble outside the Field House, I suppose it's quite a bit easier to centralize power after you've effectively dismantled a fanbase.
      I first signed up as a member of the Friends of UNH Hockey in 2001, and though I haven't attended functions in quite a few years owing to other commitments, I did continue renewing annually. A sincere thank you from this 18 year member to all those who played a part in the Friends and their support of the program.

In what might otherwise be considered a compromising position, Maine coach Shawn Walsh modeled a personalized UNH jersey after speaking to the Friends of UNH Hockey last weekend. This college hockey version of cross-dressing, however, accompanied a very serious purpose.

The Friends of UNH Hockey donated their share of the 50-50 Raffle at Friday night’s contest — over $2400 — to the Coaches Foundation. Inspired by Walsh’s battle with cancer, this charitable organization was set up to serve as a resource for any coaches who might need financial help in the face of devastating illness.

When an announcement to that effect was made the following night during intermission at the Whittemore Center, the crowd stood en masse in a standing ovation for Walsh.

Given the ferocity of this rivalry, the actions of the Friends of UNH Hockey and the Saturday night crowd at the Whitt are truly class gestures of the highest order. Both were proud moments for college hockey.
      https://www.uscho.com/2001/01/11/thi...t-jan-11-2001/
      (While not mentioned in this article, the winning fan too donated their cut of the 50-50)
      Last edited by ClOuD 9; 07-17-2019, 12:43 PM.
      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
        If this had been attempted 10-15 years ago I'd have expected an angry mob with pitchforks to assemble outside the Field House, I suppose it's quite a bit easier to centralize power after you've effectively dismantled a fanbase.
        I first signed up as a member of the Friends of UNH Hockey in 2001, and though I haven't attended functions in quite a few years owing to other commitments, I did continue renewing annually. A sincere thank you from this 18 year member to all those who played a part in the Friends and their support of the program.

(While not mentioned in this article, the winning fan too donated their cut of the 50-50)
        Super post, Cloud9. Been a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post

Agree with Snively, nice to see you here and excellent post...
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post

Yes CLouD 9 great post. I believe that 2000 or 01 was my first year, need to check my pins, but I can't say i stayed the course as long as you. No reason other than kids in college and money was tighter at that point. The Friends have been great for UNH and deserve to be thanked big time.
            On a different note. 80 days until our first ability to see this version of Cat's Hockey and 105 days until our first "real" home game. While it is hard to question folks issues with playing a Goon Squad and having someone get hurt. Was it 2016/17 or 17/18 that it was an endless string of questionable hits and tons of penalty minutes.?
            I still like the opportunity to get that preview of the new team, new players and sense of the early lines. They have played 5 lines in the first period a couple of times. Don't ask me the years but it did surprise me. Loving the exhibition game puts me in a small minority but I will continue to hope for it. Plus can you imagine having to wait until November to see the boys on home ice!

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
              Yes CLouD 9 great post. I believe that 2000 or 01 was my first year, need to check my pins, but I can't say i stayed the course as long as you. No reason other than kids in college and money was tighter at that point. The Friends have been great for UNH and deserve to be thanked big time.
              On a different note. 80 days until our first ability to see this version of Cat's Hockey and 105 days until our first "real" home game. While it is hard to question folks issues with playing a Goon Squad and having someone get hurt. Was it 2016/17 or 17/18 that it was an endless string of questionable hits and tons of penalty minutes.?
              I still like the opportunity to get that preview of the new team, new players and sense of the early lines. They have played 5 lines in the first period a couple of times. Don't ask me the years but it did surprise me. Loving the exhibition game puts me in a small minority but I will continue to hope for it. Plus can you imagine having to wait until November to see the boys on home ice!
              Waltham, North Andover, and Comm Ave are a hop, skip, jump. :-)

Comment

Athletics Leads University, Sets All-Time Records During The (603) Challenge: https://unhwildcats.com/news/2019/7/...b-17d28353331b
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Athletics Leads University, Sets All-Time Records During The (603) Challenge: https://unhwildcats.com/news/2019/7/...b-17d28353331b
                  Led by skiing and men's hockey. Souza, O'Brien, and Enders look happy in golf course photo, happier than those portrayed on golf course in last year's off-season thread saga, or was that two years ago?

Comment

Good to see ClOuD 9 checking in with a post supportive of the original FoH. I dropped my membership years ago, when the kids got older, and our time/energy commitments got spread in other directions. Didn't change the fact that FoH organized a lot of great events, and was acting in the best interests of folks like us who supported UNH Hockey from outside the AD's direct control.

And it bears repeating - although what seems to be the primary justification for a needless power grab change is a desire to prevent an "outside" organization from running afoul of NCAA regulations ... never in its history did FoH create any issues or run afoul of either its mission or the NCAA. The same can't be said about the new guy in charge of what's left of the FoH, who was firmly in charge (then as now) when the NCAA landed on a former UNH assistant coach (now a HE head coach elsewhere) for going over the line. Meaning, FoH's was a better servant of UNH Hockey in 50 years than the new guy in his 20 years.

FACT.

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Led by skiing and men's hockey. Souza, O'Brien, and Enders look happy in golf course photo, happier than those portrayed on golf course in last year's off-season thread saga, or was that two years ago?
                    I think "The Adventures of Souza Dick & Stu" was two off-seasons ago, Snives??

I'm pretty sure I did it ahead of Coach Umile's final season in charge.

As for THIS offseason … I'm thinking about getting started with the latest from WIS Productions, and without giving too much away, the following link should serve as a pretty good teaser for what could be just around the bend. Only mulling whether to keep it on this thread OR start a separate thread? Always interested in feedback … so stay cool, enjoy the weekend, and catch y'all next week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGQ1hUyx-k
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Good to see ClOuD 9 checking in with a post supportive of the original FoH. I dropped my membership years ago, when the kids got older, and our time/energy commitments got spread in other directions. Didn't change the fact that FoH organized a lot of great events, and was acting in the best interests of folks like us who supported UNH Hockey from outside the AD's direct control.

And it bears repeating - although what seems to be the primary justification for a needless power grab change is a desire to prevent an "outside" organization from running afoul of NCAA regulations ... never in its history did FoH create any issues or run afoul of either its mission or the NCAA. The same can't be said about the new guy in charge of what's left of the FoH, who was firmly in charge (then as now) when the NCAA landed on a former UNH assistant coach (now a HE head coach elsewhere) for going over the line. Meaning, FoH's was a better servant of UNH Hockey in 50 years than the new guy in his 20 years.

FACT.

I think "The Adventures of Souza Dick & Stu" was two off-seasons ago, Snives??

I'm pretty sure I did it ahead of Coach Umile's final season in charge.

As for THIS offseason … I'm thinking about getting started with the latest from WIS Productions, and without giving too much away, the following link should serve as a pretty good teaser for what could be just around the bend. Only mulling whether to keep it on this thread OR start a separate thread? Always interested in feedback … so stay cool, enjoy the weekend, and catch y'all next week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGQ1hUyx-k
                      Still the off-season and still short about 200 posts to close out this off-season thread, so I vote for you to inject some renewed life into this thread, although if the YouTube vid is any indication of what is coming, we may yet have regrets regardless of thread. :-)

Comment

Still the off-season and still short about 200 posts to close out this off-season thread, so I vote for you to inject some renewed life into this thread, although if the YouTube vid is any indication of what is coming, we may yet have regrets regardless of thread. :-)
                        Here's a fun tidbit that came my way today: JvR got married as did Casey DeSmith this weekend..
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-20-2019, 08:52 PM.
                        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

FWIW I've given thought to a UNH-only skit, and a more "universal" thing. IMO the latter works best.

Not sure if the larger USCHO boards will take interest or not, but that's the risk we artistes run, eh?

I'll probably wait 'til my low-key teaser link drops down/off a little further. As in, "Nothing to see here!"

Happy to use this thread to clarify/tease out other stuff, or (gasp) leave it alone for UNH Hockey stuff.

FUN WIS FACT: A few years ago, I was thisclose to trotting out an offseason bit about our now-retired legendary ex-coach that was based on an alternate take of a concept album from a prominent UK band that was released almost 40 years ago now. But then they announced "The Long Goodbye" three year retirement tour, and I thought it was going to come off a little harsh to go forward with it - especially for a guy I still have a lot of affection for - even if he did overstay his welcome a little bit. So I dropped it.

That concept is in mothballs now, but it could easily be dragged out and re-written if it starts to fit someone else's situation. Events of the last week brought that possibility back into play. But we'll need to see how that plays out over this season, and then into future seasons/events.

So that's it for today from the WIS Estate. Everyone stay cool and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            FWIW I've given thought to a UNH-only skit, and a more "universal" thing. IMO the latter works best.

Not sure if the larger USCHO boards will take interest or not, but that's the risk we artistes run, eh?

I'll probably wait 'til my low-key teaser link drops down/off a little further. As in, "Nothing to see here!"

Happy to use this thread to clarify/tease out other stuff, or (gasp) leave it alone for UNH Hockey stuff.

FUN WIS FACT: A few years ago, I was thisclose to trotting out an offseason bit about our now-retired legendary ex-coach that was based on an alternate take of a concept album from a prominent UK band that was released almost 40 years ago now. But then they announced "The Long Goodbye" three year retirement tour, and I thought it was going to come off a little harsh to go forward with it - especially for a guy I still have a lot of affection for - even if he did overstay his welcome a little bit. So I dropped it.

That concept is in mothballs now, but it could easily be dragged out and re-written if it starts to fit someone else's situation. Events of the last week brought that possibility back into play. But we'll need to see how that plays out over this season, and then into future seasons/events.

So that's it for today from the WIS Estate. Everyone stay cool and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!
                            The intrigue is building.

"Events of the last week......."?

Comment

The intrigue is building.

"Events of the last week......."?
                              The events of earlier this week will play nicely in the overall story as well. Serendipity.

Comment

Joe Bertagna To Step Down as Hockey East Commissioner Following 2019-2020 Season

Chuck,

I hope you put your name in the hat as you would be a great Commissioner. You could see more hockey and it probably has a good salary and a great benefits package.

Hope your summer is going well. Hope to see you at the Whit this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X