Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Season?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Interested to see if the Blues can finish off the Sharks tonight … extremely impressed with how they've responded after losing in Game 3 to a blown late lead in regulation, and an OT game-winner that never should have counted (hand-pass in the lead up was missed by all four on-ice officials, and not subject to video review). They've got a shot tonight to finish this out on their home ice, against an opponent that's already come back from an even deeper hole (down 3-1) against defending SCF Finalists VGK. The Sharks - who also climbed out of a 3-0 hole (take note, I guess 3 goal leads are officially now the most dangerous leads in hockey ) early in the 3rd period in Game 7 vs. VGK due to a four (4) goal power play during a single major penalty midway through the 3rd period in that game - have hardly been strangers to late escapes so far this season.

The Sharks being the Sharks, I suspect they may be a little too confident in their ability to extricate themselves from all matters of danger, and I think the Blues knock them out tonight. Regardless of whom advances, I'll put this out there for consideration among our B's-friendly followers … neither the Blues nor the Sharks will "just be happy to be there", which is something I think you can fairly say about both of the B's last two playoff opponents. Toronto? No, that was the real thing, and not surprisingly, that series went to 7 games. But with CBJ, once the B's smacked them in the mouth, they really never had an answer … and the 'Canes, well, they never recovered after giving away a 3rd period lead in Game 1 (and didn't have the goalie play to sustain it regardless). Not to minimize what the B's have accomplished - and they have no control over who they play in the end - but there's a reason why I said after Round One that this was the B's Cup to lose. I still think that's the case; we'll find out soon.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019 Offseason - How Much Progress Did We Really Make This Past Seas

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Interested to see if the Blues can finish off the Sharks tonight …
      With no Karlsson, no Hertl and Pavelski a game time decision for the Sharks, I say the Blues will finish it off tonight.
      GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Interested to see if the Blues can finish off the Sharks tonight … extremely impressed with how they've responded after losing in Game 3 to a blown late lead in regulation, and an OT game-winner that never should have counted (hand-pass in the lead up was missed by all four on-ice officials, and not subject to video review). They've got a shot tonight to finish this out on their home ice, against an opponent that's already come back from an even deeper hole (down 3-1) against defending SCF Finalists VGK. The Sharks - who also climbed out of a 3-0 hole (take note, I guess 3 goal leads are officially now the most dangerous leads in hockey ) early in the 3rd period in Game 7 vs. VGK due to a four (4) goal power play during a single major penalty midway through the 3rd period in that game - have hardly been strangers to late escapes so far this season.

The Sharks being the Sharks, I suspect they may be a little too confident in their ability to extricate themselves from all matters of danger, and I think the Blues knock them out tonight. Regardless of whom advances, I'll put this out there for consideration among our B's-friendly followers … neither the Blues nor the Sharks will "just be happy to be there", which is something I think you can fairly say about both of the B's last two playoff opponents. Toronto? No, that was the real thing, and not surprisingly, that series went to 7 games. But with CBJ, once the B's smacked them in the mouth, they really never had an answer … and the 'Canes, well, they never recovered after giving away a 3rd period lead in Game 1 (and didn't have the goalie play to sustain it regardless). Not to minimize what the B's have accomplished - and they have no control over who they play in the end - but there's a reason why I said after Round One that this was the B's Cup to lose. I still think that's the case; we'll find out soon.
        I think this is a good analysis, but Chuck, let’s please give this “Cup is theirs to lose” trope (which you’ve been repeating ad nauseum for weeks now) a rest. I get that for you it creates a construct where to win is expected (and devalued) and to lose is abject failure, but you know that’s nonsense.

The B’s were a fair-to-middling team until a crazy hot streak set them up well for the playoffs. Even WITH that run, they were still within single digit points of all of the QF teams as they entered the playoffs. Heck, even the Vegas books (and I’m no gambler) didn’t make them the Cup favorite until AFTER the conference semifinals win vs. CBJ, and then only marginally.

If the first round told us ANYTHING, it’s that there were no sure bets. Pretty sure most prognosticators would have had TB as the team with a “cup to lose”. You know what? They did. As did a RIDICULOUSLY talented 1995-1996 team that entered the playoffs with a record 131 points and proceeded to drop the conference finals. Perhaps you can remind me of who that team was. It’s okay, because they were one of 25 (out of 33) PT winners that didn’t win the Cup.. 😁

The Cup playoffs have been and always will be a crapshoot, and that’s why we all love them. It’s why I have fewer and grayer hairs after years like this. Let’s not pretend that it has been a foregone conclusion that the B’s had this Cup in hand after round 1. That’s silly.

Now go plant some yucca in your Effingwoods garden. Don’t want to be too colonial. And one day I’ll regale you with my flight to MSP this week with one former Senator Al Groper. I mean, Franken.
        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Always good to read a variety of posts on our threads, even after "UNH-South" has been eliminated from their SC quest. I still think that the Canes missed TvR on their third D pair (my second UNH reference). I think that it is all about the third and fourth lines and the third D pairs in the SC quest.

My favorite player on the NHL ice tonight is Joe Thornton, but his SC quest is not looking good after one period. And, his bushy red beard is showing lots of gray, so this may be his swan song for the SC.

I was not born in time for the 1946 WS, but I was heartbroken after Bob Gibson's three wins in the 1967 WS. And, the Cheatin' Cards always seem to get the best of the Bosox in trades, despite the Sox getting even in the 2013 WS. So, lots of sports history between these two towns.
          Last edited by Snively65; 05-22-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

St. Louis really showed me a lot in their series against the Sharks. They pounded the crap out of a talented team that was not lacking in physicality themselves. And after taking a hit in Game 3 - giving up a late lead, and then losing on a goal that never should have been allowed - they were dominant for the duration of the series. I think the SCF shapes up as the irresistible force against the immovable object. If SLB can find a way to contain the B's top line, they have a shot … and as deep as the B's have been in their playoffs run, the Blues have probably been even deeper. These teams really have a whole lot in common, probably the hottest teams in their respective conferences since January, both can bang, both can score, and both goalies playing well in front of solid. deep and mobile defenders. Here is my quick analysis …

Goalie - both starters playing well, both have capable back-ups. Neither is terribly flashy, but overall, Rask has more consistent than Binnington.

Edge Bruins

Defense - the Blues have six big guys who bang, move the puck well, and jump in with wing coverage. B's may be right there, slightly more mobile, but not as deep or as physical with Chara slowed.

Edge Blues

Forwards - almost mirror images of each other, and while the B's arguably have the top line in hockey right now, the Blues have multiple checking lines, and a little more bottom six quality of depth. Key to the series will be whether SLB can contain the B's top line? If they do, they win; if they don't, they lose. Simple.

Push OR slight edge Bruins

Special Teams - I think one of the keys to the B's run has been a productive PP and an airtight PK. Not sure how much of the latter is down to Rask as opposed to the guys playing in front of him? The Blues have had good special teams performances as well, but I don't think they quite measure up to the B's.

Edge - Bruins

Coaching - both teams have clearly been well-coached, and play a definitive style of hockey that reflects what their coaching staffs are trying to accomplish, playing to the strengths of their respective squads. Coach Berube has gotten my attention for really how well he handled the aftermath of Game 3 last series. No question, there is total buy-in up and down their roster.

Push OR slight edge Blues

Intangibles - like San Jose, St. Louis has been the team that's always been in the mix, arguably with stronger rosters in the past, but have never quite gotten it done. The B's have a few holdovers from their last successful Cup run, and interestingly they've got the Blues' former captain (Backes) on their roster now. Even the "long layover" issue will be neutralized somewhat since now SLB will be off for six days before the SCF starts on Memorial Day. However, as I mentioned a few days ago, this will be the B's first opponent in over a month who isn't "just happy to be here". Home ice might be an edge for the B's, but so far it hasn't been a tough obstacle for the Blues, who've compiled a 7-2 road record in getting past Winnipeg, Dallas and San Jose. A Game 7 win against Ben Bishop in double OT in the conference semis showed determination and grit against a guy who was standing on his head. Whether Rask will stay hot and prove to be too much to handle … I don't think the Blues will throw in the towel like toe 'Canes seem to have done in the last series.

Push OR slight edge B's (the "been there before" factor)

Prediction: my head still says this is the B's Cup to lose (sorry 'dc, it's still true) and they win in 6 games. My heart tells me it's the Blues' turn after a half-century of being an also-ran. They've flown under the radar, gotten through a lot of tough situations, and have passed every test they've faced so far. Heart says Blues in 7 so I guess whomever does win this one, will do so on the opposition's home ice. FWIW, the gap on my "head" choice has narrowed significantly since I walked through this exercise after the conference semis, as I think the Blues' conference finals performance (considering their opposition) was a little more impressive all told.

Let the games begin!!

Comment

I predict B's in seven, and that the third and fourth lines and third D pair will be the difference maker.

Nostalgia trip. Last time these two teams met for the SC was 49 years ago, when B's played in the old Garden, GM was Milt Schmidt, HC was Harry Sinden, theee AC's (no C) were John Bucyk (Chief), Phil Esposito, and Ed Westfall. Esposito led regular season in goals (43), Bobby Orr led in assists (87) and points (122). Cheevers won 24 games in net with a 2.72 GAA. B's beat Rangers 4-2 and Black Hawks 4-0 in first two rounds, then swept the Blues with 5-4 OT win in game 4, in which Bobby Orr scored "The Goal," made immemorial with his statue in front of the new Garden in 2010. As a side note, the Blues lost their third SC finals in a row in 1970, the previous two to the Canadians.
              Last edited by Snively65; 05-22-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                St. Louis really showed me a lot in their series against the Sharks. They pounded the crap out of a talented team that was not lacking in physicality themselves. And after taking a hit in Game 3 - giving up a late lead, and then losing on a goal that never should have been allowed - they were dominant for the duration of the series. I think the SCF shapes up as the irresistible force against the immovable object. If SLB can find a way to contain the B's top line, they have a shot … and as deep as the B's have been in their playoffs run, the Blues have probably been even deeper. These teams really have a whole lot in common, probably the hottest teams in their respective conferences since January, both can bang, both can score, and both goalies playing well in front of solid. deep and mobile defenders. Here is my quick analysis …

Goalie - both starters playing well, both have capable back-ups. Neither is terribly flashy, but overall, Rask has more consistent than Binnington.

Edge Bruins

Defense - the Blues have six big guys who bang, move the puck well, and jump in with wing coverage. B's may be right there, slightly more mobile, but not as deep or as physical with Chara slowed.

Edge Blues

Forwards - almost mirror images of each other, and while the B's arguably have the top line in hockey right now, the Blues have multiple checking lines, and a little more bottom six quality of depth. Key to the series will be whether SLB can contain the B's top line? If they do, they win; if they don't, they lose. Simple.

Push OR slight edge Bruins

Special Teams - I think one of the keys to the B's run has been a productive PP and an airtight PK. Not sure how much of the latter is down to Rask as opposed to the guys playing in front of him? The Blues have had good special teams performances as well, but I don't think they quite measure up to the B's.

Edge - Bruins

Coaching - both teams have clearly been well-coached, and play a definitive style of hockey that reflects what their coaching staffs are trying to accomplish, playing to the strengths of their respective squads. Coach Berube has gotten my attention for really how well he handled the aftermath of Game 3 last series. No question, there is total buy-in up and down their roster.

Push OR slight edge Blues

Intangibles - like San Jose, St. Louis has been the team that's always been in the mix, arguably with stronger rosters in the past, but have never quite gotten it done. The B's have a few holdovers from their last successful Cup run, and interestingly they've got the Blues' former captain (Backes) on their roster now. Even the "long layover" issue will be neutralized somewhat since now SLB will be off for six days before the SCF starts on Memorial Day. However, as I mentioned a few days ago, this will be the B's first opponent in over a month who isn't "just happy to be here". Home ice might be an edge for the B's, but so far it hasn't been a tough obstacle for the Blues, who've compiled a 7-2 road record in getting past Winnipeg, Dallas and San Jose. A Game 7 win against Ben Bishop in double OT in the conference semis showed determination and grit against a guy who was standing on his head. Whether Rask will stay hot and prove to be too much to handle … I don't think the Blues will throw in the towel like toe 'Canes seem to have done in the last series.

Push OR slight edge B's (the "been there before" factor)

Prediction: my head still says this is the B's Cup to lose (sorry 'dc, it's still true) and they win in 6 games. My heart tells me it's the Blues' turn after a half-century of being an also-ran. They've flown under the radar, gotten through a lot of tough situations, and have passed every test they've faced so far. Heart says Blues in 7 so I guess whomever does win this one, will do so on the opposition's home ice. FWIW, the gap on my "head" choice has narrowed significantly since I walked through this exercise after the conference semis, as I think the Blues' conference finals performance (considering their opposition) was a little more impressive all told.

Let the games begin!!
                Nothing to argue with here (well, besides the one consistent and enduring point of disagreement!).

What I will say is that IMO, the defensive edge to the Blues gets bigger and more pronounced IF Cassidy gives Chara too much TOI. What I think we learned in Game 4 of the Carolina series is that perhaps the Bruins D gets better with him deemphasized. Okay, that might be heresy, but wow did they look good that game.

I am of the tinfoil camp that maybe, just maybe Cassidy knew that sitting Chara might have a catalytic effect on the D and it wasn’t just about an injury or rest.

Comment

Kind of off the B's V Blues discussion (Bruins in 6) but interesting looking at the current (603) Challenge going on right now at the U; crazy how skiing is killing it in athletic programs with over 62k donated...Men's hockey is in 5th place with a little over 24k donated. Just curious if anyone has any insight into the skiing $$...I mean it's awesome that they are getting those funds must be some wealthy alumni out there who love the sport! Just over 1 day left to give if you are so inclined...

https://www.unh.edu/603/
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Kind of off the B's V Blues discussion (Bruins in 6) but interesting looking at the current (603) Challenge going on right now at the U; crazy how skiing is killing it in athletic programs with over 62k donated...Men's hockey is in 5th place with a little over 24k donated. Just curious if anyone has any insight into the skiing $$...I mean it's awesome that they are getting those funds must be some wealthy alumni out there who love the sport! Just over 1 day left to give if you are so inclined...

https://www.unh.edu/603/
                    Skiing consistently crushes it in the challenge. I am sort of “bound” to Paul and they are often neck and neck.
                    Last edited by wildcatdc; 05-22-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Good pro hockey and fund raising talk here on the college hockey D-1 fan forum. Anyone else following the NCAA softball tournament?
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

1.BC
                        2.BU
                        3.U.Mass
                        4.U.Conn
                        5.UML
                        6.PC
                        7.UNH
                        8.NU
                        -------
                        9.Vermont
                        10.Maine
                        11.Merrimack
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          1.BC
                          2.BU
                          3.U.Mass
                          4.U.Conn
                          5.UML
                          6.PC
                          7.UNH
                          8.NU
                          -------
                          9.Vermont
                          10.Maine
                          11.Merrimack
                          'Watcher, I noticed how you listed UConn and NU in reverse order there.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                            What I will say is that IMO, the defensive edge to the Blues gets bigger and more pronounced IF Cassidy gives Chara too much TOI. What I think we learned in Game 4 of the Carolina series is that perhaps the Bruins D gets better with him deemphasized. Okay, that might be heresy, but wow did they look good that game.

I am of the tinfoil camp that maybe, just maybe Cassidy knew that sitting Chara might have a catalytic effect on the D and it wasn’t just about an injury or rest.
                            I don't disagree, it looks pretty obvious (to me anyway) that Chara has fallen off the proverbial cliff. If the B's do win, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he didn't retire. And Cassidy - knowing the series was well under control - very well could have kept Chara out of action on the pretext of "resting" him, all the while assessing what the D-corps would look like without Chara. If it were me in that situation, I would do that in a heartbeat. So take off the tinfoil hat (or just pass it along to me), mon ami …

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Anyone else following the NCAA softball tournament?
                              OK. Lets get into it. Give me your thoughts!

---

Of all the Supers this weekend, I am most looking forward to college softball's most accomplished bat-flipper (Samantha Show) facing off against the biggest bat-flipping condescenders (the coaching staff at Florida State). If there is a God in heaven, Show will yahtzee this weekend...

Last edited by Dan; 05-22-2019, 05:34 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                Good pro hockey and fund raising talk here on the college hockey D-1 fan forum. Anyone else following the NCAA softball tournament?
                                Funny you say that; actually, more following the NCAA Women's Lax tournament...hate to say it (outloud) but, GO BC EAGLES!!! Used to officiate one of their teams players (who's having a great season) when she was in prep school
                                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                                X