LSSU Lakers 2019 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2019 off-season thread

Perhaps Atlantic Hockey can take UAH so they can get to an even 12 teams.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I think it is a good plan . Maybe Miami of Ohio will become the 8th team.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
        I think it is a good plan . Maybe Miami of Ohio will become the 8th team.
        I don't know the specifics, but the cost to exit the NCHC is supposed to be very high. That might give Miami, or WMU for that matter, cause to think twice about leaving the NCHC for a new conference.

Some people think Arizona State might be the 8th team, but that would mean another long trip, by air, and that's what the 7 teams planning to leave the WCHA are trying to get away from. I can only see Arizona State as the 8th team if the Big Ten and NCHC won't take them, and even then I think it would only be a temporary move for Arizona State. I think they will wind up in the Big Ten or NCHC sooner or later, or maybe even a west coast conference if enough Div 1 schools ever start hockey out there. In terms of being a big school with lots of money, the Big Ten is the most logical spot for them. Geographically, they match up best with the NCHC.

UAH may still have a shot at being the 8th team, or if not them, maybe one (or more) teams from Atlantic Hockey. But adding team(s) from Atlantic Hockey also makes for long trips for some of the 7 schools.
        Last edited by Bill; 06-29-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Miami has had only one winning season in the NCHC and pretty much has been at the bottom since they joined the league. They have fired their long standing coach and they are the furthest east in the league. We always thought even after the formation of the new WCHA that their would be a push to put the league back to a more central league due to how much the cost of travel would drive playing hockey up. I think Miami's fate will be decided on the money issue just as it seems it has for the seven teams pulling out of the WCHA . The bottom line is always the same no matter what school you are and that bottom line is called money .

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
            Had to think this was an eventuality. How long can we and others in the WCHA afford the travel and costs associated with playing the Alaska schools and Alabama?
            I'd like someone to tell me exactly how much it costs lower 48 schools to travel to Alaska, when the Alaska schools are footing around $20,000 of the cost for each team that comes up here. It's got to be pretty negligible.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
              I'd like someone to tell me exactly how much it costs lower 48 schools to travel to Alaska, when the Alaska schools are footing around $20,000 of the cost for each team that comes up here. It's got to be pretty negligible.
              The costs can vary greatly by school. Minnesota State flying out of MSP is far less expensive than NMU flying from Marquette or leaving a day earlier, making the 8 hour bus trip to Minnesota. I know that my Fairbanks ticket for this coming January cost $923 plus it’ll be another $140 round trip for baggage. And if you multiply that by 28 players and staff, then add the cost of transportation of equipment, and the much higher meal costs in Alaska, generally, the stipends paid by the Alaska schools still leave the visiting teams with greater expenses than a trip to Bemidji or Ferris State.
              Last edited by davyd83; 06-30-2019, 07:28 PM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                The costs can vary greatly by school. Minnesota State flying out of MSP is far less expensive than NMU flying from Marquette or leaving a day earlier, making the 8 hour bus trip to Minnesota. I know that my Fairbanks ticket for January was over $900 plus it’ll be $140 for baggage. No hockey equipment included. Last I heard, Anchorage paid either $15 or $18,000 and Fairbanks was $18-20,000. Plus hotels. In Anchorage, it’s the Cook or Hampton. In Fairbanks, the LaQuinta out by the airport which has nothing else but the airport nearby.
                I am sure that the costs are more than the subsidy they receive. I understand that the travel is tiring and that making this trip is difficult. But these student athletes are still young and many of them have spent hours and hours traveling on buses throughout their junior careers. And what will they encounter when they go on to play in the AHL or the ECHL? This is difficult but not horrendous. It is surmountable. The burden is greatest o the two Alaska teams. And they didn't appear to be complaining?

Comment

• Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
                  I am sure that the costs are more than the subsidy they receive. I understand that the travel is tiring and that making this trip is difficult. But these student athletes are still young and many of them have spent hours and hours traveling on buses throughout their junior careers. And what will they encounter when they go on to play in the AHL or the ECHL? This is difficult but not horrendous. It is surmountable. The burden is greatest o the two Alaska teams. And they didn't appear to be complaining?
                  I spent years working the ECHL & WPHL. Never had a 19+ hour travel day. Generally, it was 5-7 bus hours. AHL travel isn’t bad at all, especially for the teams in the northeast & Midwest. Had I taken the one day trip to Fairbanks, I’d leave my house at 6 am to get to the airport and check into my hotel room around 3 am ET. And you’re absolutely right. I don’t know how the Alaska players get through it. The fatigue of the course of the season must be incredible. I don’t envy them at all.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The costs can vary greatly by school. Minnesota State flying out of MSP is far less expensive than NMU flying from Marquette or leaving a day earlier, making the 8 hour bus trip to Minnesota. I know that my Fairbanks ticket for this coming January cost $923 plus it’ll be another $140 round trip for baggage. And if you multiply that by 28 players and staff, then add the cost of transportation of equipment, and the much higher meal costs in Alaska, generally, the stipends paid by the Alaska schools still leave the visiting teams with greater expenses than a trip to Bemidji or Ferris State.
                    Have you seen an actual accounting of one of NMU trips north? So you believe the "unsubsidized" cost of a trip to Alaska is much greater than the cost of a trip to say MSU or BGSU?

Comment

Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
                      I am sure that the costs are more than the subsidy they receive.
                      The intent isn't to cover 100% of the costs, but that net costs to a traveling team are similar to what they would pay to travel to other teams in the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                        Have you seen an actual accounting of one of NMU trips north? So you believe the "unsubsidized" cost of a trip to Alaska is much greater than the cost of a trip to say MSU or BGSU?
                        Since I’ve been to Alaska over a dozen times, I have a pretty good at the travel expense, meals & hotels cost.

Comment

Since I’ve been to Alaska over a dozen times, I have a pretty good at the travel expense, meals & hotels cost.
                          I can appreciate that but it's not the same thing. I've never seen anything and I was just curious (we don't know what teams are actually paid either). I doubt they make it public. I'll quit cluttering up the LSSU thread now.

Comment

I spent years working the ECHL & WPHL. Never had a 19+ hour travel day. Generally, it was 5-7 bus hours. AHL travel isn’t bad at all, especially for the teams in the northeast & Midwest. Had I taken the one day trip to Fairbanks, I’d leave my house at 6 am to get to the airport and check into my hotel room around 3 am ET. And you’re absolutely right. I don’t know how the Alaska players get through it. The fatigue of the course of the season must be incredible. I don’t envy them at all.
                            Well I am sure the schools are getting pretty good at planning their student athletes trips. Pretty sure they benefit from a group travel arrangement as well. You can fly from Minneapolis to Anchorage in less than 5 hours. Heck, I've flown from Anchorage to upstate NY and never had it take 19+ hours.
                            Originally Posted by aparch
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                              I have for LSSU, and yes it is more expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Well I am sure the schools are getting pretty good at planning their student athletes trips. Pretty sure they benefit from a group travel arrangement as well. You can fly from Minneapolis to Anchorage in less than 5 hours. Heck, I've flown from Anchorage to upstate NY and never had it take 19+ hours.
                                Suze, Ive been up to Alaska over a dozen times on hockey trips. And many times, Fairbanks has been 17+ hours from Marquette, Mi in flight and layover time. Nine hours is the shortest current Minneapolis to Fairbanks connection. Now from Marquette, add 8 hours of bus trip (including a meal stop) and needing to arrive at least 3 hours ahead to process a party of 28 plus equipment and that’s 20 hours. The quickest current Marquette to Fairbanks is 17:45 plus arriving 2:30 hrs early to check in and the ride to the airport and you have a 20+ hour travel day. Anchorage is a little better, but those days are usually 13-16 hrs. And, no, there isn’t usually a group discount with airlines on 54 seat planes out of Marquette for parties of 28. Nor from MSP. It often costs more to get a group that large all on to one flight than average Joe would pay for one seat or even a family of four. Yes, if you get the direct MSP to ANC, it’s 6 hrs. Again bus ride from Marquette to MSP plus check in time makes that about 18 hrs. Or MQT to ANC is 14+ hours travel time if you get the direct MSP-ANC or another 4-6 hrs thru SEA.
                                Last edited by davyd83; 07-01-2019, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X