Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Women's Hockey 2019-2020 (And Forum Common Room): Sisyphus Tries Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey 2019-2020 (And Forum Common Room): Sisyphus Tries A

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    As for BC, losing Watts and Lonergan obviously hurt, but it shouldn't be an excuse for the current roster playing poorly. Once a team gets on the ice, it is about who is there, not who isn't.
    You're right, if Mueller and Aurard transferred out of Northeastern last summer the Huskies would still be 3rd.

Come on dude.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey 2019-2020 (And Forum Common Room): Sisyphus Tries A

A player transferring out of a program because she is unhappy there isn't a bad thing. What good is going to come of having a player on a roster if she doesn't want to be there?
      Absolutely nothing. I've always told unhappy employees that if we can't create work happiness within the confines of our systems, then it's better for all parties if the unhappy employee leaves. I'm not saying that it not going to suck to lose someone, it hurts (or it may not LOL), but in the long run it's better for both parties.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeynation View Post
        Well Said Grant! It's difficult for teams to perform effectively with significant missing pieces. This goes for transfers, senior class attrition among other factors. Needless to say responding to the gallery that has no perspective or internal insight to the team is good to see. BC is a young team with some promising young talent that will progress and make their way in to the future just fine.
        Agree with Grant. As to the transfers, in the case of Lonergan, gets injured in the first game of the year and from what I have heard (second hand) will not be playing this year. Not sure if she will play (or can play) next year at Clarkson. In the case of Friesen, she is arguably the second forward player on Clarkson (next to Giguere) and has had a fantastic season so far. She is playing for a winner but due to the injuries to McGill and Lonergan, IMHO it will be difficult for Clarkson to make another Frozen Four run which what she may have been hoping for.
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Absolutely nothing. I've always told unhappy employees that if we can't create work happiness within the confines of our systems, then it's better for all parties if the unhappy employee leaves. I'm not saying that it not going to suck to lose someone, it hurts (or it may not LOL), but in the long run it's better for both parties.
          Some of you longtime women's hockey followers will know better than me - does it seem like there have been more player transfers on the women's side the last 2-3 years than ever before? I guess I wonder if the bar for "being happy on the team" has been dropped significantly lower as more and more parents have put their young players on pedestals, telling them how great they are, and allowing/encouraging them to change youth and high school teams so little Susie can play on a team worthy of her talents.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
            Some of you longtime women's hockey followers will know better than me - does it seem like there have been more player transfers on the women's side the last 2-3 years than ever before? I guess I wonder if the bar for "being happy on the team" has been dropped significantly lower as more and more parents have put their young players on pedestals, telling them how great they are, and allowing/encouraging them to change youth and high school teams so little Susie can play on a team worthy of her talents.
            There have been, it's largely due to the NCAA implementing the new transfer portal to facilitate transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              You're right, if Mueller and Aurard transferred out of Northeastern last summer the Huskies would still be 3rd.
              I missed the part where I suggested that.

IMO, BC should have been a top-four team last year, but the players didn't perform to that level. Did I think that BC should be a top-four team this year. No, of course not. However, the first 10 games suggest that the current roster is capable of more than we've seen over the last 12. The Eagles have more talent than UConn or Providence, but they aren't playing like it. What happened to the chip on the shoulder of wanting to prove people wrong for underestimating BC? I can more easily see dropping to 8 wins in 2009-10, due to losing a goalie, but even that was a steeper drop than one would expect. BC isn't the first team to lose a lot of talent very suddenly. Several teams have gone through something similar and fought on.

As for transfers, the biggest change in recent years was UND folding and all of those players transferring. I haven't seen any other big change.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by bceagle
                or is crowley not a good coach in terms of developing player motivation and team cohesion or in game coaching ?
                bingo x2!
                Last edited by goaliedad35; 01-13-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I missed the part where I suggested that.
                  So did I, but then again, I don't even remember what I had for lunch...
                  At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

goaliedad35
                    Re: Boston College Women's Hockey 2019-2020 (And Forum Common Room): Sisyphus Tries A

Originally Posted by bceagle
                    or is crowley not a good coach in terms of developing player motivation and team cohesion or in game coaching ?

bingo x2!

This is what I have heard from people with first hand knowledge for what that is worth. Of course those people may have been on the unhappy side so its hard to tell. BC definitely underperforms and to lose two superstars to transfer is unusual in women's hockey. Transfers are usually those players not getting the ice time they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                      This is what I have heard from people with first hand knowledge for what that is worth.
                      lol

Comment

Coach has to be feeling the heat moreso after such an unexpected start. Team needs to score goals and it’s not all on the goaltending but they have to be better going forward or the season will end quickly. It’s a young team and patience is required.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                          Two of the top players in the country leave the team because they aren't happy with what lines they're being put on or whatever and everyone acts baffled why the team could possibly be having a down year.

An elite-tier player is enough to elevate a program from being outside the tournament and in it in this sport -- see Poulin, Marie-Philip and Mueller, Alina -- and we lost two of them. I'm not even counting losing 4/6 of our blueliners to graduation because that's just part of college athletics. But rosters are built over the course of years and losing two elite players (one an underclassman!!) unexpectedly doesn't just eff up your current roster but effs up the whole scholarship allocation for the years they were supposed to be on the team too.

Seriously, people expect BC to just lose players like that and keep winning like nothing happened? It's not like someone who's been riding the bench for two years is going to be able to step in and replace 1.5 goals per game. There's only a handful of players at that level in this sport. They aren't just replaced with people who weren't getting playing time.

I'm pretty tired of having to keep quiet on these players leaving with their own personal issues while people shit on our coaching staff. We lose top players to transfer ONCE in 12 years and suddenly Kinger & Kennedy don't know how to run a locker room. Please. And these are the coaches who rebuilt the locker room from the Mutch debacle to begin win. Anyone with one iota of sense can see that this has never happened with these coaches before and figure out that these players left solely and exclusively because of themselves without me needing to post a rant on a message board to explain it.

Always great when these nobodies who don't GAF about the program while they're winning come in to give their two cents about something they're clueless about when things are on a down swing.
                          Nice rant - but the questions stands - btw I probably know more of the players than you!

Comment

Originally posted by BlizzardDad View Post
                            - btw I probably know more of the players than you!
                            What does that mean? Does that give you some special insight to what the players are thinking - more than some one who has been around as a fan and reporter??
                            Is your daughter on the team, or do you just creep around Conte striking up conversations with teenage girls?
                            I would assume that if the former is true she is or will be a problem on the team. Can only imagine the conversation blizzard has with his player after every game. Is she not getting the play time she got when you coached her??
                            Last edited by arenalife; 01-14-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Certainly this thread has been entertaining but it's kinda gone south.

As a Gopher fan I would ask the question, how much of a difference would it make if, say Grace Zumwinkle and Taylor Heise were not in lineup.? Or the Potomak sisters. There is depth behind them but you lose 2 difference makers and it puts a strain on the team.

How about Wisconsin? Watts stays at bc and take Abby Roque away. Or give them Watts and take Shirley and Roque away. Quite a bit different lineup for Wisconsin. Would they still be pretty good? Sure, but they would probably have more losses.

The bc preseason outlook wasn't all ducks and bunnies with watt transpired but they did start out well and now are going through a rough stretch. I don't think it is unreasonable to question why it's happening but I also don't think that a coaching staff that has put bc in the top tier of WCH has suddenly lost their ability to run a program.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                The bc preseason outlook wasn't all ducks and bunnies with watt transpired but they did start out well and now are going through a rough stretch. I don't think it is unreasonable to question why it's happening but I also don't think that a coaching staff that has put bc in the top tier of WCH has suddenly lost their ability to run a program.
                                Reasonable!

It's also important to note that the comparison to Minnesota & Wisconsin this particular season isn't exactly the best since we were also expected to take a step back to begin with due to worse-than-usual graduation losses. But I would have to imagine that we'd still be in the field with Watts and Lonergan on the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X