Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Women's Hockey 2019-2020 (And Forum Common Room): Sisyphus Tries Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey 2019-2020 (And Forum Common Room): Sisyphus Tries A

BC started out the season with 7 wins but they also had arguably the easiest schedule in all of D1 women's hockey at that point. I had BC pegged at 5th place to start the season - that's 5th place in Hockey East, not the country. They lost so much to graduation and you knew losing 2 of the top scoring forwards in the country was going to hurt their offense. I'm guessing TTT had BC at the 3 spot in his own pre-season rankings, behind NU and BU. BC's record in their last 12 games is about what I expected. The only surprise for me is that they played pretty tight games vs Minny and Wisco while almost getting swept for the season by UCONN*. They have 11 games left on their slate, including 2 Beanpot games. I'm guessing they'll go either 7-4 or 6-5 over that stretch, which should keep them in the top 4 of Hockey East but leave them with winning the Hockey East tournament as their only way into the NC$$ tournament.

*That's not meant as a slight against UCONN - they could knock off anybody in HE. Fisher is a good goalie and their line of Snodgrass, Colangelo, and Crawley is one of the best lines in the league. The truth is, in HE, there's NU who's a notch above everybody else but there's not much separation between teams 2-8 in the standings this year ... or in the quality of play for that matter. BC/BU/UConn/UNH/PC/UVM/Maine is a toss up on any given day this season.
    THINK PINK
    BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Re: Boston College Women's Hockey 2019-2020 (And Forum Common Room): Sisyphus Tries A

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      As a Gopher fan I would ask the question, how much of a difference would it make if, say Grace Zumwinkle and Taylor Heise were not in lineup.? Or the Potomak sisters. There is depth behind them but you lose 2 difference makers and it puts a strain on the team.
      Didn't we essentially see that two years ago? The Gophers graduated Stecklein and Cameranesi, who wound up on the Olympic team, plus Schipper and Wolfe. Pannek missed the season for the Olympics, and both Potomaks were centralized. Thus, they lost their top six scorers from the previous season and the incoming player expected to make the biggest impact. Williamson battled illness and missed over half the season. It's not like we don't know what this is like. At least BC returned four players coming off 20+ point seasons. As for this year, I think that Wisconsin graduated as much talent as BC did, so the comparison of Badgers and Eagles isn't that far off before the impact of the transfers.

After years at the top and drubbing other teams repeatedly, nobody feels sorry for you. The Ohio States of the world have waited for such a season to extract some revenge, as they did versus Minnesota. The schedule has to be played, even if the roster doesn't look like we would like.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Didn't we essentially see that two years ago? The Gophers graduated Stecklein and Cameranesi, who wound up on the Olympic team, plus Schipper and Wolfe. Pannek missed the season for the Olympics, and both Potomaks were centralized. Thus, they lost their top six scorers from the previous season and the incoming player expected to make the biggest impact. Williamson battled illness and missed over half the season. It's not like we don't know what this is like. At least BC returned four players coming off 20+ point seasons. As for this year, I think that Wisconsin graduated as much talent as BC did, so the comparison of Badgers and Eagles isn't that far off before the impact of the transfers.

After years at the top and drubbing other teams repeatedly, nobody feels sorry for you. The Ohio States of the world have waited for such a season to extract some revenge, as they did versus Minnesota. The schedule has to be played, even if the roster doesn't look like we would like.
        I think your discussion with NH covered this subject pretty well. bc plays a very aggressive offensive style but it's fair to question whether that is going to have continued success if, as was talked about in your discussion, teams in the league figure that out and bc has less offensive talent to work with. That is where questioning whether or not this coaching staff is able to make adjustments comes in. Time will tell.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Grant, What do you think is a reasonable goal for BC this season in terms of a win total? IMO, the Eagles have enough talent to get to 20 wins with their roster. It's not a slam dunk, for sure, but it is still achievable, and if they fall short, it shouldn't be by much. They should win four of the remaining five games in January. Conference games in Feb are two each versus UNH and Maine; I'd say three wins is a realistic objective. That would require two more wins combined between the Beanpot and HEA tourney. Do you agree, or is this asking too much of them?

Comment

Grant, What do you think is a reasonable goal for BC this season in terms of a win total? IMO, the Eagles have enough talent to get to 20 wins with their roster. It's not a slam dunk, for sure, but it is still achievable, and if they fall short, it shouldn't be by much. They should win four of the remaining five games in January. Conference games in Feb are two each versus UNH and Maine; I'd say three wins is a realistic objective. That would require two more wins combined between the Beanpot and HEA tourney. Do you agree, or is this asking too much of them?
            No I think that's reasonable. Going 4 for 5 leading up to the Beanpot would be a pretty strong recovery but definitely on the radar. Not getting swept in the Beanpot is, surely, not too much to ask for. I would be very disappointed if BC didn't make it to the WHEA semifinals. I think if we don't hit 20 wins, even at this stage in the season, it would be a massive disappointment. That's basically a split with UVM (1), a split with PC (1), a win over HC (1), a split with Maine (1), a split with UNH (1), not getting swept in the Beanpot (1), getting to the WHEA semis (2), and one (1) more win either among the teams they split with or in the WHEA semis or winning the Beanpot. I would be incredibly disappointed if they didn't pull that off.

I still believe in my heart of hearts that (assuming they get to the WHEA semis) they can absolutely bang out two wins to either get the Beanpot or the WHEA trophy. Given that they came away with not a damn thing last season, that would be a good argument for having improved on last year despite the roster getting nuked.
            Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-15-2020, 10:11 PM.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Weekend preview: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ts-predictions

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQl8V8Zugc

The BEST KOD

Comment

• Originally posted by goaliedad35 View Post
                  Oh man, why must you taunt me so...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                    I think your discussion with NH covered this subject pretty well. bc plays a very aggressive offensive style but it's fair to question whether that is going to have continued success if, as was talked about in your discussion, teams in the league figure that out and bc has less offensive talent to work with. That is where questioning whether or not this coaching staff is able to make adjustments comes in. Time will tell.
                    The adjustments (or lack thereof) would be the thing that would bug me. I always expect the Eagles to bounce back after bad losses - to sort of rally to prove that's not the team they are and reassert themselves - and it just doesn't really happen. I find it really frustrating. It's one of those intangible things that maybe I'm putting too much stock in. This isn't a new thing this year, IMO it's been a thing for a couple of seasons. I'd like to see the team react and have it feel like a fire was lit when they drop a game they shouldn't and that's just not how things work with BC. Who knows if that actually means anything.
                    It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

At least the Eagles have figured out how to score.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                        At least the Eagles have figured out how to score.
                        Vermont with some very nice assists on a couple of bc's goals...
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

BC NATTY INCOMlNG BABY

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            BC NATTY INCOMlNG BABY
                            At least you have a longer winning streak than we do.

Comment

At least you have a longer winning streak than we do.
                              It's your own fault for not telling the team to listen to Lizzo

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                BC NATTY INCOMlNG BABY
                                Did you forget to take your meds?
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X