This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I feel your pain. But it's been so long since hockey was relevant that I'm getting used to it.

(How's the fishing been up there, BTW? We've had so much rain here that even the blackflies haven't recovered yet, let alone the trout.)
    Been good fishing even though things are a couple weeks behind here. Water has been cold and high. Its a great time of year for fishing if you can get work out of the way.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 06-07-2019, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      This is my biggest fear. The margin for error in the CAA is so thin. You win 2-3 close games one year, you’re 9-2, you lose those close ones the next year and you’re 5-6.

I’m worried about the D. There’s always been some kind of continuity but Hetherman leaving at the same time as coach H spooks me for sure. Hopefully Ryan can keep the Black Hole thing going.
      Plus having to play two FBS teams every year, and going to Colgate, means that 2-2 is the only really reasonable expectation in the non-conference, 1-3 is a distinct possibility. If they go 1-3 in the non-conference, 5-3 in the conference may not be enough. Which is bonkers. But, paying the bills is more important in Orono than making the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
        Plus having to play two FBS teams every year, and going to Colgate, means that 2-2 is the only really reasonable expectation in the non-conference, 1-3 is a distinct possibility. If they go 1-3 in the non-conference, 5-3 in the conference may not be enough. Which is bonkers. But, paying the bills is more important in Orono than making the playoffs.
        It's certainly possible that Maine could go 3-1, too. Even 4-0, if the cards fall right.

I wouldn't count this Maine team out before the fact. The FBS teams they face are not juggernauts by any means. And Colgate away is a winnable game.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-07-2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          This is my biggest fear. The margin for error in the CAA is so thin. You win 2-3 close games one year, you’re 9-2, you lose those close ones the next year and you’re 5-6.

I’m worried about the D. There’s always been some kind of continuity but Hetherman leaving at the same time as coach H spooks me for sure. Hopefully Ryan can keep the Black Hole thing going.
          I might well be wrong, but isn't the entire coaching staff composed of Coach H leftovers?

That leads me to believe that the "culture" won't change much, on either side of the ball.

It's been a winning formula for Maine, and I do expect it to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
            Been good fishing even though things are a couple weeks behind here. Water has been cold and high. Its a great time of year for fishing if you can get work out of the way.
            High, cold, and muddy here. The smaller brooks are clearing up, so maybe I can catch a few small specks tomorrow. Been a very rough May here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              I might well be wrong, but isn't the entire coaching staff composed of Coach H leftovers?

That leads me to believe that the "culture" won't change much, on either side of the ball.

It's been a winning formula for Maine, and I do expect it to continue.
              They are but a lot have been promoted pretty quickly, losing both H and the D coordinator the same year is concerning from a D stand point, I think.

The FBS games suck. I dont think they can beat Georgia Southern. I dont know anything about Liberty. Even last year, against a miserable Western Kentucky team it took a miracle comeback to win. If that doesnt happen who knows how the season goes. 3 years ago they shood’ve beat UConn, blew it, and go 6-5 and out.

Id like to know how many teams nationally play 2 fbs games. Kt has to be a low number.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Maine will play UConn @ Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport on Wednesday 1/15 and host the Huskies for a pair the weekend of 2/14-15.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Maine will play UConn @ Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport on Wednesday 1/15 and host the Huskies for a pair the weekend of 2/14-15.
                  I saw that...just keeping tabs on when the most likely Maine will announce their schedule...figure by the end of June. Anyone have info they could update. 3 series in place to date. UAA/Omaha/UConn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    I saw that...just keeping tabs on when the most likely Maine will announce their schedule...figure by the end of June. Anyone have info they could update. 3 series in place to date. UAA/Omaha/UConn.
                    Haven't heard when yet but they released 6/22 last year and 7/11 2 years ago. I added more Maine sched info in the 2019-20 schedules thread. Northeastern is announcing their sched tmw so we'll have that series soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
                      Haven't heard when yet but they released 6/22 last year and 7/11 2 years ago. I added more Maine sched info in the 2019-20 schedules thread. Northeastern is announcing their sched tmw so we'll have that series soon.
                      Good Deal...Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        It's certainly possible that Maine could go 3-1, too. Even 4-0, if the cards fall right.

I wouldn't count this Maine team out before the fact. The FBS teams they face are not juggernauts by any means. And Colgate away is a winnable game.
                        You can't count on it though. You can't schedule FBS games with the expectation that you will win and thus can go 5-3 in the CAA. Georgia Southern won 10 games last year. Liberty was .500. Last year Maine lost to 3-8 Central Michigan and beat 3-9 WKU. Both Liberty and GSU are better than that. If Maine beats Colgate, 5-3 in the conference LIKELY gets a bid, but not guaranteed.

Comment

Maine will play at Chestnut Hill 1/24-25.

Comment

Maine is headed to Matthews in November the weekend before the Huskies leave for Belfast, and Northeastern will journey north for one game in between Beanpot rounds in February.

Comment

• lol. In case there are other die hard pats fans at this slow time of the year. Francis’ greatest moments...
                              https://youtu.be/NCW3GUxhLAM

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                You can't count on it though. You can't schedule FBS games with the expectation that you will win and thus can go 5-3 in the CAA. Georgia Southern won 10 games last year. Liberty was .500. Last year Maine lost to 3-8 Central Michigan and beat 3-9 WKU. Both Liberty and GSU are better than that. If Maine beats Colgate, 5-3 in the conference LIKELY gets a bid, but not guaranteed.
                                The FCS selection process generally seems to discount the cash-cow FBS games, barring eye-popping upsets by the FCS teams.

No telling if Maine will play as well as they did last year, but if they do, neither Liberty nor GSU are going to be too steep a cliff to climb, IMO.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-11-2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X