Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Arizona State - 10 Canadians
    Quinnipiac - 6 Canadians
    Minnesota-Duluth - 5 Canadians
    UMass - 7 Canadians
    Providence - 4 Canadians
    Denver - 9 Canadians

When Maine was winning back in the day.....they had a roster of 1/2 to 2/3 Canadians. Most of their best players ever are from Canada. Duh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
      Even worse, 0 Mainers on the team, only team at the entire school without a Maine native on the roster...
      I'm more worried about winning than having a Mainer on the team.

Comment

Even worse, 0 Mainers on the team, only team at the entire school without a Maine native on the roster...
        The state being such a prolific producer of hockey talent.

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
        How come Maine has only 2 Canadians on the team now? Now wonder they aren't winning! Duh!
        Maine is Team NATO. USA, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia and Latvia.

Comment

So much teeth gnashing here. Time to vote with your wallets and ditch this program until changes are made! Stop showing up at Alfond! Stop throwing away your money on this program! Follow Maine football, women's basketball or heck......even men's hoops. Maine fans need to start closing their wallets to this madness until a coaching change is made!
          I gave up my season tickets 4 years ago. After two years I had enough of Gendron's demeanor and on ice performance. I do go to the Alfond for two games a year, couldn't withdraw completely. I am doing my part even though it is in vain.

Comment

Some of you people in here are brutal. Did Red kick your dog? Did he poop in your Wheaties?

I get it. Maine hockey isn't what it used to be. But what many of you fail to realize is that the days of dominance in college hockey is over. There is more parity than ever in the college hockey ranks and that is why a team like UMass is able to go from zero to hero in two seasons. That's why teams like North Dakota, Minnesota, and likely BU and BC will also miss the tournament this year.

Pretty much everyone on here agreed that a trip to the Garden this year would've been a step in the right direction. Well, they didn't get there but it's hard to argue that outside factors didn't play a huge role in that. They put six pucks behind Primeau this weekend and had two goals to show for it. You can argue each call individually but there were at least two very questionable calls among those that had a huge impact on the game(s). You also had arguably the best goaltender in the county on the other side making spectacular save after spectacular save.

I sat behind the bench last night and watched Red keep the troops motivated when call after call went against them in the first 30 minutes or so of the game. With what they were up against, it would've been easy to fold but they didn't. I think anyone who watched Friday and Saturday's game could admit that Maine was the better team in each game. They outplayed Northeastern for the majority of the 120+ minutes played. Unfortunately, two untimely mistakes in the defensive zone, suspect officiating and a spectacular goaltender didn't lead to the better team winning.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but coaching was not the reason Maine lost the series. In fact, I'd argue that it was a reason they were able to push Northeastern (one of the top 10 teams in the country) to the limit in both games.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
              Some of you people in here are brutal. Did Red kick your dog? Did he poop in your Wheaties?

I get it. Maine hockey isn't what it used to be. But what many of you fail to realize is that the days of dominance in college hockey is over. There is more parity than ever in the college hockey ranks and that is why a team like UMass is able to go from zero to hero in two seasons. That's why teams like North Dakota, Minnesota, and likely BU and BC will also miss the tournament this year.

Pretty much everyone on here agreed that a trip to the Garden this year would've been a step in the right direction. Well, they didn't get there but it's hard to argue that outside factors didn't play a huge role in that. They put six pucks behind Primeau this weekend and had two goals to show for it. You can argue each call individually but there were at least two very questionable calls among those that had a huge impact on the game(s). You also had arguably the best goaltender in the county on the other side making spectacular save after spectacular save.

I sat behind the bench last night and watched Red keep the troops motivated when call after call went against them in the first 30 minutes or so of the game. With what they were up against, it would've been easy to fold but they didn't. I think anyone who watched Friday and Saturday's game could admit that Maine was the better team in each game. They outplayed Northeastern for the majority of the 120+ minutes played. Unfortunately, two untimely mistakes in the defensive zone, suspect officiating and a spectacular goaltender didn't lead to the better team winning.

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but coaching was not the reason Maine lost the series. In fact, I'd argue that it was a reason they were able to push Northeastern (one of the top 10 teams in the country) to the limit in both games.
              Its not just this weekend....look at the 6 years and the picture is much clearer....it is the Coaching....parity or not. The rebuild/retool is a failure....no matter how you sugar coat it....nobody see's a winning season or a Championship year after year, but progress and on ice accountability is also a factor....people understand the College Hockey landscape has changed.

Comment

I get it. Maine hockey isn't what it used to be. But what many of you fail to realize is that the days of dominance in college hockey is over.
                No sh*t Sherlock! Maine hockey isn't what it used to be? Thanks for that proclamation.....we could have never figured that out on our own!

Yes....dominance is over. All we are asking for is to win 1 Hockey East Q-final series per decade. Is that too much to ask for???

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                  Whos going to leave and move on? Pearson?
                  What if Swayman goes? Were quite possibly a ten win team again....

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

No sh*t Sherlock! Maine hockey isn't what it used to be? Thanks for that proclamation.....we could have never figured that out on our own!

Yes....dominance is over. All we are asking for is to win 1 Hockey East Q-final series per decade. Is that too much to ask for???
                    I felt the need to clarify since many people on here seem to think we should return to the glory years with a flick of the switch. That doesn't happen in college hockey. It comes down to one or two solid recruiting classes that can turn a program around. See Northeastern with Gaudette/Aston-Reese, UMass with Makar, etc.

Moving forward, if they all return, I think Maine has a very solid foundation to have a successful 2019-2020. The Tralmaks-Pearson-Fossier line is very good and Swayman is very good. Keeper should also be back to anchor the d-men and I like what I've seen from Sirota as well. Binner also has the potential to be a solid d-man if he can just eliminate the mental mistakes.

I'll gave Red the benefit of the doubt for another year and once it becomes time to consider an extension we'll see where we're at. If we still haven't advanced to The Garden, then I think it'd be worth seeing what's out there.

Comment

I felt the need to clarify since many people on here seem to think we should return to the glory years with a flick of the switch. That doesn't happen in college hockey. It comes down to one or two solid recruiting classes that can turn a program around. See Northeastern with Gaudette/Aston-Reese, UMass with Makar, etc.

Moving forward, if they all return, I think Maine has a very solid foundation to have a successful 2019-2020. The Tralmaks-Pearson-Fossier line is very good and Swayman is very good. Keeper should also be back to anchor the d-men and I like what I've seen from Sirota as well. Binner also has the potential to be a solid d-man if he can just eliminate the mental mistakes.

I'll gave Red the benefit of the doubt for another year and once it becomes time to consider an extension we'll see where we're at. If we still haven't advanced to The Garden, then I think it'd be worth seeing what's out there.
                      “Flip a switch” how longs it take? You people have been telling the angry masses “it take time” for 4+ years. When are we allowed to be ****ed and call it this mess like it is? Please, let us know when its acceptable.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

I doubt Pearson moves on. I hear Detroit brass don't really like him that much.
                        Hmm, well I think hes a very good player and hope he stays another year, good for maine then.

Comment

The Red Gendron Era

Overall 82-115-25 .426
                          Hockey East 48-70-16 .418
                          Playoffs 4-12 .250
                          Home 54-40-9 .568
                          Away 23-66-13 .289
                          Neutral 5-9-3 .382

Record vs
                          UMA 13-5-1 .711
                          MC 8-3-2 .692
                          UNH 8-9-4 .476
                          BU 6-8-0 .429
                          UML 4-7-1 .375
                          BC 5-9-0 .357
                          UVM 6-12-1 .357
                          UConn 2-5-3 .350
                          NE 2-13-1 .156
                          PC 1-15 .031

Total Goals 595 (2.68)
                          Goals Against 678 (3.05)

Average KRACH 41
                          Average SOS 34
                          vs KRACH T15 8-61-3 .132

Average NCAA rank
                          Offense 34
                          Defense 39
                          PP 39
                          PK 37
                          PIM/GM 41
                          (KRACH/NCAA rank numbers through 3/16)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                            What if Swayman goes? Were quite possibly a ten win team again....
                            No, the two goalies Red has committed should be as good as Swayman.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Recruiting is the reason Maine lost the series, and that's been an ongoing issue with Red's futile regime. I have seen enough empirical evidence of that shortfall for one lifetime to ever imagine that he can bring-in even a *little* top-shelf talent.

Blue appeared to play hard over the weekend, but it's extremely rare to win while scoring but once per game... There are no "hands" on this team, and Red has never brought-in a pair of hands over his entire tenure.

He should resign, but I doubt that he will. He appears to be an "it's not my fault" type. And Maine won't be a factor as long as he's taking up space in Orono.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-17-2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                No, the two goalies Red has committed should be as good as Swayman.
                                Right. I'll believe that when I see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X