X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy mother’s day to momma bears!

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Good grief, back to 11 team playoff maybe.
      The rationale makes some amount of sense.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/05/...layoff-format/
      Last edited by NorthMike; 05-13-2019, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
        Good grief, back to 11 team playoff maybe.
        The rationale makes some amount of sense.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/05/...layoff-format/
        Hockey East unfortunately can’t get out of their own way. The solution was staying at a nine team league. The schedule worked good and only one team missed the playoffs. This is in no way criticism of UVM.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

DUMB....regular season is to seed the teams for playoffs and the ones that can't make it >>> TOUGH....play sports the right way....earn your way, this isn't K thru 4 grade.....hopefully Ralph votes against it.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            The university could stop throwing money in a giant black hole and use it to fund hockey and basketball, but we all know that will never happen.
            Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            I agree. Other then the "black hole" I know that baseball has the Mahaney fund that is dedicated to baseball and pays a substantial part of their expenses. However, there are other significant costs that the athletic department must pay for. Baseball just doesn't make any sense to me in this cold northern climate. There appears to be little interest from fan's. I have been to a couple of games this spring and there are very few people there.
            Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            I've been calling it a black hole because money goes in never to be seen again. The program loses over a million dollars a year, even with two cash games every season. And it could go 150-0 and win the next 10 national championships and it still wouldn't be in the neighborhood of profitable. It's also a headache for Title IX. Contrast that with hockey, which once was the most profitable Division I public program east of Ann Arbor and routinely cleared over $2 million in profits each year. This wasn't even the halcyon days of 42-1-2 and Harold Alfond's gold card; it was a decade ago. Now not a single program on campus makes a profit every season. Fix the hockey program and it can go back to paying for itself, and providing money to feed that black hole. It wouldn't take much of an investment to turn hockey around and return it to profitability. How much would we have to invest in football to make it profitable? Is that even possible given that only a relative handful of programs in the nation turn a profit?
            Originally posted by dunbar View Post
            There’s approximately 35 members of the football program that don’t receive any financial aid, scholarship or otherwise, from the athletic department. The cost of those students to attend Maine do not count in the figures you reference. They do however, count towards general revenue for the University. Those students are paying tuitions, fees, etc. like any other student. That adds up to approximately $1 million annually. If there’s no football, those students aren’t here, nor is that money.

Also consider something else: how do you balance athletic scholarships without football? Either you cut women’s sports, or you have to add more men’s sports, which I would guarantee would lose more money than football does, simply because they wouldn’t be revenue sports.

Lastly...

A niche sport will not be profitable, especially when the niche sport desperately needs a new facility in the next decade.
            This discussion got me interested in Maine's overall athletic financials and since I have the last nine years of NCAA reports I decided to take a closer look. I took my NCAA Financial spreadsheet I created for all DI hockey teams and I made a modified one for all of Maine's sports programs for 2010-18. There's a lot of data to digest, but some things immediately stand out.

If you take away Maine's direct institutional support of every sport they all lose money, including hockey. When you include that direct support hockey has been "profitable" every year and football became profitable starting in 2015-16 when Maine boosted its direct support for football by $1.3 million (why they underfunded it before that so it ran a significant deficit is puzzling). However, only five sports generated revenue from ticket sales: baseball (which stopped charging for tickets in 2017), men's and women's basketball, football and hockey. Over the nine years hockey averaged 79.5% of all ticket revenue, although that has dropped from the low 80s to the mid 70s 2 of the past 3 years (and just under 70% the other year), with football showing an uptick. Football also takes about 50% of guarantees with men's basketball getting most of the rest. Football also generates the most contributions, between 20% and 34% of all contributions, averaging just of 28% over the nine years.

As for football being a black hole, it averages 20% of all expenses, with men's hockey second averaging 10%. When you factor in the number of participants football gets the better of hockey as it has averaged 17% of all participants, while men's hockey has averaged just 5% of all participants. Overall, football has averaged $3.9 million in expenses over the 9 years, with men's hockey averaging $1.9 million over the same period.

As for the claim that about 35 members of the football team receive no aid from the athletic department, that is untrue. According to the NCAA financials the most players to not receive any aid was 16 twice, with an average of 12 players receiving no aid each year.

And if football was eliminated, some of the scholarship money could go to fully funding men's track and field and cross country (barely funded) and swimming and diving (completely unfunded) teams before looking at adding another men's team. However, I don't see Maine eliminating football any time soon.

Take a look at the spreadsheet . There is a lot of data and I have tried to make it accessible in several different ways. Let me know if you have any questions, find any errors or would like more information.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              This discussion got me interested in Maine's overall athletic financials and since I have the last nine years of NCAA reports I decided to take a closer look. I took my NCAA Financial spreadsheet I created for all DI hockey teams and I made a modified one for all of Maine's sports programs for 2010-18. There's a lot of data to digest, but some things immediately stand out.

If you take away Maine's direct institutional support of every sport they all lose money, including hockey. When you include that direct support hockey has been "profitable" every year and football became profitable starting in 2015-16 when Maine boosted its direct support for football by $1.3 million (why they underfunded it before that so it ran a significant deficit is puzzling). However, only five sports generated revenue from ticket sales: baseball (which stopped charging for tickets in 2017), men's and women's basketball, football and hockey. Over the nine years hockey averaged 79.5% of all ticket revenue, although that has dropped from the low 80s to the mid 70s 2 of the past 3 years (and just under 70% the other year), with football showing an uptick. Football also takes about 50% of guarantees with men's basketball getting most of the rest. Football also generates the most contributions, between 20% and 34% of all contributions, averaging just of 28% over the nine years.

As for football being a black hole, it averages 20% of all expenses, with men's hockey second averaging 10%. When you factor in the number of participants football gets the better of hockey as it has averaged 17% of all participants, while men's hockey has averaged just 5% of all participants. Overall, football has averaged $3.9 million in expenses over the 9 years, with men's hockey averaging $1.9 million over the same period.

As for the claim that about 35 members of the football team receive no aid from the athletic department, that is untrue. According to the NCAA financials the most players to not receive any aid was 16 twice, with an average of 12 players receiving no aid each year.

And if football was eliminated, some of the scholarship money could go to fully funding men's track and field and cross country (barely funded) and swimming and diving (completely unfunded) teams before looking at adding another men's team. However, I don't see Maine eliminating football any time soon.

Take a look at the spreadsheet . There is a lot of data and I have tried to make it accessible in several different ways. Let me know if you have any questions, find any errors or would like more information.

Sean
              No. You’re mistaken. Maine has 90-95 roster members the football program in a given year. There’s only 63 scholarships, which unlike FBS football, can be split up. So while there may be 12 or so players receiving no aid, that does not mean that the rest are receiving full aid. That’s the difference. Someone is paying for the remaining students to be enrolled, but it’s not the athletic department.

Comment

On the 11 team playoff that Hockey East Coaches want....good way to sour this all in is, 1 thru 5 get byes....and 6/11, 7/10 and 8/9 playoff but NOT a 3 game series...but a 1 and done playoff...bet if teams 6,7,8 lose and get knocked out that the Coaches change their tune on a all in Playoff. PLUS get going Hockey East and add a 12th team: Bentley? or Holy Cross?....a "REAL" good addition would be Quinnipiac, but they most likely are comfortable with the Conference there in [ECAC].

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                  No. You’re mistaken. Maine has 90-95 roster members the football program in a given year. There’s only 63 scholarships, which unlike FBS football, can be split up. So while there may be 12 or so players receiving no aid, that does not mean that the rest are receiving full aid. That’s the difference. Someone is paying for the remaining students to be enrolled, but it’s not the athletic department.
                  I never said any, let alone all, of the players received full athletic aid, I just pointed out that your statement that about 35 football players received no athletic aid was incorrect. Now if you are trying to say that the equivalent of about 35 (actually closer to 30) football players receive no aid, I don't dispute that.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Gustav had assist on game winner last night

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Gustav had assist on game winner last night

Timo Meier also was officially credited with an assist if you can believe that!

A complete goddammed atrocity last night. San Jose has won 3 of their 10 playoff games courtesy of insanely bad officiating.

Diego Maradona got away with less.
                      Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 05-16-2019, 09:25 AM.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

Timo Meier also was officially credited with an assist if you can believe that!

A complete goddammed atrocity last night. San Jose has won 3 of their 10 playoff games courtesy of insanely bad officiating.

Diego Maradona got away with less.
                        I've watched the replay about 20 times. Appears to me that Meier deflected the puck slightly -changing its trajectory by a hair- when his stick went back down to the ice after his initial whiff.

That would make that a good goal via the usual standards employed, and constitute an assist... But, yeah, we're talking a give-or-take a millimeter here.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-16-2019, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Road trip to Lowell will be November 8/9

Comment

So through the Alfond ice time google calendar, it appears that home dates have been set.

Su 10/6 4pm (Exhibition)
                            F 10/11 Alaska Anchorage
                            S 10/12 Alaska Anchorage
                            F 11/1
                            S 11/2
                            F 11/15
                            S 11/16
                            Su 12/29 4pm (has Maine ever been home between Christmas and New Years?)
                            F 1/3 Omaha
                            S 1/4 Omaha
                            S 1/11
                            F 1/31
                            S 2/1
                            F 2/7
                            F 2/14
                            S 2/15
                            F 2/21
                            S 2/22
                            F 3/6

*Edited to reflect changes.
                            Last edited by dunbar; 05-17-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                              So through the Alfond ice time google calendar, it appears that home dates have been set.

Su 10/6 4pm (Exhibition)
                              F 10/11 Alaska Anchorage
                              S 10/12 Alaska Anchorage
                              F 11/1
                              S 11/2
                              F 11/15
                              S 11/16
                              Su 12/29 4pm (has Maine ever been home between Christmas and New Years?)
                              F 1/3 Omaha
                              S 1/4 Omaha
                              F 1/10 (this date appears on 3/10, which is the Tuesday before the HE quarters, which I assume is an error)
                              S 1/11
                              F 1/31
                              S 2/1
                              F 2/7
                              F 2/14
                              S 2/15
                              F 2/21
                              S 2/22
                              I certainly can understand why they were trying to sell season tickets without the schedule being released.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                I certainly can understand why they were trying to sell season tickets without the schedule being released.
                                Yeh🤔. There's 4 games no one will go to.
                                No offense to the teams meant but attendance is rediculous anyway for out of conference games against ranked teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X