This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    I've been calling it a black hole because money goes in never to be seen again. The program loses over a million dollars a year, even with two cash games every season. And it could go 150-0 and win the next 10 national championships and it still wouldn't be in the neighborhood of profitable. It's also a headache for Title IX. Contrast that with hockey, which once was the most profitable Division I public program east of Ann Arbor and routinely cleared over $2 million in profits each year. This wasn't even the halcyon days of 42-1-2 and Harold Alfond's gold card; it was a decade ago. Now not a single program on campus makes a profit every season. Fix the hockey program and it can go back to paying for itself, and providing money to feed that black hole. It wouldn't take much of an investment to turn hockey around and return it to profitability. How much would we have to invest in football to make it profitable? Is that even possible given that only a relative handful of programs in the nation turn a profit?
    There’s approximately 35 members of the football program that don’t receive any financial aid, scholarship or otherwise, from the athletic department. The cost of those students to attend Maine do not count in the figures you reference. They do however, count towards general revenue for the University. Those students are paying tuitions, fees, etc. like any other student. That adds up to approximately $1 million annually. If there’s no football, those students aren’t here, nor is that money.

Also consider something else: how do you balance athletic scholarships without football? Either you cut women’s sports, or you have to add more men’s sports, which I would guarantee would lose more money than football does, simply because they wouldn’t be revenue sports.

Lastly...

A niche sport will not be profitable, especially when the niche sport desperately needs a new facility in the next decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by dunbar View Post
      There’s approximately 35 members of the football program that don’t receive any financial aid, scholarship or otherwise, from the athletic department. The cost of those students to attend Maine do not count in the figures you reference. They do however, count towards general revenue for the University. Those students are paying tuitions, fees, etc. like any other student. That adds up to approximately $1 million annually. If there’s no football, those students aren’t here, nor is that money.

Also consider something else: how do you balance athletic scholarships without football? Either you cut women’s sports, or you have to add more men’s sports, which I would guarantee would lose more money than football does, simply because they wouldn’t be revenue sports.

Lastly...

A niche sport will not be profitable, especially when the niche sport desperately needs a new facility in the next decade.
      Admit the next 35 students who were rejected because they couldn't play football.

Create a new women's crew team. Bonus: maybe we can con some rich celebrity to "buy" their kids onto the team.

That "niche sport" was profitable until 2015 or 2016. Has the football team ever turned a profit?

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
        You can’t assume that every game is a home and home. There’s only three games left to fill, so one cannot assume that Maine is hosting Princeton and going to St. Lawrence because they “should be” return games. There’s too many ECAC games on schedule for my liking anyways.
        What do you have? I have 2 Alaska-Anchorage, 2 Omaha, 2 @ Quinnipiac. Guessing 2 @ St. Lawrence so I'm not sure what the other 2 games would be? I know Princeton is out w their schedule full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
          What do you have? I have 2 Alaska-Anchorage, 2 Omaha, 2 @ Quinnipiac. Guessing 2 @ St. Lawrence so I'm not sure what the other 2 games would be? I know Princeton is out w their schedule full.
          12/10 @Yale

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            12/10 @Yale
            Is there a type of schedule out at the present time or are these leaks on some games as in UAA in October; Yale in December and Omaha in January.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Is there a type of schedule out at the present time or are these leaks on some games as in UAA in October; Yale in December and Omaha in January.
              Omaha and Anchorage games were confirmed when they released their schedules. There’s hasn’t been anything officially released to confirm the other games.

Comment

• Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                Omaha and Anchorage games were confirmed when they released their schedules. There’s hasn’t been anything officially released to confirm the other games.
                There is chatter that Maine opens the season at PC.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                  There is chatter that Maine opens the season at PC.
                  I honestly think that would be perfect. They’re games you don’t expect anything out of and there is every chance they have a clunker in one of the games.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                    Good to know, THANKS.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      I honestly think that would be perfect. They’re games you don’t expect anything out of and there is every chance they have a clunker in one of the games.
                      Every game counts...ask North Dakota. As always Maine will have a chance...imo a lot of teams in Hockey East got hit by early players leaving and graduation....BU lost many, but will reload, BC picked up the best goalie around in Spencer Knight, and York will rebound BC...PC has lost players plus the rumor mill that Ottawa is looking at Leaman has to make PC worried now and later on the recruiting trail. UML will always be a tough play with Bazin behind the bench...I think this NU team will finally feel the pain of losing players, especially Primeau in net. While the rest can be lumped into...who knows...are they better or worst coming into the season/ Vermont - Merrimack - UConn - UNH - Maine...the only team I think that will come back strong is UMass even by losing Makar....they have the goaltending and by going to the playoffs/ NCAA's and the Frozen 4 will build that program up....a season like that goes a long way in recruiting and confidence factor.

Comment

Gustav had 2 assists last night for San Jose

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Volunteer assistant Colton St. Clair has moved on to an assistant coaching job at Omaha(USHL).

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4608824-daily-skate-are-third-place-games-thing-past-college-hockey

Wonder if Walsh’s son moves up from video coordinator to volunteer assistant?

Comment

• Greg Moore, first year head coach in USHL, is coaching in the finals.

https://www.wabi.tv/content/sports/Former-Black-Bear-Moore-becoming-coaching-star-in-USHL-509776361.html

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                              Volunteer assistant Colton St. Clair has moved on to an assistant coaching job at Omaha(USHL).

https://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...college-hockey

Wonder if Walsh’s son moves up from video coordinator to volunteer assistant?
                              Isnt Walshys son at NYA head coach

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Isnt Walshys son at NYA head coach

He had three sons. One was at NYA and now is asst at Colby. His youngest is a student at UMaine and video coordinator, I was told.

Comment

Working...
                                X