X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Private schools have money, yes, but this is not the new development tied to “big schools taking hockey seriously” Ralph portrays it as.

These are all longtime power hockey schools. Whos taking it seriously that wasnt before? Penn State I guess? UMass we shall see.
    Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State.

But I would argue smaller schools like Quinnipiac and Union stepping up their programs has been more detrimental to UMaine. A generation ago there was a concentration of programs that took it seriously. Maine, Michigan, Minnesota etc were able to stockpile players so they had incredible depth. Mike Machnik, who did color commentary for Merrimack radio and remains a hockey writer of note, said of our 93 team that Maine had players in the stands that could have been first liners for Merrimack. Now they are. Instead of going to Lake State, Michigan Tech or Maine, players are going to one of the now 60 schools playing Division I college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State.
      Are they taking it more seriously, or is their hockey budget (while still likely larger than Maine's) just a rounding error in their overall athletic budget and Maine is scrounging under the ratty couch cushions to keep up?

Comment

To move forward and I mean move forward this Program won't do it with Dennis "Red" Gendron behind the bench next year or the year after that......and I don't need to talk in inches or the BAD Alfond Arena affect.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Are they taking it more seriously, or is their hockey budget (while still likely larger than Maine's) just a rounding error in their overall athletic budget and Maine is scrounging under the ratty couch cushions to keep up?
          In Pedo State's case, the program didn't even exist a few years ago. An 8-digit donation later and they're a major player. Notre Dame didn't get serious about hockey until 15 years ago. The Irish had a program but it never went anywhere. They didn't make the tournament until 2004. Ohio State made a bid for a coach who was a proven winner a generation ago, but he chose to stay at Maine (after getting a significant pay increase). The program had a brief glimmer immediately after and then went dormant again for two decades. It could be that ND and OSU always spent a load on hockey (they probably did) but it goes back to what I said previously: It still matters HOW you spend it. As long as the football and hoops teams were winning who really cared about hockey?

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            In Pedo State's case, the program didn't even exist a few years ago. An 8-digit donation later and they're a major player. Notre Dame didn't get serious about hockey until 15 years ago. The Irish had a program but it never went anywhere. They didn't make the tournament until 2004. Ohio State made a bid for a coach who was a proven winner a generation ago, but he chose to stay at Maine (after getting a significant pay increase). The program had a brief glimmer immediately after and then went dormant again for two decades. It could be that ND and OSU always spent a load on hockey (they probably did) but it goes back to what I said previously: It still matters HOW you spend it. As long as the football and hoops teams were winning who really cared about hockey?
            Make no mistake about state college, they were a program in waiting. The hockey culture around western PA and into middle is huge. There is no doubt they are on track to being a powerhouse.

Looks like AIC went to Europe to find players.

Maine maybe needs a better head coach and as much as it pains to say it... head recruiter. My hunch is Alfie is a gem and should be retained.

Not so sure Red and to a somewhat lesser extent Guite are what will make Maine get through those final few inches. In fact that was a kind way for me to say it. I think this coaching staff needs rebuilt because it is obvious Ralph is echoing what he’s heard from the leaders in the coaching staff.

Ralph seems to not truly have a finger on the pulse of the fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              Tim won Hockey East title in 2004. He actually had 24 Hockey East tournament wins in his college career at both UML and Maine.
              Full disclosure: I was fed-up with TW at the end of his run and was happy to see him go.

But no way in the world will Red even approach Tim's track-record, even if he coached 'til he's 80.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Full disclosure: I was fed-up with TW at the end of his run and was happy to see him go.

But no way in the world will Red even approach Tim's track-record, even if he coached 'til he's 80.
                And were stuck with him...if the article I read last week is any indication...he's on board for the next two season/no matter what...buckle up as the next two seasons could be like being on a roller coaster...no one knows what to expect...but the 6 years so far could be what to expect...excuses mixed in with what ifs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  And were stuck with him...if the article I read last week is any indication...he's on board for the next two season/no matter what...buckle up as the next two seasons could be like being on a roller coaster...no one knows what to expect...but the 6 years so far could be what to expect...excuses mixed in with what ifs.
                  C'mon, they're just inches away..............from being competitive in HE.

The NCAA's, that's gonna be a few more years. Get that contract extension ready.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

The NCAA's, that's gonna be a few more years. Get that contract extension ready.
                    Actually you make a great point. Red pulled Maine from being a little under par to smack dab in the middle of the conference. So that should be commended. At least a few more years are due since Red got Maine to mediocre... and only inches away.

I have no idea what this slogan means, I’ve heard him say it... only see the six inches in front of you. Sounds like a career assistant and not a leader. My guess is Red always could only be comfortable with the six inches in front of him.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      Actually you make a great point. Red pulled Maine from being a little under par to smack dab in the middle of the conference. So that should be commended. At least a few more years are due since Red got Maine to mediocre... and only inches away.

I have no idea what this slogan means, I’ve heard him say it... only see the six inches in front of you. Sounds like a career assistant and not a leader. My guess is Red always could only be comfortable with the six inches in front of him.
                      Well, since Red lost the weight, now he can finally see the six inches in front of him.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

These time frames on when these schools "got serious about hockey" are right in line with when the Big Ten's massive payouts started hitting the schools' coffers ($51M for long time members in 2018). It's easier for Ohio State to "care" about its 4th most important men's sport when there's an extra $30M lying around. It's easier for Penn State to "care" about hockey when yes, it gets a donation, AND it has a massive windfall. Notre Dame pulls in $80+M in football profits per year, per this article.

When you have $30M in cash sitting in your pocket, and you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT show a profit at the end of the year because people would complain you aren't paying your athletes, you throw millions at sports you just happen to have lying around. I'm sure the AD's at PSU, OSU and ND think it's nice that they have winning hockey teams, but if these teams played badminton instead, I don't think it would be felt as a great loss. Ohio State's "I don't really care about this program but I have to spend money" money is more than Maine's "I want this program to win more than anything" money. Maine probably cares more and takes hockey more seriously at an institutional level, but Ohio State can not give a **** and still put more into it.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

And you know better then that....inches....hahahahhaha on that one....there not even close....no matter how many early departures for teams in Hockey East, Gendron will shove his foot[maybe his is in inches]down his throat again...you know Frozen 4 in four years....Hockey East Title last year....more discipline in 2018-19 season....blah/blah/blah....he has the AD in his corner and there's no way he falls down and can't get up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            And you know better then that....inches....hahahahhaha on that one....there not even close....no matter how many early departures for teams in Hockey East, Gendron will shove his foot[maybe his is in inches]down his throat again...you know Frozen 4 in four years....Hockey East Title last year....more discipline in 2018-19 season....blah/blah/blah....he halls the AD in his corner and there's no way he falls down and can't get up.
                            Well, a mile is simply a few inches, as compared to the moon.
                            Last edited by NorthMike; 04-04-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              "Bergeron is in the fourth year of an eight-year contract with Bowling Green, and made $185,000 base salary this year, plus bonuses and benefits." from CHN
                              From USCHO

Comment

The obvious implication being, of course, that a "lower" salary cannot be used as an excuse by Red's defenders.

Comment

Working...
                                X