This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    The part about "parity" was very interesting. Billy Jaffe had a different take on that. He says there is not necessarily parity, but that some schools have figured out that a different "recruiting strategy' (essentially older players with a couple of blue chippers thrown in) seems to be what wins in the post-season now. The "old" paradigm of grabbing five NHL draft picks that will be one and done does not lend itself to providing stability, continuity and leadership.
    Was that ever the model? The Minnesota teams that had Kessel and Wheeler won nothing and Maine used to get ragged on for having 25 year olds and that was 15 years ago.

I guess you could point to BC but their national title teams had undersized big time scorers that were never going to be one and done sprinkled in

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
      Well why didn’t they say so... just inches away? Ha, let’s just each give a few thousand extra and truly get there!

Yeah right, Larry with a ****ty arse article. And the excuses from athletic leadership and Red... go sell crazy somewhere else. The fans at Alfond won’t buy this hogwash.
      Unfortunately, most fans will buy it. Attendance will still be 3500-3800 for each game. Change will only occur if fans stop supporting the program.

Comment

“We beat the best team in our league [regular-season champion Massachusetts] this year and went 5-1 against Boston University and Boston College. When was the last time that happened?” Gendron asked
        1992-93 when Maine was 7-1 combined against BU and BC (and Maine was the top team in Hockey East). Of course, BU and BC finished in 7th and 5th this season (and still made it to TD Garden).

“We have a responsibility. We have to put certain elements back into the program to give this team a chance,” Ralph said. “We’re going to have to be creative about how we find it."
        Mending fences with our most famous and incredibly generous alumnus would be a good way.

It must be pointed out that UMaine also has the lowest-paid coaching staff and smallest recruiting budget among Hockey East programs, according to a league source. Gendron last March signed at two-year contract extension through June 30, 2021, that pays him $213,282.08 per year. Assistants Ben Guite and Alfie Michaud combine to earn $160,906.60.
        A handful of Hockey East coaches earn more individually than the entire UMaine coaching staff. They include longtime Boston College coach Jerry York, who reportedly earns in excess of $1.2 million and Norm Bazin at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell takes home $465,000.
        The recruiting budget is a joke. And while a favorite topic in this thread has been the need to hire a young, hungry coach, even Greg Carvel who had four years of mediocre results in the ECAC earned 50% more than Gendron...and that was before the contract extension he signed through 2023.

As for Alfond, yeah the game-day atmosphere is great but for many of the recruits it isn't about atmosphere. Every player is different, but fancy facilities get their attention.

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        I know. And the bulk of recruits past and present say the reason they came to Maine was because of the atmosphere. The building and the fans are the selling point.
        These are the same recruits you all say aren't good enough. Maybe ask the kids who looked at Maine but chose other schools what they think of UMaine's facilities.

Comment

Alfond matches the campus.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Alfond matches the campus.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            ouch..

Comment

Many of these talented players don't make the decision to attend a particular school in a vacuum. They have family advisors who help make decisions that are in the players long term interests. It would be interesting to know what their opinion of Maine is.
              Last edited by Runsub5; 03-31-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                These are the same recruits you all say aren't good enough. Maybe ask the kids who looked at Maine but chose other schools what they think of UMaine's facilities.

Are our recruits better than AIC's? If yes, why are we underachieving?

If no, why? Their recruiting budget must be fantastical.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                  Many of these talented players don't make the decision to attend a particular school in a vacuum. They have family advisors who help make decisions that are in the players long term interests. It would be interesting to know what their opinion of Maine is.
                  "Got a coach who's always in your grill and yelling at you".
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    It's unbelievable to me how the AD and Gendron blame the facility for Maine's lack of success.
                    More so as the lack of support by the school could be solved by the school providing more support. The article mentioned Maine having the lowest paid coaching staff and that Coach Bazin at UML is paid more than all the Maine coaches combined. But what the article fails to mention is that part of the reason for Coach Bazin's salary is his team's success. It also fails to mention that when Coach Bazin was hired UML increased its financial support of the program by $756 thousand, from $1.375 million to $2.131 million, a 55% increase. And the total head coach compensation only increased $20,000 Coach Bazin's first season, although UML did payout $242 thousand in severance to Coach MacDonald that season, but which was then invested in the hockey program the following seasons. On the other hand, Maine's total coaching compensation slightly increased when Coach Gendron took over ($32,000), but the overall program budget was reduced slightly ($38,000). So besides hiring a new coach UML also stepped up with additional support, while Maine did not. My now out of date NCAA financial information for 2010-16 is available if anyone is interested in looking at.

As for Coach Gendron's progress, I have compiled the cumulative coaching records for the first eight seasons of every Hockey East coach who started at or after the formation of the league (so no Coaches Ceglarski, Parker, Flaman, Holt, Riley or Sterling). There have been 32 first year coaches since 1984 and Coach Gendron had the seventh best first season. But as the seasons have progressed his overall position dropped quite a lot (12 out of 29 second seasons, 19 out of 27 third season, 21 out of 25 fourth seasons, 18 out of 24 fifth seasons and 15 out of 20 sixth seasons). It can also be seen that most of the coaches considered among the best in the league were among the top within 6 seasons and winning the regular season and/or making postseason runs. This historical data indicates that it is unlikely that Coach Gendron will be any more successful in future seasons. If interested my spreadsheet also has every team's seasonal records and recent and all time cumulative records. Maine has not fared well over the past 5 and 10 seasons when compared to the other league teams.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      More so as the lack of support by the school could be solved by the school providing more support. The article mentioned Maine having the lowest paid coaching staff and that Coach Bazin at UML is paid more than all the Maine coaches combined. But what the article fails to mention is that part of the reason for Coach Bazin's salary is his team's success. It also fails to mention that when Coach Bazin was hired UML increased its financial support of the program by $756 thousand, from $1.375 million to $2.131 million, a 55% increase. And the total head coach compensation only increased $20,000 Coach Bazin's first season, although UML did payout $242 thousand in severance to Coach MacDonald that season, but which was then invested in the hockey program the following seasons. On the other hand, Maine's total coaching compensation slightly increased when Coach Gendron took over ($32,000), but the overall program budget was reduced slightly ($38,000). So besides hiring a new coach UML also stepped up with additional support, while Maine did not. My now out of date NCAA financial information for 2010-16 is available if anyone is interested in looking at.

As for Coach Gendron's progress, I have compiled the cumulative coaching records for the first eight seasons of every Hockey East coach who started at or after the formation of the league (so no Coaches Ceglarski, Parker, Flaman, Holt, Riley or Sterling). There have been 32 first year coaches since 1984 and Coach Gendron had the seventh best first season. But as the seasons have progressed his overall position dropped quite a lot (12 out of 29 second seasons, 19 out of 27 third season, 21 out of 25 fourth seasons, 18 out of 24 fifth seasons and 15 out of 20 sixth seasons). It can also be seen that most of the coaches considered among the best in the league were among the top within 6 seasons and winning the regular season and/or making postseason runs. This historical data indicates that it is unlikely that Coach Gendron will be any more successful in future seasons. If interested my spreadsheet also has every team's seasonal records and recent and all time cumulative records. Maine has not fared well over the past 5 and 10 seasons when compared to the other league teams.

Sean
                      Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        Mending fences with our most famous and incredibly generous alumnus .
                        Wasnt this the biggest reason Whitehead was canned? If Red hasnt gotten those people back on board in 6 years maybe hes not guy to do it.

I thought the Grant hockey forever fund and the nhl alum golf tourney were supposed to solve some of the money issues. Thats what I read in the BDN at the time. Two years later its still not enough?

Excuses are like etc etc

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Are our recruits better than AIC's? If yes, why are we underachieving?

If no, why? Their recruiting budget must be fantastical.
                          Because Maine plays in Hockey East and AIC plays in Atlantic Hockey? Maine's SOS this year was 18, AIC's was 50. Last season it was 54. Two seasons ago it was dead last (and they still finished 57 out of 60 teams).

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                            Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                              Wasnt this the biggest reason Whitehead was canned? If Red hasnt gotten those people back on board in 6 years maybe hes not guy to do it.

I thought the Grant hockey forever fund and the nhl alum golf tourney were supposed to solve some of the money issues. Thats what I read in the BDN at the time. Two years later its still not enough?

Excuses are like etc etc
                              I am focused on one person, not "those people" and fixing that particular rift is far above Red's pay grade IMHO. That problem was created by Blake James and his crew. That's a job for the school president and the AD. Of course, attempts may have been made and Stephen may have sicced Cujo on them when they came around. It's a 2-way street and if he isn't interested in helping his alma mater anymore there isn't much they can do.

As for the Forever Fund, the Savage Challenge or whatever other fundraisers, anyone have any figures? I haven't seen any in two or three years and those were pretty bleak.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                I am focused on one person, not "those people" and fixing that particular rift is far above Red's pay grade IMHO. That problem was created by Blake James and his crew. That's a job for the school president and the AD. Of course, attempts may have been made and Stephen may have sicced Cujo on them when they came around. It's a 2-way street and if he isn't interested in helping his alma mater anymore there isn't much they can do.

As for the Forever Fund, the Savage Challenge or whatever other fundraisers, anyone have any figures? I haven't seen any in two or three years and those were pretty bleak.
                                Fair on King specifically who knows where his minds at. He could still be mad they axxed cindy blodgett even though thats been proven right ten thousand times over. If Steve Abbott couldnt reach him I dont know how the guy from Colorado will.

3x FROZEN FOUR

Comment

Working...
                                X