X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    Gendron’s thoughts on recruiting rule change...

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/04/...positive-step/
    Link didn't work for me, but thanks for posting it.

I'm very weary of listening to Red's excuses, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      There's that, to a limited extent...

But, Portland is a great small city, it's not a bad ride from Eastern Mass on 95, and (IMO) it's a much more attractive destination than are Worcester/Manchester combined.

Maine isn't within a continent of getting to a Regional right now, but I do think that a Portland Regional would fare well if BU, BC, maybe even UNH were sited there. It's true that the lodging is somewhat pricey there, but there are plenty of rooms up and down Rt. 1 in the off-season.

(Somebody else said this, but why oh why do so many Mainers consider Cumberland County hostile territory? My people are from Fairfield, smack-dab in the middle of Nowhere, but I love it there, and I love Portland too. We have a little bit of everything in Maine.)
      I think Mariners dislike the people more than the place. Lot of whiners and people from away in southern maine. I’d also add a lot of them want to force their way of life on others where most mariners believe people can do whatever they want.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        I think Mariners dislike the people more than the place. Lot of whiners and people from away in southern maine. I’d also add a lot of them want to force their way of life on others where most mariners believe people can do whatever they want.
        There is resentment over politics. North of Lewiston believes south of Lewiston controls the political side of things. Therefore they will always be referred to as a flat lander. Despite Penobscot valley being as flat as can be. Having said this, I do believe north of Lewiston has been neglected. Big time.

Comment

There is resentment over politics. North of Lewiston believes south of Lewiston controls the political side of things. Therefore they will always be referred to as a flat lander. Despite Penobscot valley being as flat as can be. Having said this, I do believe north of Lewiston has been neglected. Big time.
          There's two Maine's...North and South.

Comment

South is where all the population is so.... Northern Maine is huge and is dying a slow death. Getting to the point where I'm working in southern Maine more than the local area.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Its plain old an economic divide, similar situations exist in most every state in this country.

I live in the north, realize it, accept it and prefer what it is. Personnaly hold absolutely no bitterness towards the southern part of the state. In fact Im grateful, as without that prosperity we would be some rough. Portland is a nice place to get to once in a while, many folks around here go there to visit. Many of the young people go there for work.

How this discussion started and relates to holding a regional in Portland escapes me. If the hockey was good, folks from up here would go, but probably not 3000 people.

Comment

• Originally posted by pmcdonald View Post
                I think it comes down to the Arena in Portland is sub-par even with the 30+ million dollar renovation. Portland should have put that money into a brand new arena.
                Portland has so much more to offer that Manchester, Worcester, Bridgeport and even Providence. Was just in Providence for this year's Regional and I was unimpressed with what is going on for nightlife after the games. Portland's Old Port, Craft Brew Scene, Restaurants, etc., etc. are outstanding.
                Disappointed that Portland didn't get a Regional.
                Odd, because one of the best FF experiences I ever had was in Providence in 2000. Better than Boston in 2004.

Course, that was when Buddy Cianci was mayor. Turned the whole area around the Dunk into a beer garden.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Odd, because one of the best FF experiences I ever had was in Providence in 2000. Better than Boston in 2004.

Course, that was when Buddy Cianci was mayor. Turned the whole area around the Dunk into a beer garden.
                  Providence was always a fun venue for FF hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    I think it’s economic resentment. People living in dying rural towns feel left behind and they visit Portland and see young people and somewhere that seems so much more vibrant than their gloomy decaying town.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      I think it’s economic resentment. People living in dying rural towns feel left behind and they visit Portland and see young people and somewhere that seems so much more vibrant than their gloomy decaying town.
                      Also Southern Maine is the economic driver of the state. The tiny towns in Aroostook County can all have their own high school because of a wealth transfer of Southern Maine's tax dollars. Then Northern Mainers ***** that Portland spends too much money on social services.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                        Also Southern Maine is the economic driver of the state. The tiny towns in Aroostook County can all have their own high school because of a wealth transfer of Southern Maine's tax dollars. Then Northern Mainers ***** that Portland spends too much money on social services.
                        Its the economic driver now but hasn't been that way for very long. Once Loring was shut down the end was near
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          Its the economic driver now but hasn't been that way for very long. Once Loring was shut down the end was near
                          Dow AFB in Bangor shutting down (yeah, it's been a while) didn't help either. My dad did many TDY's there, and the base was a big boon to the local economy.

But you and AMC and BassAle are right. Where would Maine be without the tax-revenue from the Southern area? Otherwise, I-95 might be a long dirt road north of Kittery.

Just to be clear, I have family all over the State from Millinocket to Portland, Skowhegan, Bucksport, Madison, Alfred, you name it, and I like being at any and all of those places. Maine offers a wide spectrum of choices, from wilderness to fancy eats.

It's all good, if you ask me. (Especially the fishing.)
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM.

Comment

While you're all lamenting closed military bases dont forget Brunswick NAS which served as the base for sub hunters and was our supply line to our base in Iceland. It also closed (as did Pease in New Hampshire). Devastated our economy along the coast. I believe every air base north of Andrews AFB has now been closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              While you're all lamenting closed military bases dont forget Brunswick NAS which served as the base for sub hunters and was our supply line to our base in Iceland. It also closed (as did Pease in New Hampshire). Devastated our economy along the coast. I believe every air base north of Andrews AFB has now been closed.
                              A guy I work with told me about this story http://www.islandinstitute.org/working-waterfront/defending-nation-downeast which I found very interesting. I’ve been thru the towns but didn’t know much about what the bases did.

It’s interesting we’re the only corner of the country with no real defense. I’m sure the powers that be know what they are doing, but you would think there would be at least one base between Boston and the border with fighters.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                I think you’re definitely right when it comes to the under 30 crowd. Social media and the internet must cause a lot more resentment than back in our day.

Comment

Working...
                                X