X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    It’s a great concept, just 10 years too late.
    Hopefully it brings some interest....

Comment

Originally posted by northmike View Post
      yeh, its a good deal and worth a good look for the recent alum. But personally not qualified, due to young and alum requirements. Doing an aarp discount would be cool.��
      +1

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
        Yeh, its a good deal and worth a good look for the recent alum. But personally not qualified, due to young and alum requirements. Doing an AARP discount would be cool.😁
        I like the alumni discount but not sure why there is a degree age restriction. Seems like ticket marketing getting too cute and accidentally ****ing on alumni. Is it too difficult to say hey if you are alumni you get a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          I like the alumni discount but not sure why there is a degree age restriction. Seems like ticket marketing getting too cute and accidentally ****ing on alumni. Is it too difficult to say hey if you are alumni you get a discount.
          Well your right that they should extend to all...they are trying, they have missed the boat for so long that even this may not bring in much interest. Will be interesting to see how this years ticket sales go with prices cut...maybe a slight surge...but with hockey, winning/improvement will be hard, football has taken the spot light especially if they have another good to great season. Could be a increase and then back to the same old/ same old....time will tell.

Comment

90% of big universities do this. Clemson football, Kentucky basketball, etc. The idea is that you've been going to games for free (some schools) or a reduced rate (other schools) as a student, and you aren't making enough money yet to be a season ticketholder at normal rates, and the schools don't want you to be completely out of the game for a few years until they can get their hooks into you for donations ,etc. So, you get a bit of a break for a few years until your income rises. If your income rises, because CEO pay is more important than worker pay, but that's not the point here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Well your right that they should extend to all...they are trying, they have missed the boat for so long that even this may not bring in much interest. Will be interesting to see how this years ticket sales go with prices cut...maybe a slight surge...but with hockey, winning/improvement will be hard, football has taken the spot light especially if they have another good to great season. Could be a increase and then back to the same old/ same old....time will tell.
              Villanova buried Colgate yesterday, and 'Nova wasn't even on the FCS radar (and expected to finish 9th in the CAA) while Colgate was ranked at #14 nationally. Very early returns of course, but that trends toward Maine.

Football has certainly deserved the spotlight in Orono of late, and why not? Seeing Maine hockey these past 7 years has been somewhat less interesting than watching paint dry. If not for football, Maine would have nothing like a National footprint in any sport aside from field hockey and women's hoops.

We're ticketed-up for the Colgate game, and hoping for a good start, and another playoff run. Last season was big fun.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-25-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Villanova buried Colgate yesterday, and 'Nova wasn't even on the FCS radar (and expected to finish 9th in the CAA) while Colgate was ranked at #14 nationally. Very early returns of course, but that trends toward Maine.

Football has certainly deserved the spotlight in Orono of late, and why not? Seeing Maine hockey these past 7 years has been somewhat less interesting than watching paint dry. If not for football, Maine would have nothing like a National footprint in any sport aside from field hockey and women's hoops.

We're ticketed-up for the Colgate game, and hoping for a good start, and another playoff run. Last season was big fun.
                Last season was a lot of fun for all during the FB season...hoping for a BIG crowd Friday night to open the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  Last season was a lot of fun for all during the FB season...hoping for a BIG crowd Friday night to open the season.
                  Football is where it's at for the short term, and yes, a rabid crowd on Friday is deserved after last year.

Maine should roll Sacred Heart. If not, I'll be worried.

Comment

I can't see Maine football repeating last year with a new coach but hopefully they can as last year was fun. Maybe picking the new coach from last years staff helps with continuity and keeps some of the systems in place? The pressure will be higher this season
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      I can't see Maine football repeating last year with a new coach but hopefully they can as last year was fun. Maybe picking the new coach from last years staff helps with continuity and keeps some of the systems in place? The pressure will be higher this season
                      Oh there will be Questions for sure...New Coach and how he handles it? Will not sneak up on anyone this year/teams will be aware of Maine...How they fare in close games, as in winning them....but all in all they are in very good position to play at a top level...CAA play is ALWAYS tough....but they have the mind-set and talent to have a winning season and get into the Playoff picture...my main concern is keeping Ferguson healthy, and in a system that he does not go out and gets injured....but there is hope and promise for the upcoming FB season at Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Im cautiously optimistic. This league eats its young. Like Fishman said, Nova just devoured Colgate. Maine could easily play just as well as last year but flip 2 close games and be last team out of the playoffs. The margin for error is that thin in the CAA.

Tough news out of UNH with coach Sean McDonnell out for a while with health issue. Want that Musket but I want it from him! Get well soon!

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          Im cautiously optimistic. This league eats its young. Like Fishman said, Nova just devoured Colgate. Maine could easily play just as well as last year but flip 2 close games and be last team out of the playoffs. The margin for error is that thin in the CAA.

Tough news out of UNH with coach Sean McDonnell out for a while with health issue. Want that Musket but I want it from him! Get well soon!
                          Yeah, every CAA game among the better teams feels like a crap-shoot. Pins and needles every Saturday. No 3rd-quarter lead ever seems safe.

Yet, Maine has somehow recruited well for several years, and has been in the mix for some time now, while bucking the odds.

Would love to see the Bears back in the equation this season, and -I'll say it- it appears that they have a good shot at that.

Comment

From the 60 Days/60 Teams/600 words piece for Gopher Hockey Blog

Outside an overtime loss to UNH, the only schools who beat Maine during 2019 made the NCAA Tournament. The Black Bears defeated Boston University 6-0, split with Providence and Massachusetts, and beat Boston College and young Oliver Wahlstrom three times, including a 7-2 rout in Chestnut Hill. Only Northeastern found a way to stay unbeaten (4-0-0) during that stretch.

--

If anyone best represents Maine, it's Swayman. Despite having represented the US in the World Juniors, the goaltender quietly and successfully faced his share of shots. He made more saves than any other underclassmen. A .919 save percentage is respectable from a team that finished below .500. When things go well, it's flawless. When they don't, the mistakes and goals pile up.

Like Yale, the Black Bears have had highs and lows (as well as undefeated when leading after two periods and winless when losing after two periods). Maine got support from its top line of Mitchell Fossier-Chase Pearson-Eduards Tralmaks and really got going when its second line of Brendan Robbins-Tim Doherty-Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup did. Like Boston College, the sport has been becoming used to the Black Bears not being a Frozen Four regular (although even more in Maine's case).

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

I still say scheduling two FBS games is stupid. The margin for error basically disappears.

Comment

because young alumni have less disposable income, but have a more recent connection to the school. they're probably trying to put younger butts in the seats -- most are full of old geezers that might keel over any minute (at least that's how it was when I gave up my season tickets)

Comment

Working...
                                X