This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Good for Pearson and Keeper not so good for Maine Hockey.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

So happy for Chase and Brady to take the next step towards living their dreams. Such different paths! Chase drafted and Brady a hidden gem (google search "Cross Lake Manitoba"). As a fan, the greatest enjoyment I get from following junior and college hockey is watching young hockey players develop. It was a pleasure watching these young men develop as hockey players, leaders, and men over the past couple of years. May their ultimate dreams of one day playing in the NHL come true.

Also, extremely happy that the NCAA did not hijack an additional year away from Chase's development plan. Chase was originally slated to be apart of the previous class in Orono, which would have made him a senior this year. He was taking additional coursework to earn in high school diploma - which as an August birthday is not unusual. Instead the NCAA denied his eligibility a couple of weeks prior to his potential arrival in Orono.
      UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

There goes my hot take from yesterday about Pearson sticking around. Might Fossier follow? They were best friends after all...

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
          There goes my hot take from yesterday about Pearson sticking around. Might Fossier follow? They were best friends after all...
          I'm hoping not, but I wouldn't be shocked at this point. Fossier's skating is pretty rough but he is as crafty as a player we've had since Flynn/Abbott and sees the ice incredibly well. I love the way he plays.

The loss of Keeper really hurts, he was one of the few guys who was solid always out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
            Ignore everything I just said if Pearson and Keeper are gone. But it is funny that Red can’t recruit, yet two players are leaving early to go pro.
            Tired of playing on mediocre teams for a mediocre coach? Not wanting to go through another season like the last couple?
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
              Right. That’s why they played well enough at the college level for NHL teams to want to sign them. Come on.
              Ok so lets stipulate that hes recruiting all these great players, for the sake of argument, why cant he win any playoff games? You cant have it both ways: Either the team stinks and hes a good coach hamstrung by the talent or the teams talented and hes a lousy coach.

Either way the buck stop with him. The scoreboard dont lie.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                If you go back through the history of Maine hockey in most of the most famous wins Maine has given up two or more goals. You’re playing with fire if you expect to win 1-0 or 2-1.
                In the Hockey East Semis/Finals and NCAA tournament Maine is 6-4 in 1-0 or 2-1 games. The most famous 2-1 wins would be the 1999 Frozen Four victory over Boston College and the Hockey East Championship in 2004 over UMass. That 2004 team also had a 1-0 win over BU in the semis and later handed both Wisconsin (in the East Regional) and BC (at the Frozen Four) 2-1 defeats before famously falling 1-0 in the final.

Maine is 34-3 in combined play when scoring four or more goals. Maine's 1993 title came with 4-3 and 5-4 wins in the Frozen Four. Maine is a perfect 6-0 in 5-4 games in the HEA/NCAA tournaments.

Maine is 10-2 when giving up 0 or 1 goals, 15-3 when surrendering 2 goals and 19-27 when opponents score 3+

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  Ok so lets stipulate that hes recruiting all these great players, for the sake of argument, why cant he win any playoff games? You cant have it both ways: Either the team stinks and hes a good coach hamstrung by the talent or the teams talented and hes a lousy coach.

Either way the buck stops with him. The scoreboard doesn't lie.
                  I'll throw in my two cents as an outsider. Saying they "don't have enough talent" doesn't mean they're horrible. It's not "either/or." The distinction is a fine one. I saw it yesterday with BU/UML. UML has mostly grinders that work hard but couldn't put the puck in the net. BU was flying in the first period and entering the zone at will. A perfect two on one right on the tape for a blistering one-timer defined the tone for the game. You can't "coach" that. Either you have the talent or you don't. If you don't, that doesn't mean they're not working as hard as they can. But that's not good enough to get to the next level.

So, of course, this response doesn't give any suggestion for how you DO improve the talent level (and that's NOT disparaging anyone on the team, but some people think that they should just "play better" regardless - mental mistakes, a feel for the game, knowing where to be and when - are all components of talent).

I'm not taking any sides for or against Gendron because I have no idea. I'm just saying that your concerns are being voiced on every thread on this board where the fans feel that the team is "underachieving."

Comment

NCAA made an oopsie and released Womens Bball bracket before espn show at 7pm. Maine Women at NCState Saturday at 1pm on espn2. Maine is a 14 seed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Mac910 View Post
                      I'm hoping not, but I wouldn't be shocked at this point. Fossier's skating is pretty rough but he is as crafty as a player we've had since Flynn/Abbott and sees the ice incredibly well. I love the way he plays.

The loss of Keeper really hurts, he was one of the few guys who was solid always out there.
                      Completely agree about Fossier. Everytime he got the puck I sit up straighter to see what he is going to do. Love to watch him.

Good luck to Chase and Brady.
                      Complete bummer for maine.
                      But this is whats great about college hockey. Watch players develop and move up in their pursuit. There are always holes to fill and players come in to step into new roles.
                      Things aways look bleak after.
                      Time for recruiting!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

Either way the buck stop with him. The scoreboard dont lie.
                        A = B. All you Red haters on here have said he can’t recruit talent and that he hasn’t recruited any players with hands. That’s not true. But it also doesn’t mean he’s bringing in a team of five-star recruits. I’m sorry to say this, but I believe those days are over in Orono.

Let’s be honest. Playing hockey in Orono, ME is a tough sell when you play in a league with the likes of BC, Providence, Northeastern, UMass, BU and other big money schools. There’s a reason why Maine, Vermont, Merrimack and UNH have been struggling. They’re all lower-budget schools that struggle to attract a full team loaded with talent.

I guess if I were to put fault on anyone it would be the University of Maine. The facilities/budget just aren’t on point with a lot of other schools in the country. We saw that with the football program when half the football staff left for better paying jobs after the season.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post
                          A = B. All you Red haters on here have said he can’t recruit talent and that he hasn’t recruited any players with hands. That’s not true. But it also doesn’t mean he’s bringing in a team of five-star recruits. I’m sorry to say this, but I believe those days are over in Orono.

Let’s be honest. Playing hockey in Orono, ME is a tough sell when you play in a league with the likes of BC, Providence, Northeastern, UMass, BU and other big money schools. There’s a reason why Maine, Vermont, Merrimack and UNH have been struggling. They’re all lower-budget schools that struggle to attract a full team loaded with talent.

I guess if I were to put fault on anyone it would be the University of Maine. The facilities/budget just aren’t on point with a lot of other schools in the country. We saw that with the football program when half the football staff left for better paying jobs after the season.
                          I see your point. If they had more budget to work with they would buy out Red and hire a better coach giving a higher salary.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                              I see your point. If they had more budget to work with they would buy out Red and hire a better coach giving a higher salary.
                              Ouch...

Comment

The way people here talk about Maine, you'd think they were a sub-10 win team playing a weak schedule, instead of a .500 team playing a top third schedule in terms of difficulty.

The losses sustained today and possibly going forward are a huge blow, though, and none of the incoming freshmen really impress me like Schmitty, Dawe, or Tralmaks did when I monitored them prior to their Orono arrival. A step back is most likely in the cards, and while I will still maintain the prior season was not awful, a step back is not at all what they need.

Comment

Working...
                                X