This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019: Offseason Approaching

Vermont is already playing the maximum allowable number of games. As I'm sure is BU. You need another team that is losing scheduled Alaska games to have any hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
      Vermont is already playing the maximum allowable number of games. As I'm sure is BU. You need another team that is losing scheduled Alaska games to have any hope.
      Well then, looks like we are relying on Alaska to pull through, since the other OOC opponents besides us (Denver, Penn St, and Arizona St for Fairbanks, and Omaha for Anchorage) are all busy that weekend and the other WCHA teams will have bigger worries than us if two of their teams suddenly evaporate. That settles that debate I suppose.

Comment

In the event that the UA's fold, I think Maine would have to see if the WCHA reworks the conference schedule since it would be unbalanced. IF the conference does reschedule then the WCHA members and the schools like Maine that were set to play the Alaska schools can work something out, but again this all has to happen quickly. If the WCHA cannot work out a new schedule at this late date then Maine is SOL.

We don't know what is happening behind the scenes, but one hopes there are some "what if" discussions happening.
        Last edited by ticapnews; 07-11-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Hockey East hardware...

The All-Academic Team included 18 UMaine players

Maine (18)
          Samuel Becker +
          Simon Butala
          Tim Doherty ***
          Mitchell Fossier ***^
          Oliver Herner **
          Adrian Holesinsky
          Robert McGovern ***
          Rob Michel
          Keith Muehlbauer ***
          Stephen Mundinger ***
          Canon Pieper **
          Jack Quinlivan **
          Samuel Rennaker
          Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup
          Ryan Smith
          Cameron Spicer **
          Veli-Matti Tiuraniemi **
          Emil Westerlund **

Muelbauer and Fossier both made the All-Star team.

** two-time honoree
          *** three-time honoree
          + Distinguished Scholar (3.0 in each semester of four varsity seasons)
          ^ Top Scholar Athlete (Highest GPA in Hockey East)

Comment

I looked at the schedule a bit more, and I had come up with two separate scenarios for how Maine could remedy their potential loss of two home games in the event of Alaska going down, but I managed to lose them both before posting. Essentially, Maine's best bet at a replacement opponent in the same slot as the Anchorage games is probably Denver, who is scheduled to play at Fairbanks the weekend before. With a few schedule modifications it looks pretty feasible to make it work, I could write out my full reasoning again and post if anyone's interested. Going from Anchorage to Denver is about a dramatic jump in quality of an opponent you can get, though, so it would definitely be interesting if it did shake out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
              I looked at the schedule a bit more, and I had come up with two separate scenarios for how Maine could remedy their potential loss of two home games in the event of Alaska going down, but I managed to lose them both before posting. Essentially, Maine's best bet at a replacement opponent in the same slot as the Anchorage games is probably Denver, who is scheduled to play at Fairbanks the weekend before. With a few schedule modifications it looks pretty feasible to make it work, I could write out my full reasoning again and post if anyone's interested. Going from Anchorage to Denver is about a dramatic jump in quality of an opponent you can get, though, so it would definitely be interesting if it did shake out that way.
              My guess is that if the Alaska schools have to fold, the WCHA will reconfigure the schedule and after that the non-conference opponents of UAA and UA will have a chance to schedule other WCHA teams. If the WCHA can't do that, then it is possible Maine tries to find someone like Denver who will lose games with Alaska - but remember that games in Alaska do not count toward the 34 game limit imposed by the NCAA. Denver is already at the limit; the games in Alaska are exempted.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                My guess is that if the Alaska schools have to fold, the WCHA will reconfigure the schedule and after that the non-conference opponents of UAA and UA will have a chance to schedule other WCHA teams. If the WCHA can't do that, then it is possible Maine tries to find someone like Denver who will lose games with Alaska - but remember that games in Alaska do not count toward the 34 game limit imposed by the NCAA. Denver is already at the limit; the games in Alaska are exempted.
                I keep forgetting about the game limit, so maybe I should just stop posting about this topic. Do you think exceptions could be granted to schools who were scheduled for Fairbanks and Anchorage, though? That might make things a lot easier, and it would be for one season only, as if the schools do fold I'm sure everyone else could figure out a replacement schedule for 2020-21 with a year plus in advance to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                  I keep forgetting about the game limit, so maybe I should just stop posting about this topic. Do you think exceptions could be granted to schools who were scheduled for Fairbanks and Anchorage, though? That might make things a lot easier, and it would be for one season only, as if the schools do fold I'm sure everyone else could figure out a replacement schedule for 2020-21 with a year plus in advance to plan.
                  At this point anything is possible. There isn't any precedence I'm aware of. I can't think of any time a university folded up its entire athletics department a month before the year began...

Keep posting. We all overlook things. Better to post it and get it corrected than keep thinking the wrong thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Why dont games in AK count against the 34?
                    Special ncaa consession to AK made years back?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      Why dont games in AK count against the 34?
                      Special ncaa consession to AK made years back?
                      Yes. Games in Alaska, the Hall of Fame game, one exhibition and one game against the national team are exempt. A few years ago when Maine played two exhibitions a few years ago, the second counted towards the 34 game limit.

Comment

Next step for University of Alaska: Declaration of Financial Exigency

In addition to the declaration of financial exigency, the Board of Regents
                        will discuss three organizational restructuring options for moving forward:

* Create a leaner UA by assigning each university a prorated share of
                        the budget reduction
                        * Eliminate one or more universities and/or community campuses
                        * Consolidate the university within a single accreditation with shared
                        courses and services

Johnsen said all three approaches will require close cooperation with the Northwest Commission for Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), the group that provides UA with institutional accreditation. Maintaining accreditation for UA programs is of paramount importance, and UA leadership will continue regular conversations with NWCCU.
                        I can't envision athletics surviving this. If I were a betting man I'd put money on no games at Alfond 11/12 October.

Comment

Im not buying those tickets, yet anyway.

Comment

If Fairbanks and Anchorage both fold, why wouldn't the opponents they have scheduled for a weekend just play each other? Seems like the simplest way to round out the schedule.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

The week that Anchorage is/was in Maine, Fairbanks is/was at Michigan Tech. Unless you want Maine to volunteer for that trip to Houghton, I'm sure both teams are equally disinterested in travelling to the other.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                                If Fairbanks and Anchorage both fold, why wouldn't the opponents they have scheduled for a weekend just play each other? Seems like the simplest way to round out the schedule.
                                If Maine plays at Michigan Tech, the Black Bears begin with six straight road games and don't play a home game until 1 November.
                                If Michigan Tech comes to Orono, the Huskies begin with seven straight road games and don't play a home game until 8 November.

Comment

Working...
                                X