Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

A rather concise article on the topic...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ica-has-become

Comment

Re: Who Said That Some Universities and Their Athletic Departments Aren't Corrupt?

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Okay, I was kind of skimming. I don't get why would somebody pay that much for admission to USC? It's a good school, but there are plenty of schools with equivalent reputations.
      This is exactly what I said to my wife last night -- why is USC in the same breath as all these other very elite schools? (And for full disclosure, I am not ragging on USC. I'm a huge USC football fan -- my father started his graduate degree there, which is why. And my mother finished her undergraduate degree at UCLA. It was always a fun gender dynamic in our family during the USC-UCLA football game.)

Then, I followed that up with it must be because a lot of these folks in this scam are Hollywood folks, and USC is a premier film (and to some degree, acting) school. That's why they want their kids to be able to go there, if that's what the kid wanted.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Then, I followed that up with it must be because a lot of these folks in this scam are Hollywood folks, and USC is a premier film (and to some degree, acting) school. That's why they want their kids to be able to go there, if that's what the kid wanted.
        There's also an element that people look at a university that's strong in their field, and assume that it is equally strong in all of them. My father, a political science professor, tends to judge the quality of a school by it poli sci department.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          There's also an element that people look at a university that's strong in their field, and assume that it is equally strong in all of them. My father, a political science professor, tends to judge the quality of a school by it poli sci department.
          I will agree that I tend to judge schools by their reputation in math, but I also know there are other disciplines. The fact is there is no school that is worth hiring somebody to take your SATs, and dupe admissions into thinking that you are a star athlete. What kind of self esteem do these people have? It's like being proud of a grade you got by hiring coursehero.com to write a paper for you (which is how I assume these "students" figured they'd get by once they got in).
          Last edited by NUProf; 03-15-2019, 10:19 AM.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            I will agree that I tend to judge schools by their reputation in math, but I also know there are other disciplines. The fact is there is no school that is worth hiring somebody to take your SATs, and dupe admissions into thinking that you are a star athlete. What kind of self esteem do these people have? It's like being proud of a grade you got by hiring coursehero.com to write a paper for you (which is how I assume these "students" figured they'd get by once they got in).
            In a number of the instances in this case, the student was never told about the shenanigans their parents were up to. In one case, the kid was baffled when his interviewer asked him about being an athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
              In a number of the instances in this case, the student was never told about the shenanigans their parents were up to. In one case, the kid was baffled when his interviewer asked him about being an athlete.
              Same thing can be said for parent pride under these circumstances. "My kid got into Harvard and so proud of him/her (of course I paid $1,000,000 to grease the admissions wheels, but its my kid)."

Comment

I've seen a couple articles now about Lawsuits being filed against these universities by highly qualified students who were rejected by them. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.
                UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                  I've seen a couple articles now about Lawsuits being filed against these universities by highly qualified students who were rejected by them. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.
                  While I sympathize I think it may be hard to prove that they were the one not admitted over all the others

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                    While I sympathize I think it may be hard to prove that they were the one not admitted over all the others
                    No doubt. But if nothing else, it gives them a little bit of revenge forcing these schools to deal with the lawsuits.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      No doubt. But if nothing else, it gives them a little bit of revenge forcing these schools to deal with the lawsuits.
                      ...and get the truth out via sworn testimony under oath.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I am afraid my nephew is going to go to jail. He had to pay $300 to be on the UM crew team. He is always complaining his knees hurt, too. Of course, he was already admitted to the U, and Crew is club for men, and the $300 is to pay for the boathouse fees. As far as lazy reporting about the scholarships, I am sure the reporters ran into the explanation about how Ivy's don't give athletic scholarships when talking about their fakey athletic scholarships, and just decided it was easier to use the term.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Loved Kellyanne Conway's tweet: "They worried their daughters are as stupid as their mothers."
                          Where do I click on like on here?
                          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                            There are large numbers of well qualified students who didn't get in. Proving that they were the one who would have gotten the spot instead of one of these frauds is very difficult to do. Somebody was denied, but who?

Comment

And there's another larger decision to be argued in the courts: to what extend should private institutions be allowed to develop and adhere to their own admission criteria?
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                And there's another larger decision to be argued in the courts: to what extend should private institutions be allowed to develop and adhere to their own admission criteria?
                                This is, I think, an interesting question, but not one that is at all relevant to this particular scandal, since these were individuals who were fraudulently circumventing the institutions' admission criteria. There is extensive litigation ongoing concerning affirmative action admissions policies at private as well as public universities. However, the most direct parallel to what happened here, namely schools granting admission to students whose parents provided large donations to the university, is extremely unlikely to be found to be illegal were someone to sue over it, as "insufficiently wealthy to make large donations" is not a protected class under federal law.

Comment

Working...
                                X