Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not great. One of the most promising things going into next year was that we were returning a significant portion of our scoring, but Hayhurst had a point on a third of our goals.
    Well. I guess my concern about the t shirt toss is small potatoes. Here we are looking at the in coming recruits and Reilly not leaving as hopeful signs for building on this past season. And the suggestions being advanced here to increase fan enthusiasm and increased attendance are constructive,positive ideas. Now another setback.
    I certainly hope this is for purely academic reasons. Otherwise........

Comment

That's a kick in the sack. I wonder if this will stop a) after Seth's recruits have fully flushed through the system and/or b) RPI becomes a program of enough prominence that players want to come and stay. I've noticed the recruiting of players in D1 programs is rather prevalent this year, and RPI isn't immune to this. However, RPI has far fewer top players coming in, so upper-echelon programs/educations (HE, Ivy) can come in and cherry-pick.

OTOH, I'd love to know the discussion that went down, and these players not honoring their commitment. Do they feel the Institute has let them down in their part of the commitment?

Gah!
      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
        OK. We were doing a heck of a lot better in the WLT department when he was injured.

Comment

• RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
          That's a kick in the sack. I wonder if this will stop a) after Seth's recruits have fully flushed through the system and/or b) RPI becomes a program of enough prominence that players want to come and stay. I've noticed the recruiting of players in D1 programs is rather prevalent this year, and RPI isn't immune to this. However, RPI has far fewer top players coming in, so upper-echelon programs/educations (HE, Ivy) can come in and cherry-pick.

OTOH, I'd love to know the discussion that went down, and these players not honoring their commitment. Do they feel the Institute has let them down in their part of the commitment?

Gah!
          It’s surprising because when the Record did its wrap up two weeks after the end of the season (and presumably well after the coach had his year end meeting with each player) they talked about Hayhurst as a returnee. I wonder when he notified Smith. Then again, the signing of Mahshie, who I now suspect may be taking Hayhurst’s scholarship, was a week before the wrap up. Perplexing?

If Mahshie isn’t on Jacob’s ride is there even the slightest chance Fontaine might recommit if offered a Polacek (an RPI offer to enroll a year or two earlier than the big boys want)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by rpi82; 04-16-2019, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Assuming he does indeed leave I wish him well. He gave 110% every shift. Despite the string of set backs I still think the team is moving in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              It’s surprising because when the Record did its wrap up two weeks after the end of the season (and presumably well after the coach had his year end meeting with each player) they talked about Hayhurst as a returnee. I wonder when he notified Smith. Then again, the signing of Mahshie, who I now suspect may be taking Hayhurst’s scholarship, was a week before the wrap up. Perplexing?

If Mahshie isn’t on Jacob’s ride is there even the slightest chance Fontaine might recommit if offered a Polacek (an RPI offer to enroll a year or two earlier than the big boys want)?

Given we're already overloaded as it is for recruits this upcoming year, I doubt we'll see any reconsiders. Plus, if he wanted to withdraw after Jewell leaving, why would we expect he'd be happy without the AC he wanted to work under?

We're only going to start being successful when we stop worrying about who we don't have, and starting caring about who we do.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Given we're already overloaded as it is for recruits this upcoming year, I doubt we'll see any reconsiders. Plus, if he wanted to withdraw after Jewell leaving, why would we expect he'd be happy without the AC he wanted to work under?

We're only going to start being successful when we stop worrying about who we don't have, and starting caring about who we do.
                Do we know that Fontaine’s change of heart is related to Jewell? Was he even the lead recruiter at Lawrence Academy? D-I ACs change frequently so presuming one will still be there upon enrollment several years later, much less throughout the course of a college career, seems questionable at best. Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that playing under a goalie AC was his motivation for committing. If anything I would think it was either Smith or Graham as they were both experienced coaching forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                  Excuse my ignorance, but what does "in the transfer portal" mean?

Does it mean Hayhurst has committed to transferring and enrolling at another school? If so, which one? If not, does it mean he has signed some sort of paper saying he is absolutely, positively going to transfer to some other school, even though he hasn't yet decided which school that will be? Or does it mean he's willing to think about transferring to some other school, but reserves the right to return to RPI if he decides there are no more attractive alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                    Excuse my ignorance, but what does "in the transfer portal" mean?

Does it mean Hayhurst has committed to transferring and enrolling at another school? If so, which one? If not, does it mean he has signed some sort of paper saying he is absolutely, positively going to transfer to some other school, even though he hasn't yet decided which school that will be? Or does it mean he's willing to think about transferring to some other school, but reserves the right to return to RPI if he decides there are no more attractive alternatives?
                    my understanding is that when you put your name on that list your saying your available not a mortal lock to go.

Comment

• RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                      my understanding is that when you put your name on that list your saying your available not a mortal lock to go.
                      That’s correct. It’s a pretty new process and being listed on the site means other schools can talk to him. It doesn’t mean he has to go, but openly advertising that he’d like to transfer makes it unlikely he’d come back. In fact, once declared I assume coaches cross such players off their roster and move on with deciding how to spend the available scholarship dollars. There’s nothing that says they even have to let a player come back if he changes his mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                        I'd been told that he had to be convinced to come back last year ...he ain't changing his mind, IMO.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          I'd been told that he had to be convinced to come back last year ...he ain't changing his mind, IMO.
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            That’s correct. It’s a pretty new process and being listed on the site means other schools can talk to him. It doesn’t mean he has to go, but openly advertising that he’d like to transfer makes it unlikely he’d come back. In fact, once declared I assume coaches cross such players off their roster and move on with deciding how to spend the available scholarship dollars. There’s nothing that says they even have to let a player come back if he changes his mind.

Thanks for info. As a single father who put two kids thru college it really caught my eye when it came out that drew melanson was paying 70K for grad school at BU. It just struck me as nuts.I don`t think much if any athletic scholarship money is out there for grad students.

Comment

"I can confirm that Jacob Hayhurst has made the decision to transfer based on his own personal criteria," Smith said....... https://dailygazette.com/article/201...t-transferring
                              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                                Thanks for info. As a single father who put two kids thru college it really caught my eye when it came out that drew melanson was paying 70K for grad school at BU. It just struck me as nuts.I don`t think much if any athletic scholarship money is out there for grad students.
                                Having my youngest child graduating in a few weeks I understand. It’s been eight years of major tuition payments. I believe in Jacob’s case, however, since he still has collegiate eligibility, he can receive scholarship dollars. Melanson joined a full BU roster. However, they’ve lost a huge portion of their roster in the last few weeks so it wouldn’t surprise me if BU offered Jacob significant scholarship support.

Comment

Working...
                                X