Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Zieky and Polino would have been double digit scorers if they had played every game. Barely in the case of Polino.
    Almost only counts in darts and chuck a puck.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
      Almost only counts in darts and chuck a puck.
      Don't forget horseshoes and hand grenades ...
      I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        To be fair, it's not like we could have gone in the other direction...
        Yes If your going to fire Appert you need almost immediate improvement and In 2 years so far I’m not seeing that. Let’s remember Appert let fridgens guys all stay for most part and play and he left
        Cupboard bare. How many of apperts guys led team in points this year.
        I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
          Yes If your going to fire Appert you need almost immediate improvement and In 2 years so far I’m not seeing that. Let’s remember Appert let fridgens guys all stay for most part and play and he left
          Well the women won 4 more wins than the men and took Cornell to 3 games and had a goaltender whose name should hang from the rafters of the HFH. I went to several games. Lots of fun. And I was told they have some very good players coming in next year. Hopefully the men can follow the women’s lead.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
            +1. SA had a better record for his first two years than current occupant does. W/out Savory this was a 6 or 7 win team. Seat will become hot next year if this is repeated; especially in light of attendance problems at HFH.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
              +1. SA had a better record for his first two years than current occupant does. W/out Savory this was a 6 or 7 win team. Seat will become hot next year if this is repeated; especially in light of attendance problems at HFH.
              But Smith's winning percentage improved from year 1 to year 2 while Appert's got worse. One can prove whatever one wants.

Neither coach did a great job his first couple of years. SA was given 11 years and had a generally downward trend,. I hope that Smith does not get nearly that much with similar or even slightly better results.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

But Smith's winning percentage improved from year 1 to year 2 while Appert's got worse. One can prove whatever one wants.

Neither coach did a great job his first couple of years. SA was given 11 years and had a generally downward trend,. I hope that Smith does not get nearly that much with similar or even slightly better results.
                SA always played way tougher schedule IMHO; even in the early years. Cupboard was not as bare for DS. Next year is the tell Ralph.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  There have been a couple of comments about poor play this weekend. We certainly looked very nervous in both games, but we did not quit.
                  We have to give credit to Yale. They were the better team and they played with poise. Like they have been there before.
                  We will be better next year, but unless someone learns how to score on a regular basis, we will not get very far in the standings.
                  I agree. I had wanted to go to New Haven, but I had other obligations and watched portions of the games online instead. I'll add that I think the team ran out of gas after the Colgate OT loss after working hard to try and turn the season around. Legs looked heavy since last weekend against Harvard and Dartmouth. And that doesn't help when you aren't the fastest team to begin with and you tend to leave players unmarked in the slot. I don't want to single out players in particular games, but there were a few moments this weekend when we had golden chances to score and shift momentum and we couldn't get it done.

The team didn't quit and played hard. There is a lot to build on, but we need to find some more goals and improve team speed. Best of luck to Tommy, Miers, Chase, and Brady.

Comment

SA always played way tougher schedule IMHO; even in the early years. Cupboard was not as bare for DS. Next year is the tell Ralph.
                    SA played a tougher OOC schedule, but the ECAC has gotten better on the average. We may get 4 bids to the NCAA tourney this year.

I agree about next season, although the incoming class it looks at the moment is not as good as that coming in 2020..
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-10-2019, 12:33 PM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

SA was 21-41-12, DS is 16-52-7 according to my back-of-the-envelope stuff. A "better" record, maybe. But to me, there's not a whole lot of difference in those two records - a handful of wins, for sure, but I don't think anyone would argue SA came in and set the world on fire and DS has been a complete bust. SA also inherited a team with more wins in its previous two seasons than Smith (28-39-8 under Fridge's last two seasons); Smith took over a team that was a combined 26-43-8. Again, not a huge difference, but DS did inherit a weaker team, at least in terms of wins and losses. Winning percentage trends following two seasons are interesting between the two coaches. SA 1st season = .389, 2nd season = .342, difference of -.47. DS 1st season = .216, 2nd season = .319, difference of +.103. Sure we'd all like more wins, but after two seasons I'll take +.103 over -.47.

I agree attendance has become a major concern. Number of empty seats for big games was stunning. But if you want to put DS on the hot seat in 3rd year, let's remember SA was 10-27-2 (.282) in his 3rd season. It was his second-worst season, numbers-wise, in Troy. SA's losses increased each of his first three seasons...no improvement until his fourth season.

Comment

For the past several years (perhaps even for the past many years) we seem to keep repeating the same statements after the season ends abruptly and far too soon. The urgency for improvement has been there for some time. It has not happened. Personally, at my age, I feel we are running out of time and running out of chances to see RPI make it back back up into the national scene. I agree with those who have stated that next year may actually be the now or never moment. Just MHO but I have followed RPI hockey for 56 years and i believe that gives me a long enough perspective.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          ...Freakout vs. the old travel partners to the north....Hypothetically speaking, no source on this: Wouldn't be surprised if UVM ends up a home/home; probably an Atlantic team to round it out; maybe we give a return to the other old travel partners for the first time in 12 years.
                          Who are the old travel partners? You mention 2 different ones. Sorry I'm new here
                          Also is UVM entirely just speculation or just the home and home part?

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                            Who are the old travel partners? You mention 2 different ones. Sorry I'm new here
                            Also is UVM entirely just speculation or just the home and home part?
                            When HEA broke away from the ECAC for the 84-85 season, Vermont and Army were in the league instead of QU and Union. At that time we were travel partners with UVM, Harvard and DC, Brown and Yale, and PU and Army (who only played a half schedule, once against each team, for the first 2 years). SLU and Clarkson and Colgate and Cornell were as now.

edit: Army played 11 games, once against everyone, while everyone else played 21, so it wasn't exactly half.
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Re our recruits Neutral Zone ranks them in the middle third (37th). Granted that there are players who probably won't be coming this year who are included, but on the other hand, some who are probably coming are not included. Also there are similar errors for all teams. In comparison, this year's class is #32. It omits Gornall, and Leppanen wasn't rated.
                              I’ve said this in other threads, I’m a fan of NZ and use their website. But one thing from them I absolutely take with a grain of salt is their class rankings. For example, Savory probably brought last years class ranking down, but are we glad to have him? That’s an easy “Yes!”

We’ll have to see how many players come in, especially at forward. It’ll depend on how many early departures we see. We don’t have to replace a lot of offensive production through graduation, so if we can get some freshman to be point producers (hell, I’ll take a nice 15 point season), that should be an improvement to the team.

Comment

AD, Seth is not coming back. If you are a fan of RPI hockey, and I know that you are. Lets get behind the new coach and see if he can deliver what we are looking for.
                                If he can't, then we can complain about his successor.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X