Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Let's not forget that guys like Nate Leaman and Rand Pecknold played DIII hockey and Ron Fogarty at Princeton essentially shattered record books at DIII Adrian before being hired by P (.670 career)

Regardless of where a guy coaches or played or learned the game, it's the knowledge they have AND their ability to share It in a way that kids can absorb that matters-- just my two cents.
    Also Mike Addesa played for Holy Cross which was D-III at the time. He was primarily a football player.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 26 March 2019. There are 193 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Also Mike Addesa played for Holy Cross which was D-III at the time. He was primarily a football player.
        I don’t believe I’ve ever said this to Ralph before, but that is incorrect. Mike Addesa never played varsity hockey at Holy Cross. In fact, their first season was ‘66-‘67 and he graduated earlier that spring. Here’s a link to one of their old media guides and you can see that he is listed under coaches but is not on their all-time player roster.

https://goholycross.com/fls/33100/im...B_OEM_ID=33100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          I don’t believe I’ve ever said this to Ralph before, but that is incorrect. Mike Addesa never played varsity hockey at Holy Cross.
          Welcome to the club. Everyone else has found errors which I have made.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
            True, but we’ve won two national championships and both head coaches had no college or pro hockey playing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I realize the game has changed, but back in the 60's and 70's (you remember those days don't you), the coach at Ithaca High School, perennially one of the best high school hockey team's in the state, could not skate. Don't know if that means anything in the discussion, but I think you can "know" the game without ever playing it. It certainly helps a great deal,but if you know and understand the game and you are able to teach well, anything is possible.

Comment

Coaching comes down to two things. Knowledge, and communication.
              You can know a sport inside out, but if you can't pass that knowledge along to the team, then you are useless. And if you are great communicator but don't know what you are talking about, the same applies.
              Where the knowledge comes from really doesn't matter.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                Coaching comes down to two things. Knowledge, and communication.
                You can know a sport inside out, but if you can't pass that knowledge along to the team, then you are useless. And if you are great communicator but don't know what you are talking about, the same applies.
                Where the knowledge comes from really doesn't matter.
                One can say that about a teacher also.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  Let's not forget that guys like Nate Leaman and Rand Pecknold played DIII hockey and Ron Fogarty at Princeton essentially shattered record books at DIII Adrian before being hired by P (.670 career)

Regardless of where a guy coaches or played or learned the game, it's the knowledge they have AND their ability to share It in a way that kids can absorb that matters-- just my two cents.
                  Like any other profession, some can, and some can’t. In today’s game players at the D-I level can easily identify the pretenders. By the time players reach the University level they have experienced a multitude of coaching types including some that can, and some that can’t.

If people don’t think assistant coaches on any hockey team are critical to success, so be it…and don’t think for a second that McElroy isn’t watching what is going on carefully.

Comment

Ralph, feel free to move this post because it encompasses both RPI threads. With Jewell "apparently " gone, one would think Smith is going to have to stand pat with his current roster personnel. If he starts jettisoning players, any potential recruits who are teetering on staying or going may see that as a definite sign of instability with the program. Like turk said these schools are constantly in the players ear. The gentleman's agreement went out the window years ago, hence one dagger that cost Enrico his job at Miami. It will be an interesting summer for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                      I doubt any of our seniors get signed. None of them are good enough to play professionally except for maybe Chase Perry since he was a draft pick. However, I would guess he's not getting signed as I think he would've signed by now if the Red Wings were offering him.

Perry had double hip surgery so he won't even begin skating until some time in May. Wiffen is injured and the other 2 seniors are Graduate students and I'm sure there first thoughts are on graduating with their Masters degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                        Ralph, feel free to move this post because it encompasses both RPI threads. With Jewell "apparently " gone, one would think Smith is going to have to stand pat with his current roster personnel. If he starts jettisoning players, any potential recruits who are teetering on staying or going may see that as a definite sign of instability with the program. Like turk said these schools are constantly in the players ear. The gentleman's agreement went out the window years ago, hence one dagger that cost Enrico his job at Miami. It will be an interesting summer for sure.
                        That makes sense to me although I suspect that we may lose other recruits.

Certain things which have occurred recently on the recruit thread and making me seriously consider disappearing myself.

SA is history. Fontaine's leaving has nothing to do with him.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good news for once (at least in my opinion)

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thank god

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              That makes sense to me although I suspect that we may lose other recruits..,,.
                              I fear you may well be right RB ...I'm scratching my head as to how to put a positive spin on things at HFH.....Not having much luck.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Article which I can't read because I have read too may articles. I suspect that I could just delete the cookies.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X