Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vicious View Post
    The building felt old, cold, and empty much of the season. Install newer, more comfortable seating. All red seats (have never understood why half of HFH is blue!). Revive the Red Army and get students back in the building. Lack of student support is sad but understandable after a string of losing seasons. Offer better food options instead of the Sodexho fare. Sell craft beers. I know SAJ will never go for it, but I bet attendance would increase and it would take the sting out of losing.
    Just a guess. Maybe it’s blue because the AHL’s CD Islanders played there in the late 80’s and early 90’s and requested that some of the seating be blue? Could also explain why the blue seating has padding whereas the rest do not. Maybe they paid a certain amount to RPI to do this, and when they left to go to Syracuse to become the Crunch RPI never changed back?
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2019 Off-Season: Where Did Everyone Go?

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by vicious View Post
        .... Sell craft beers. I know SAJ will never go for it, but I bet attendance would increase and it would take the sting out of losing.
        I was told that league rules prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages at school facilities . I believe Clarkson is the only ECAC program that has it - sort of -and technically it's not in the arena. Cheel has the student union which adjoins the arena --but access and admission to the pub is separate to that of the rink.

Sodexo has the food vending contract for the entire campus - ANY changes or additions made would need to go through them contractually.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          I was told that league rules prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages at school facilities . I believe Clarkson is the only ECAC program that has it - sort of -and technically it's not in the arena. Cheel has the student union which adjoins the arena --but access and admission to the pub is separate to that of the rink.

Sodexo has the food vending contract for the entire campus - ANY changes or additions made would need to go through them contractually.
          Just curious. Is the B&J ice cream table under that contract?
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
            Just a guess. Maybe it’s blue because the AHL’s CD Islanders played there in the late 80’s and early 90’s and requested that some of the seating be blue? Could also explain why the blue seating has padding whereas the rest do not. Maybe they paid a certain amount to RPI to do this, and when they left to go to Syracuse to become the Crunch RPI never changed back?
            It was red and blue as far as I can remember, which is 78-79. Those padded seats went in around 83-84 maybe? Right behind our seats, which I never understood.
            Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
              I respectfully disagree with you. Pirri had more offensive skills that D'Amigo and was a much better skater. D'Amigo reaped the benefits of an excellent World Juniors and could never match or exceed that performance, which led to getting lost in the numbers game.

I appreciate the pushback My take was Pirri was a one-dimensional player, which he has parlayed quite well. D'Amigo also had a good year on the USNDTP, where a lot of his peers have gone on to decent careers. He wasn't ready for the next step.
              Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                I respectfully disagree with you. Pirri had more offensive skills that D'Amigo and was a much better skater. D'Amigo reaped the benefits of an excellent World Juniors and could never match or exceed that performance, which led to getting lost in the numbers game.
                You can’t be serious about Pirri being a better skater than Jerry. That’s laughable. JD’A was one of the better skaters to ever lace em up at RPI. Even today Pirri looks like he’s skating in mud & I like Brandon.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  My understanding is that any food vending goes thru the contract...i.e. they get their cut.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                    The building felt old, cold, and empty much of the season. Install newer, more comfortable seating. All red seats (have never understood why half of HFH is blue!). Revive the Red Army and get students back in the building. Lack of student support is sad but understandable after a string of losing seasons. Offer better food options instead of the Sodexho fare. Sell craft beers. I know SAJ will never go for it, but I bet attendance would increase and it would take the sting out of losing.
                    I can remember sitting for a final exam in the Field House in the '60's while they were painting the seating area a lovely uniform shade of battleship gray. The smell of the paint fumes was nauseating.

Painting all the chairs red might be a nice touch. If it happens, my request is that it be done some time other than during final exams.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      My understanding is that any food vending goes thru the contract...i.e. they get their cut.
                      If that is the case, B&J is considered a quality brand as opposed to the stuff sold at the counter. (And that is much better than what was sold at the Field House a couple of decades ago.)

Of course, we don't know which piece of food equipment will catch fire next year.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                        You can’t be serious about Pirri being a better skater than Jerry. That’s laughable. JD’A was one of the better skaters to ever lace em up at RPI. Even today Pirri looks like he’s skating in mud & I like Brandon.
                        But has J D'A ever mentioned you in a quote?
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                          I can remember sitting for a final exam in the Field House in the '60's while they were painting the seating area a lovely uniform shade of battleship gray. The smell of the paint fumes was nauseating.

Painting all the chairs red might be a nice touch. If it happens, my request is that it be done some time other than during final exams.
                          That was also the color I recall, and it was there for quite a long time. I don't think that I ever had the pleasure of taking an exam at the Field House.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            That was also the color I recall, and it was there for quite a long time. I don't think that I ever had the pleasure of taking an exam at the Field House.
                            The seating area on the far end of HFH (near the zamboni and old stage area) are still battleship gray and have no chairs. They only open up that area when there is a large crowd, which used to be Freakout and occasionally CCT and Cornell. But I haven’t seen the curtains pulled back for the last couple of years.
                            I’ve been a season ticket holder since 73-74 and Sections 7 and 9 on the one end and 14 and 16 on the other end have always been blue. But they could definitely use a fresh coat of paint. Red would be preferred!
                            As far as those padded seats in Section 7 [and I think Section 9, not sure about the student side) goes, I think they tried to do some VIP seating for the Islanders and maybe RPI. There are also some red plastic seats over on the student side down low behind the bench area.

Comment

• There ia a B&J's in the student union so I presume any contractual issues have been worked out
                              Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Or is the B&J ice cream contract under the table?

Comment

Working...
                                X