Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Yes.

Well, sure there is; your opinion.

I assume you meant to say there is no method that exists to objectively rate or measure quality of music. There actually are zillions of them -- the whole history of aesthetics -- and some of them are fascinating. I'm reading Adorno's Aesthetics right now and in paraphrase (because it takes him a while to say things; I know the feeling) he posits an objection to Hegel's theory by saying something like "beauty is what makes you aware of the gap in your empirical knowledge." Start with Schopenhauer's famous first sentence, "the World is my idea," meaning all I know of reality is the sense I make of what I sense. Adorno is basically saying, no, that's wrong. Sometimes we get a glimmer of "the world behind the world," what our rationality does not capture and what is not expressible through it, but which nonetheless exists and somehow reaches us. He talks about the mood of an evening, or the gasping can't-quite-express-it of a shadow or a sunset. I love this definition but to call it objective is highly suspect. Does the Polynesian or the Aborigine have the same lump in his throat from looking at a sunset or does he thinks, "oh, sh-t, better get under cover before the storm"?

But like sexual ideals, it does slide over time. If my sexual ideal today was the same as when I was 16 I would be at worst in jail and at best severely unsatisfied with my current living arrangements. Likewise with music. I was locked in on punk and blues at 16, but I didn't "get" opera until my twenties or rap until my forties. Your world opens up and swallows you down, it's the only way I can describe it. But it is intensely personal and subjective.

The 70s had great music in rock, proto-punk, punk itself, and soul. Let's just count the popular bands that were good from the Ranker list: Zep, Pink Floyd, the Stones, Sabbath, CSNY, the Allmans, AC/DC, Santana, Bob Marley, Genesis before Gabriel left, Marvin Gaye, the Police, Steely Dan, Neil Young, Yes, The Clash, Rush, Prince, early Springsteen, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello before he cheated on his wife (the first one), Lou Godd-mn Reed, Iggy and the Stooges, PFunk, Patti Smith, Stranglers, The D-mned, Television, Buzzcocks, and they didn't even get to the Ramones, X Ray Spex, James Brown, the Gang of Four, Ray Charles, Adverts, Schooly D, DKs, Aretha, Wire, Al Green, Richard Hell, Sugarhill Gang, the Germs, Curtis Mayfield, Bowie, Black Flag, Kool and the Gang, Kraftwerk, Alice Cooper, or the Holy Trinity of Rap (DJ Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa), or the one ring to rule them all, Zappa.

The 80s had great music in rock, post-punk and hip hop. Again, just the popular ones: Prince, Eurythmics, Van Halen, the Cure, Depeche Mode, the Cars, Metallica before they sucked, Joy Division/New Order, the Smiths, B-52s, Pretenders, Cheap Trick (fight me!), Earth Wind & Fire, Elvis Costello before he cheated on his wife (the second one), Devo, Pixies, PFurs, OMD, Public Enemy, Sonic Youth, Ultravox, Femmes, Joe Jackson, the Tubes, Eric B & Rakim, and they didn't even get to NWA, Thomas Dolby, Suicidal Tendencies, Circle Jerks, Siouxie, Minor Threat, Big Daddy Kane, Dead Milkmen, the Fall, Slick Rick, Ian Dury, Heavy D, Replacements, Descendents, Nick Cave, Mission of Burma, Too Short, MDC, Magazine, Naughty by Nature, the Jam, EPMD, the Specials, Geto Boys, Minutemen, X, or NOFX.

Never mistake the music on the radio or the charts or in Rolling Stone or even NME or Pitchfork with the music that matters. Moby Dick was a commercial failure. Every age produces incredible and unique music. Right this second there's some garage band in South Dakota or Kazakhstan creating the only music from the 2020's that will be remembered in 50 years.
    Glad to have read that post.

Comment

Yes.

Well, sure there is; your opinion.

I assume you meant to say there is no method that exists to objectively rate or measure quality of music. There actually are zillions of them -- the whole history of aesthetics -- and some of them are fascinating. I'm reading Adorno's Aesthetics right now and in paraphrase (because it takes him a while to say things; I know the feeling) he posits an objection to Hegel's theory by saying something like "beauty is what makes you aware of the gap in your empirical knowledge." Start with Schopenhauer's famous first sentence, "the World is my idea," meaning all I know of reality is the sense I make of what I sense. Adorno is basically saying, no, that's wrong. Sometimes we get a glimmer of "the world behind the world," what our rationality does not capture and what is not expressible through it, but which nonetheless exists and somehow reaches us. He talks about the mood of an evening, or the gasping can't-quite-express-it of a shadow or a sunset. I love this definition but to call it objective is highly suspect. Does the Polynesian or the Aborigine have the same lump in his throat from looking at a sunset or does he thinks, "oh, sh-t, better get under cover before the storm"?

But like sexual ideals, it does slide over time. If my sexual ideal today was the same as when I was 16 I would be at worst in jail and at best severely unsatisfied with my current living arrangements. Likewise with music. I was locked in on punk and blues at 16, but I didn't "get" opera until my twenties or rap until my forties. Your world opens up and swallows you down, it's the only way I can describe it. But it is intensely personal and subjective.

The 70s had great music in rock, proto-punk, punk itself, and soul. Let's just count the popular bands that were good from the Ranker list: Zep, Pink Floyd, the Stones, Sabbath, CSNY, the Allmans, AC/DC, Santana, Bob Marley, Genesis before Gabriel left, Marvin Gaye, the Police, Steely Dan, Neil Young, Yes, The Clash, Rush, Prince, early Springsteen, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello before he cheated on his wife (the first one), Lou Godd-mn Reed, Iggy and the Stooges, PFunk, Patti Smith, Stranglers, The D-mned, Television, Buzzcocks, and they didn't even get to the Ramones, X Ray Spex, James Brown, the Gang of Four, Ray Charles, Adverts, Schooly D, DKs, Aretha, Wire, Al Green, Richard Hell, Sugarhill Gang, the Germs, Curtis Mayfield, Bowie, Black Flag, Kool and the Gang, Kraftwerk, Alice Cooper, or the Holy Trinity of Rap (DJ Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa), or the one ring to rule them all, Zappa.

The 80s had great music in rock, post-punk and hip hop. Again, just the popular ones: Prince, Eurythmics, Van Halen, the Cure, Depeche Mode, the Cars, Metallica before they sucked, Joy Division/New Order, the Smiths, B-52s, Pretenders, Cheap Trick (fight me!), Earth Wind & Fire, Elvis Costello before he cheated on his wife (the second one), Devo, Pixies, PFurs, OMD, Public Enemy, Sonic Youth, Ultravox, Femmes, Joe Jackson, the Tubes, Eric B & Rakim, and they didn't even get to NWA, Thomas Dolby, Suicidal Tendencies, Circle Jerks, Siouxie, Minor Threat, Big Daddy Kane, Dead Milkmen, the Fall, Slick Rick, Ian Dury, Heavy D, Replacements, Descendents, Nick Cave, Mission of Burma, Too Short, MDC, Magazine, Naughty by Nature, the Jam, EPMD, the Specials, Geto Boys, Minutemen, X, or NOFX.

Never mistake the music on the radio or the charts or in Rolling Stone or even NME or Pitchfork with the music that matters. Moby Dick was a commercial failure. Every age produces incredible and unique music. Right this second there's some garage band in South Dakota or Kazakhstan creating the only music from the 2020's that will be remembered in 50 years.
      Several points, on phone, so **** formatting a kickass reply like yours

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Purely objective means I can measure something with a sensor and compare it. And it all boils down to the universal 1> 0.

Fair enough on the slide. I agree. I didn’t mean it was cemented to the floor.

I know bands like zeppelin did works in the 70s, but I still consider them a quintessential 60s band. Ditto on Floyd and Moody Blues and The stones. Stones could probably have a really difficult argument to counter that they weren’t 70s too, but I personally still group them in the 60s.

Prince, fine. Good example but I didn’t get a real appreciation until about the time he died. You can reference the last RS500 post I made to see how I feel about some of the other bands of the era. But still meaningless until I get another 100 albums or so.

That’s all I have for now on the phone.

The caveat I have to repeat is that I’m learning good late 70s early 80s music by forcing myself through them. Not because I heard them growing up. Like all things taste, everything is acquired.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Radiohead is brilliant. Radiohead is not a rock band.
        And our views of that band are the basis of "what is good music" discussion. It widely varies.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          Glad to have read that post.
          except of course for Kepler's complete lack of regard for the beatles
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            The Jam would be a 70's band. They were done by 1982.
            I did not know this! As you say, way ahead of their time.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              except of course for Kepler's complete lack of regard for the beatles
              Careful!!

Comment

... Mission of Burma... .
                Great post overall, liked this one in particular (as a fan of Mass Ave/Boston music in late '70's early 80's). Throwing Muses would make my list (yes, I know, Rhode Island).
                Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                  Throwing Muses
                  I had not heard of them. They sound good (and Kristin Hersh is cute as a button).
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

(as a fan of Mass Ave/Boston music in late '70's early 80's)
                    I envy you the Rat.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Great post overall, liked this one in particular (as a fan of Mass Ave/Boston music in late '70's early 80's). Throwing Muses would make my list (yes, I know, Rhode Island).
                      Their Live In Providence album is a favorite!

Comment

Rocky Johnson, Canadian professional wrestler and Dwayne Johnson's father, 75.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Christopher Tolkien, son of J.R.R.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Terry Jones.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              Terry Jones.
                              Cornell University

Comment

That does make me very sad. "Wafer thin."

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X