Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dead Thread 2019-???: Yep, They're Still Dead.

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    They, and The Decemberists.
    But the Decembrists gave us a great bit 12 years ago: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/right...itics_n_102868

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I like The Decemberists' music. The Mariner's Revenge Song is brilliant. I am certain I would loathe them individually.

That mincing, practiced, Brooklyn hipsterism is awful and I want those bands to spend fifteen minutes in a locked room with Black Flag. Or five minutes with DMX.

Or 5 seconds with GG Allin.
      Last edited by Kepler; 01-13-2020, 12:13 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

All the rest of those bands working that same sort of genre, The Avett Brothers, Mumford and Sons, The Head and The Heart, Of Monsters and Men, The Lumineers, Beirut, The National, etc., just blow. Call me when your balls drop, you puzzies.
        Lol wow. 🙄
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Can't remember the exact context, but one of the DJ's at the late lamented WFNX was doing some sort of hype thing for their best songs of the year, and mentioned Vampire Weekend in comparison to The Clash somehow. I emailed her and said, "Look, I know you have to hype the crap out of the drivel that your programmers tell you to play, but I know that you don't believe that chit". She pretty much said "yeah".
          That's what happens when you read a genre mag or listen to the radio. Anything which gets mediated, particularly by the "hip" media, becomes a grotesque parody.

Because here's the thing: Vampire Weekend is actually good. The Strokes are actually good. They aren't great because almost nothing is great. This isn't Harvard. 10 As to every A+. 10 Bs to every A, 10 Cs to every B. B is good.

The Clash is A+. Which means they stand on the pinnacle of a pile thousands thick of bands that got airplay and music mag coverage. There's a dozen As out there right now, someplace, that I've never heard. There may even be an A+ (but there's only a few a decade so... there also may not be).

There must be a shoegaze A. There must be several lofi A's. I haven't heard them but I have heard some Bs, and that passes the time if you're in the right space (I like what Slap and Rube said about "mood bands" -- that captures it perfectly). Not everything has to be brilliant.
          Last edited by Kepler; 01-13-2020, 03:14 PM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Lol wow. 🙄
            You seriously like those bands?

My local station, an AAA format so its about the only halfway tolerable thing on the dial, plays a ton of each of those bands. I can listen to it, but do any of them inspire me to go out and buy, or, download as the kids do these days, any of their music?

Not a chance in hell.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

De gustibus non est disputandum.

When I say "they suck" I am taking it for granted that everybody hears me say "I do not like them." "They objectively suck" would be a meaningless statement. There is no objective standard in aesthetics that I would be comfortable upholding, and there is no need for one.

When I say "there's a band out there that's an A which I have not heard" I am saying "there's a band out there that I would really like which I have not heard."
              Cornell University

Comment

You seriously like those bands?

My local station, an AAA format so its about the only halfway tolerable thing on the dial, plays a ton of each of those bands. I can listen to it, but do any of them inspire me to go out and buy, or, download as the kids do these days, any of their music?

Not a chance in hell.
                Monsters and Men I like. Mumford I like.

The national isn't terrible.

Lumineers I tolerate, in doses. I used to like them ten years ago. Now I probably cycle to see if anything else is better. I suppose I’ve thought of them as a CTRL+A, CTRL+V band over the last few years. So fair point there.

Haven’t heard of any other others except for Beirut, and I can’t recall a song of theirs off the top of my head.

Honestly though, I’m not looking to music for a deeper meaning to life on an average day. Sometimes, sure. But that’s a pretty exhausting sphere to live in 24/7.

Edit: keep in mind, you and I have very different likes when it comes to music. We’ve talked about this before when I actually had time to go through the RS500 list. (I need to get back to that.)

I still firmly believe that all music is 100% subjective. There is no method that exists to subjectively rate or measure quality of music. Kind of like Kepler’s idea that your sexual ideal is basically locked in at 16 in one of those threads, your ideas of music are fairly locked in around the same age. 16-25. I can’t stand 80s music and think the vast majority is just a vapid mess. Even the “good” stuff as explained by people who are of that era. I also listened to a lot of rock bands from the 60s thanks to my dad. So I have a deep appreciation of that era as well. But 70s and 80s are a complete void so it’s pretty hard to appreciate much from those eras.
                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-13-2020, 04:55 PM.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  When I say "they suck" I am taking it for granted that everybody hears me say "I do not like them."
                  maybe try saying the second thing instead of the first, if that's what you actually mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    De gustibus non est disputandum.

When I say "they suck" I am taking it for granted that everybody hears me say "I do not like them." "They objectively suck" would be a meaningless statement. There is no objective standard in aesthetics that I would be comfortable upholding, and there is no need for one.

When I say "there's a band out there that's an A which I have not heard" I am saying "there's a band out there that I would really like which I have not heard."
                    Excellent point and I think we all take that for granted.

I love saying “Journey objectively sucks” to my friend who LOVES Journey. I think they objectively suck but that’s, like, my opinion man.
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      maybe try saying the second thing instead of the first, if that's what you actually mean.
                      God no. What would be the fun in that?
                      Cornell University

Comment

Tolerate is apt.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I still firmly believe that all music is 100% subjective.
                          Yes.

There is no method that exists to subjectively rate or measure quality of music.
                          Well, sure there is; your opinion.

I assume you meant to say there is no method that exists to objectively rate or measure quality of music. There actually are zillions of them -- the whole history of aesthetics -- and some of them are fascinating. I'm reading Adorno's Aesthetics right now and in paraphrase (because it takes him a while to say things; I know the feeling) he posits an objection to Hegel's theory by saying something like "beauty is what makes you aware of the gap in your empirical knowledge." Start with Schopenhauer's famous first sentence, "the World is my idea," meaning all I know of reality is the sense I make of what I sense. Adorno is basically saying, no, that's wrong. Sometimes we get a glimmer of "the world behind the world," what our rationality does not capture and what is not expressible through it, but which nonetheless exists and somehow reaches us. He talks about the mood of an evening, or the gasping can't-quite-express-it of a shadow or a sunset. I love this definition but to call it objective is highly suspect. Does the Polynesian or the Aborigine have the same lump in his throat from looking at a sunset or does he thinks, "oh, sh-t, better get under cover before the storm"?

Kind of like Kepler’s idea that your sexual ideal is basically locked in at 16 in one of those threads, your ideas of music are fairly locked in around the same age. 16-25.
                          But like sexual ideals, it does slide over time. If my sexual ideal today was the same as when I was 16 I would be at worst in jail and at best severely unsatisfied with my current living arrangements. Likewise with music. I was locked in on punk and blues at 16, but I didn't "get" opera until my twenties or rap until my forties. Your world opens up and swallows you down, it's the only way I can describe it. But it is intensely personal and subjective.

I can’t stand 80s music and think the vast majority is just a vapid mess. Even the “good” stuff as explained by people who are of that era. I also listened to a lot of rock bands from the 60s thanks to my dad. So I have a deep appreciation of that era as well. But 70s and 80s are a complete void so it’s pretty hard to appreciate much from those eras.
                          The 70s had great music in rock, proto-punk, punk itself, and soul. Let's just count the popular bands that were good from the Ranker list: Zep, Pink Floyd, the Stones, Sabbath, CSNY, the Allmans, AC/DC, Santana, Bob Marley, Genesis before Gabriel left, Marvin Gaye, the Police, Steely Dan, Neil Young, Yes, The Clash, Rush, Prince, early Springsteen, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello before he cheated on his wife (the first one), Lou Godd-mn Reed, Iggy and the Stooges, PFunk, Patti Smith, Stranglers, The D-mned, Television, Buzzcocks, and they didn't even get to the Ramones, X Ray Spex, James Brown, the Gang of Four, Ray Charles, Adverts, Schooly D, DKs, Aretha, Wire, Al Green, Richard Hell, Sugarhill Gang, the Germs, Curtis Mayfield, Bowie, Black Flag, Kool and the Gang, Kraftwerk, Alice Cooper, or the Holy Trinity of Rap (DJ Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa), or the one ring to rule them all, Zappa.

The 80s had great music in rock, post-punk and hip hop. Again, just the popular ones: Prince, Eurythmics, Van Halen, the Cure, Depeche Mode, the Cars, Metallica before they sucked, Joy Division/New Order, the Smiths, B-52s, Pretenders, Cheap Trick (fight me!), Earth Wind & Fire, Elvis Costello before he cheated on his wife (the second one), Devo, Pixies, PFurs, OMD, Public Enemy, Sonic Youth, Ultravox, Femmes, Joe Jackson, the Tubes, Eric B & Rakim, and they didn't even get to NWA, Thomas Dolby, Suicidal Tendencies, Circle Jerks, Siouxie, Minor Threat, Big Daddy Kane, Dead Milkmen, the Fall, Slick Rick, Ian Dury, Heavy D, Replacements, Descendents, Nick Cave, Mission of Burma, Too Short, MDC, Magazine, Naughty by Nature, the Jam, EPMD, the Specials, Geto Boys, Minutemen, X, or NOFX.

Never mistake the music on the radio or the charts or in Rolling Stone or even NME or Pitchfork with the music that matters. Moby Dick was a commercial failure. Every age produces incredible and unique music. Right this second there's some garage band in South Dakota or Kazakhstan creating the only music from the 2020's that will be remembered in 50 years.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 01-13-2020, 06:09 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think Radiohead sucks balls, but apparently they are one of the better rock bands in history.

I've also had people ask me if I was serious when I said I totally dig Billie Eilish's music, or if I was being sarcastic (her music is awesome FTR).

It's all a matter of personal preference, just like any other style of media (TV, movies, books, whatever). There is quality, there are guilty pleasures, etc. *shrug* So be it.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think Radiohead sucks balls, but apparently they are one of the better rock bands in history.
                              Radiohead is brilliant. Radiohead is not a rock band.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The Jam would be a 70's band. They were done by 1982.

Sure don't sound like a 70's band though.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X