This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

A LOT of crime is because the criminal hates some difference between him/her and the victim. Hell's Angels hate the Mongols, Bloods hate Crips, one race hates another, one religion hates another, whatever. It's all hate to begin with. That's my whole point.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's a terrible and irrelevant point.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        A LOT of crime is because the criminal hates some difference between him/her and the victim. Hell's Angels hate the Mongols, Bloods hate Crips, one race hates another, one religion hates another, whatever. It's all hate to begin with. That's my whole point.
        Your point is fine as far as it goes but it doesn't mean much if anything when evaluating the purpose of "hate crimes." Stop getting hung up on the word "hate." Think of it in terms of terrorism.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          People are routinely treated differently by the law without issue; why should special laws apply if one is treated differently because of the color of her skin?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpEUum49Hfs

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newswars/

NewsWars is a news and opinion website by Infowars publisher and far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, where he claims to be bringing “truth back to the media.” He’s infamously made false claims concerning the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, and federal investigators said he inspired a gunman to open fire inside a Washington, D.C., pizzeria last year by touting unfounded allegations on his shows and websites about its supposed ties to former Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and human trafficking.

In review, the website is laid out to look similar to the New York Times, which both Alex Jones and Donald Trump claim is a fake news source. All news articles are curated from other sources including Jones’ own Infowars. Some common sources used are Russian propaganda news site RT, Alt-right Breitbart and other conspiracy websites such as Zero Hedge. The reason why this site is not placed in our Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category is due to having more political news than conspiracy information. Though there is plenty of conspiracy as Jones shares numerous stories from Infowars and provides a link to listen to his radio show live on the website. This website is also different in that the majority of news is real. The reason for the Questionable classification is that all stories favor the right, indicating extreme bias, there are unproven conspiracies published and Jones’ longtime reputation as a purveyor of fake news stories.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

NewsWars? Really? You'd think he'd at least try to hide the fact that it's the same bullsh*t.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Your point is fine as far as it goes but it doesn't mean much if anything when evaluating the purpose of "hate crimes." Stop getting hung up on the word "hate." Think of it in terms of terrorism.
                    He's just regurgitating what he heard in that south park episode where Cartman commits a hate crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

They didn't mean to offend anyone though...

I can't imagine being able to foresee people being offended by saying "Hello Monkey" to a guy in a black mask. Seems completely innocent to me.
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

11 year old girl raped, Argentinian gov refused to allow abortion, had to have a c section.
                        Mike Pence is taking notes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ed-give-birth/

Comment

Quick refresher... how do you use the three seashells? https://www.infowars.com/now-they-wa...he-bitter-end/

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Hate crime legislation presupposes if you target a victim because of their race, religion or sexual orientation (among others?) it massively increases your potential victim pool and suggests you're likely to act upon that hate again. Random crimes often do not. Someone acting criminally based upon this kind of hate is a bigger potential threat to society than someone randomly getting in a bar room brawl.
                            I'll have to see a link supporting this premise. This doesn't make sense to me.

Hate crime legislation is primarily passed for the purpose of society sending a message that committing an act that is already a criminal act under our laws, but committing it against someone specifically because of their race or religion, etc..., is especially horrific and should be particularly singled out as heinous under our laws. It certainly isn't passed because of any sort of "increase" in the potential victim pool. To the contrary these laws by their very definition take an existing criminal law and limit its application to offenses against a subset of our society. Anyone can be an assault victim. Only a limited few can be a victim of assault based upon race.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              IOnly a limited few can be a victim of assault based upon race.
                              Incorrect.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Incorrect.
                                How so? It's true that a member of every race is potentially the victim of a hate crime based upon race. However, I'm not sure that practically speaking you can demonstrate a hate crime committed against a person of the same race as the actor. So, as a caucasian I theoretically could commit a hate crime based upon race against a person of every race except for a caucasian, thus limiting the grouping.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X