This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Lori Loughlin now in Netflix: Fuller House Arrest.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

"Amateurs" - Big time D1 FBS and basketball coaches

Imagine how mad these schools are. $25 million in bribes to let some rich kid in and they didn't get a new dorm or athletic complex out of it.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        No kidding

I’d like to see the median. Because it’s a hell of a lot cheaper to get a tutor.
        Can’t polish a turd....
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

My, what a lawful government we have here today.

ICE supervisors sometimes skip required review of detention warrants, emails show

(CNN)Brent Oxley, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement deportation officer in Little Rock, Arkansas, was happy in his work, which he says "gave me the feeling that I was helping protect my country." A big part of his job: Look through rosters from local jails for people who might be deportable, ask for them to be held for ICE to pick up, then go get them.

But last May, ICE fired Oxley, for a variety of charges that included forging his supervisor's signature on arrest warrants for undocumented immigrants. Federal immigration law requires each warrant to be signed by an authorized supervisor. By signing them himself, an ICE administrator wrote to Oxley, he had exposed ICE to the possibility of "numerous unlawful detention lawsuits" over illegal arrests, had they not reissued the warrants.

Oxley challenged his termination, convinced he had not been alone in skipping the warrant-review process, which could be inconvenient when supervisors weren't in the office and the 48-hour time limit to release people was nearing its end. And he turned up evidence he was right...

Unlike Oxley, who outright forged his supervisor's signature, the other officers generally signed for their supervisors after getting their permission via text or phone. But in such cases -- or when officers were given blank, pre-signed warrants -- it's unclear how closely or even whether a supervisor would have reviewed an individual case.

Legally, the signature on a warrant attests that an authorized supervisor reviewed it and determined that there was probable cause to believe the person named was deportable. The Immigration and Naturalization Act doesn't offer the option of letting unauthorized officers sign for supervisors.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            After the Grand Boob is pulled from the Oval in handcuffs we're going to need to have a complete program of DeNazification in this country, starting with law enforcement.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Do you really not understand that the rich and famous and politically powerful have been using those advantages to advance the education opportunities for their children forever...
              I understand it just fine thanks for asking. The point is I don't think anyone needed you to clarify something so effing obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I understand it just fine thanks for asking. The point is I don't think anyone needed you to clarify something so effing obvious.
                Probably could have said that in your initial response, instead of writing something that made it obvious to everyone else here that you didn't understand what I typed.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Good thing two celebrities were caught up in Operation Varsity Blues. Would have been boring if it had just been CEOs and their trophy spouses.

My question would be what happened to the kid once accepted on a football/crew/volleyball etc scholarship. If I get a football scholarship to USC they're kinda going to expect me to show up to practice and play on Saturdays. Or do they just Photoshop a picture of the kid in a uniform on the sidelines?

Considering this fraud did involve athletic personnel and scholarship money do you suppose the NCAA will get involved, or just keep looking the other way while large institutions commit violations?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Good thing two celebrities were caught up in Operation Varsity Blues. Would have been boring if it had just been CEOs and their trophy spouses.

My question would be what happened to the kid once accepted on a football/crew/volleyball etc scholarship. If I get a football scholarship to USC they're kinda going to expect me to show up to practice and play on Saturdays. Or do they just Photoshop a picture of the kid in a uniform on the sidelines?

Considering this fraud did involve athletic personnel and scholarship money do you suppose the NCAA will get involved, or just keep looking the other way while large institutions commit violations?
                    Doesn't need to involve a scholarship at all. If the family could afford a six or seven digit bribe, the scholarship doesn't really matter. They were just trying to gain admission, not financial aid, and these kinds of "athletes" are the best possible kind of recruit -- a recruit who was good enough to make the team but could afford to pay their own way.

Comment

I wonder if this will cause anyone to revisit the question of why an athlete can be admitted to a university when their grades / scores are not good enough to get them in as a regular student. Why isn't that a violation of the "cannot receive anything a normal student would not" NC$$ rule?

I realize why the waiver exists (many star athletes are too stupid to get into college on the merits, and star athletes generate $$$ for everybody). I just don't know how it has survived without any apparent scrutiny all these years. We just take it for granted that if you are a star athlete you can substitute your athletic cred for academic cred in the admissions process.

Why?
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                        Doesn't need to involve a scholarship at all. If the family could afford a six or seven digit bribe, the scholarship doesn't really matter. They were just trying to gain admission, not financial aid, and these kinds of "athletes" are the best possible kind of recruit -- a recruit who was good enough to make the team but could afford to pay their own way.
                        It sure involved coaches who broke the law. Does the NCAA still care about "Institutional Control" or is that only a matter for the Cleveland States of the world?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I wonder if this will cause anyone to revisit the question of why an athlete can be admitted to a university when their grades / scores are not good enough to get them in as a regular student. Why isn't that a violation of the "cannot receive anything a normal student would not" NC$$ rule?

I realize why the waiver exists (many star athletes are too stupid to get into college on the merits, and star athletes generate $$$ for everybody). I just don't know how it has survived without any apparent scrutiny all these years. We just take it for granted that if you are a star athlete you can substitute your athletic cred for academic cred in the admissions process.

Why?
                        $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

It's OK, Netanyahu says the European far-right are his allies.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              It's OK, Netanyahu says the European far-right are his allies.
                              They going to prison with him?

And a racist Europe is good for warmongers like him...
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X