X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm going to assume you aren't intentionally being mentally and morally opaque and give you a straight answer.

The persecuted have always needed to rally around solidarity. That is a basic human need.

I really thought you were being an intentional d-ck when you posted things like this or that you were a moron, but given your persistence and your stressing that we need to respect one another I am now genuinely convinced that you don't know that your posts are coming of as mean spirited. But I'm giving you some friendly advice, sincerely: they are. You are coming off as borderline troll. As the kind of libertarian who says "the contract between an employer and an employee is perfectly balanced since either is free to terminate it." It comes off as being sheltered and presumptuous.

How do I know this? Because if I had been on the internet 30 years ago that would be exactly how I would have sounded. I was firmly convinced then that because bigotry drove so many problems the most fair solution would be to be completely blind to difference and never acknowledge any characteristic which was incidental to value.

But the problem with this is that's the equivalent of saying the race is fair now because we've taken your chains off but I still start 50 yards ahead of you. Systemic/legal barriers are the chains, and we have taken many of them off (although not all -- witness the legal persecution of gays in the red states) in the last 100 years. But the head start is the social barriers and those still exist. Whites still bias against POC. Men (and a lot of women!) still bias against women. Straights still bias against non-straights. And don't get me started on Christians.

So the people on the pointy end of these distinctions do need to join together and celebrate who they are. And they need to do it in public to claim their rights in public space and not just huddled in the dark. Have you ever been to a gay march or a women's march? The feeling during them isn't triumph, it's relief. You can see these people go through their lives poised to absorb the next slight (or assault) and for one f-cking day at least they can relax and be themselves without any fear.

Think of how you feel when after a day of work you come home and are safe and secure. POC and women and gays are never 100% secure. As a fellow white straight male I ask you: can you conceive of how hard it must be to live like that? You and I will never, never, never know how tired, how weary that must make a human being.

So, please, understand that a pride parade isn't something contrary to your desire for a blind society. It's essential to it because it is evening the playing field. There are no brown-eyed people's pride marches because they aren't necessary. The fact that there are gay and black and women's pride parade should tell us they are necessary, and why a straight or white or men's pride parade is something very different, mocking, nasty, and even threatening.

It's all about respect and these people still don't get it too often. You and I will never worry about that. And you know how much that stings because you have complained that you are being ignored or put down because you're a straight, white, male. OK... now imagine that amplified by a trillion, every day, and with a history of being written into the very law! And that it's not just you but your loved ones!

That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

To all the gay, POC, and women posters here: I am very sorry if this comes across as me straight white male 'splaining or being White Savior. I am just trying to give my view because I have been Fishman '81 and know that it is possible to say the things he is saying and not be a jerk. He's simply ignorant of what he has not seen and felt, and I have had that very thing common with him so I feel might reach him.

Dude: you're not a d-ck but you're acting like one. Please take the stuff above to heart. It was my journey and maybe it will help you on yours. Go to these marches and be with these people and you'll understand. The love you experience being with people who have been hurt and disrespected, but who are still open and kind, will make you feel great, even if you're a cynical, arrogant old fool like me.
    This, Fishy, this. As a trans woman, I've tried explaining all the ways Republicans want me dead (either literally or figuratively), and it's gone right over your head. You also said trans people don't deserve bathroom rights because cis men might abuse the privilege. You want me dead too.

Seriously, in 26 states, including Michigan, I can be fired for being trans, and I am **** lucky that my current employer has gender identity written in their non-discrimination policy. If I'm arrested, they'll put me in with the men, which will open me to sexual assault and near death. If I become homeless, this administration says shelters don't have to take me in. I better hope my current medical team stays as warm and affirming as they are, because if they decide religious liberty is more important than my care, I could die. When I die, I better hope my family puts the right name and gender in the paper, because some of my trans siblings haven't been so lucky. Transgender people are 4x as likely to commit suicide as everyone else. I could go on, but you're basically plugging your ears right now going "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      Woodbury is next to GD Oakdale. It has a lot of middle and high income earners, good schools, not a terrible place
      Woodbury has its shady parts, too. I came across a few when house hunting last week. It was shocking, really, given what I thought I knew about that city.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Woodbury has its shady parts, too. I came across a few when house hunting last week. It was shocking, really, given what I thought I knew about that city.
        Of course it does but it’s not as bad as maplewood, Oakdale, no St. Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Now I wonder if you know what a Shooting Star Press is?
          I do now.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            Pretty much. DX would know more, since he actually lives in goddam Oakdale.
            The Urban Dictionary definition of GD Oakdale (#3 on the list) is pretty funny.

#6 (OK) is good, too.

Generally speaking, towns named "Oakdale" apparently have some issues.

BTW I can vouch for the L.I. one (#5, #7) that it is dead on.
            Last edited by Kepler; 08-12-2019, 09:06 AM.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Of course it does but it’s not as bad as maplewood, Oakdale, no St. Paul.
              And I've also only realized how shockingly close to St. Paul Woodbury actually is. There's only about a single mile separating the two cities down around the Pigs Eye region of the Mississippi - the distance between McKnight Rd and Century Ave.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                And I've also only realized how shockingly close to St. Paul Woodbury actually is. There's only about a single mile separating the two cities down around the Pigs Eye region of the Mississippi - the distance between McKnight Rd and Century Ave.
                The east side of the cities is so ****ed up in terms of city and county divisions. Especially Maplewood. What a stupid ****ing city shape.
                https://www.mncompass.org/profiles/c...3468958&zoom=9
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I do now.
                  Now I just feel like naming out wrestling finishers...

Go To Sleep
                  Vertebreaker
                  One Winged Angel
                  Meltzer Driver
                  And my personal favorite The Unprettier.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Now I just feel like naming out wrestling finishers...

Go To Sleep
                    Vertebreaker
                    One Winged Angel
                    Meltzer Driver
                    And my personal favorite The Unprettier.
                    These are getting really complicated and require really tight coordination with the other wrestler. I'm not sure who's working harder on some of them. I have no idea how they don't f-ck up and actually hurt each other.

I've always wondered how they rehearse.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      The east side of the cities is so ****ed up in terms of city and county divisions. Especially Maplewood. What a stupid ****ing city shape.
                      https://www.mncompass.org/profiles/c...3468958&zoom=9
                      It looks vaguely like a Tetris piece where a couple areas decided to say, "F--- it, we're leaving this mess."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        These are getting really complicated and require really lose coordination with the other wrestler. I'm not actually sure who's working harder on some of them.
                        I have no idea how they don't f-ck up and actually hurt each other.
                        Sometimes they do, that’s the problem. Triple H famously paralysed a jobber because he thought Trips was doing a different move and got dropped on his head. Certain moves are legit banned by some promotions, like the Vertebreaker and the Piledriver by WWE.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Sometimes they do, that’s the problem. Triple H famously paralysed a jobber because he thought Trips was doing a different move and got dropped on his head. Certain moves are legit banned by some promotions, like the Vertebreaker and the Piledriver by WWE.
                          Yep. Even back in the day, some wrestlers had moves that were banned in their contracts (Stone Cold Steve Austin/piledriver) because of previous injuries. The Power Bomb is another notorious one for possible injury. That one could legit break your neck also.

As for cities, Crystal MN is also messed up. There's an area that is completely enveloped by another city (New Hope):
                          https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cr...!4d-93.3602286
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            As for cities, Crystal MN is also messed up. There's an area that is completely enveloped by another city (New Hope):
                            https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cr...!4d-93.3602286
                            At least you guys in the West kinda planned your cities. I mean I see identifiable geometric shapes on your maps. You wanna see a mess come to the eastern seaboard sometime. They're all messed up but Boston is on an entirely different level.

The Mormons are the only ones who did it right. Simple grid with two wide diagonals running through the centerpoint (which is, granted, their funhouse magic underwear mosque). That actually makes sense.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 08-12-2019, 02:25 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Do they still make Pig's Eye beer? Be a shame if that p1sswater was no longer available whenever I get back.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Do they still make Pig's Eye beer? Be a shame if that p1sswater was no longer available whenever I get back.
                                Near as I can tell they went bankrupt, were seized, then 2 guys tried to revive them and they went bankrupt.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X