X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    I remember growing up the "Today" Show on NBC was a bastion of hard, informed news. Gumbel, Pauley and Brokaw would have experts and real journalists on to discuss the issues of the day.

My mom is watching now with the volume cranked to overcome the air conditioner and listening to the two hosts talk about this college scandal was painful. Misinformation, half-truths and glossing over the news with total nonchalance.
    Scams like this have been going on forever. I know a couple (now long since dead) who divorced 30 years ago after 40 years of marriage just so she could become eligible for public assistance due to a medical issue and he wouldn't lose his repair business.

There is a very simple rule. If you are handing out money based upon "need" you are going to get all sorts of people who will try to prove to you that they "need" it. Assume you're being scammed. Trust later.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Scams like this have been going on forever. I know a couple (now long since dead) who divorced 30 years ago after 40 years of marriage just so she could become eligible for public assistance due to a medical issue and he wouldn't lose his repair business.

There is a very simple rule. If you are handing out money based upon "need" you are going to get all sorts of people who will try to prove to you that they "need" it. Assume you're being scammed. Trust later.
      See I disagree. That is the BS Insurance companies sling to justify why many of them have the "deny first" policy. Smart businesses assume a certain level of theft and make a margin for it. They dont screw over the ones in need to prevent the (much lower level of) theft.

see also: All the money wasted/whining about preventing voter fraud these days by a certain political group.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        See I disagree. That is the BS Insurance companies sling to justify why many of them have the "deny first" policy. Smart businesses assume a certain level of theft and make a margin for it. They dont screw over the ones in need to prevent the (much lower level of) theft.

see also: All the money wasted/whining about preventing voter fraud these days by a certain political group.
        I think the issue with insurance companies is different, for example what we're seeing here in Minnesota with BCBS, which I assume you are referring to, at least in part.

The BCBS problem is an interesting one, but also very dangerous and maddening. I like the idea of someone at least asking questions about whether a diagnostic test or certain treatment is reasonable and necessary, because I do believe there is a tendency in some cases to over test or over treat. There is a financial benefit to it, plus I think doctors probably take a "better safe than sorry" approach so as to avoid getting sued.

On the other hand, letting someone in North Carolina sit and second guess what my doctor says is necessary, the person who has actually examined me and talked to me and has probably treated me for years, is very, very frightening.

But all of that is wrapped up in contract law and in the duty of a physician to treat you within an appropriate standard of care, and what happens when someone second guesses that opinion and bars the care.

What I'm talking about is simply handouts based upon need. I've served on foundation boards where we've been approached by groups claiming a need, only to have discovered that they're concealing the true financial status of their group. The same with school aid. I work with a guy who has lived with his girlfriend for five years. They want to get married. They intend to get married. But she makes $40,000/year and has two kids about to enter college, and he makes five times what she does, and getting married isn't exactly going to improve the ol' FAFSA form. Thus, they wait.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

While true, my point in this case was how this demonstrates the way news broadcasting has fallen in recent years. The vitriol at Faux "News" is bad but this is network TV news with a much higher audience and everyone watching now thinks they have a handle on what this scandal is about and in reality they have no clue. In the old days, there would have been a seven-minute interview between Bryant Gumbel and either a network or local journalist who would explain what happened. Then they would break for commercials and then there would be an 11-minute interview with Jane Pauley and an expert who would put this in context and explain why it's an important story. Now the hosts have a two minute conversation where they laugh and giggle, get facts completely wrong and give the story absolutely no context. Then it's on to some fashion or cooking or whatever segment. It's frustrating.

Comment

Switch to CBS. The new format isn’t as good as the previous but it’s still a more serious platform.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              While true, my point in this case was how this demonstrates the way news broadcasting has fallen in recent years. The vitriol at Faux "News" is bad but this is network TV news with a much higher audience and everyone watching now thinks they have a handle on what this scandal is about and in reality they have no clue. In the old days, there would have been a seven-minute interview between Bryant Gumbel and either a network or local journalist who would explain what happened. Then they would break for commercials and then there would be an 11-minute interview with Jane Pauley and an expert who would put this in context and explain why it's an important story. Now the hosts have a two minute conversation where they laugh and giggle, get facts completely wrong and give the story absolutely no context. Then it's on to some fashion or cooking or whatever segment. It's frustrating.
              You and Hovey are both right.

I've worked in healthcare for 30+ years, and at a high level. When my facility down-sized, I took-on coding too, as a streamlining measure, and still work as a clinician.

Yes, there's a lot of waste, and there's a lot of superfluous billing for BS testing. it makes me sick to play that game, but that BS $ is what keeps my hospital afloat, because so many people are under-insured, and there's no way to recoup that without working Medicare.

The individual-mandate was a great idea. Pay a little now, and reap the benefits later, when you wouldn't be able to do it otherwise.

It's pretty-much the same as mandatory car insurance, and the Republican AH's never make that comparison. I've paid 40K or so in car insurance in my life, yet have never filed a claim. It's not 'fair', exactly, but it's a reality.

JHC, we live in a "society" for a reason. ..Mutual benefits accrue to all, even if we never have to use them.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-01-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

German kindergartens say they’ll remove pork from menus. Right wingers threaten to bomb the buildings

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...cenewsfacebook

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  German kindergartens say they’ll remove pork from menus. Right wingers threaten to bomb the buildings

Seems like a reasonable reaction.

Comment

Both sides.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but whatever.

Can I ask, why should these schools have to do this? Is it wrong or impossible for them to offer another protein option that would also cover the Muslim kids? Or is the concern that doing so would alienate them from the non-Muslim kids?

I honestly can't think of another country in Europe with a bigger love affair with pork (maybe Austria or Poland). Eliminating it entirely from a public school because of one religious group seems like overkill.

That said, the AfD and the Neo-Nazis can go to hell for threatening violence over it.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Can I ask, why should these schools have to do this? Is it wrong or impossible for them to offer another protein option that would also cover the Muslim kids? Or is the concern that doing so would alienate them from the non-Muslim kids?

I honestly can't think of another country in Europe with a bigger love affair with pork (maybe Austria or Poland). Eliminating it entirely from a public school because of one religious group seems like overkill.

That said, the AfD and the Neo-Nazis can go to hell for threatening violence over it.
                        This.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

100% agree.

This seems like an unnecessary and silly move by the schools and an immeasurably poor response by the right wingers.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            100% agree.

This seems like an unnecessary and silly move by the schools and an immeasurably poor response by the right wingers.
                            ITs really dumb. I’ve lived in Germany and it makes no sense. Also nazis gonna nazi

Comment

I had similar thoughts. I guess the follow up question should be: how do these schools handle peanut allergies? Are peanuts not allowed already?
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                I had similar thoughts. I guess the follow up question should be: how do these schools handle peanut allergies? Are peanuts not allowed already?
                                Allergies are different though. A child could die just by breathing in the dust if they're sensitive enough. Muslim children are not going to die because the kid next to them is eating sausage.
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X