This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

No shock there. They'll get away with it. Banks in '08, pharma in '19.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Re: Nice Planet: Screw It, I'm Outta Here

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

From here on out, they can call him "The Trunchbull" behind his back.

Comment

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

In a way...she is right.

An assault is an assault. Doesn't matter the reason, it's an assault. Burn down a building? That is arson. Shouldn't matter the reason behind the crime, it's still arson. Where do you draw the line? People who hate cops who then assault a cop? People who burn down a Greek Orthodox church because they hate Greeks? People burn down a fashion designer's HQ because they hate skinny models (body shaming, in essence)?

Crimes are done because of some sort of hate within. To add to the sentence, if found guilty, because of some categorizing of said hate is quite silly to me.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Your opinion is different from the way that Her Heinous the Queen of Mean wanted people to react to her hot take.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Your opinion is different from the way that Her Heinous the Queen of Mean wanted people to react to her hot take.
              I don't doubt it. She...well...let's just say I wouldn't say hello to her in hell.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                In a way...she is right.

An assault is an assault. Doesn't matter the reason, it's an assault. Burn down a building? That is arson. Shouldn't matter the reason behind the crime, it's still arson. Where do you draw the line? People who hate cops who then assault a cop? People who burn down a Greek Orthodox church because they hate Greeks? People burn down a fashion designer's HQ because they hate skinny models (body shaming, in essence)?

Crimes are done because of some sort of hate within. To add to the sentence, if found guilty, because of some categorizing of said hate is quite silly to me.
                I get your point, rube, but the law of crimes does not really work that way, whether we're talking about hate crime laws or not. Unlawful killings are crimes, even without an intent to kill. In felony murder, a person may cause the death of another purely by accident during the commission of a felony, but that person will still by charged with a class of murder. First degree murder, otoh, carries a more severe sentence and requires "malice aforethought."

A statutory rape conviction my carry a very severe sentence, yet no intent to harm is required. They may be two people deeply in love, but the law is there to protect minors and punish according to age, not wrongful intent (though that may be present and add to the list of chargeable offenses).

There are different classifications of theft in many jurisdictions which depend on whether the victim is a member of a vulnerable class, such as the elderly, and the perp is someone in a position to take advantage.

One interesting thing about hate crimes is that they have caused disagreements and division within groups. Many liberals are torn between the desire to protect historically vulnerable groups on one hand and the need to protect free speech on the other, so they do not all agree on the value of hate crime laws. It can drive some very thoughtful discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  No shock there. They'll get away with it. Banks in '08, pharma in '19.
                  Defeatism is part of the problem. I know it's your style, but please reconsider it. You are helping them when you throw up your hands and say we can't fight them.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Defeatism is part of the problem. I know it's your style, but please reconsider it. You are helping them when you throw up your hands and say we can't fight them.
                    I live in a cesspool of a country. No denying that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      In a way...she is right.

No. A hate crime recognizes that certain actions target more than the immediate victim. I'm gonna take a wild as-s guess here and assume you are white. If I hang you from a tree I'm hanging you. If I hang a black man from a tree I am hanging all black people, because of the history of lynchings.

Hate crimes are terrorism. A murder is not in itself a terrorist act, but a murder done in the style of and with the cognizance of a history of terrorism is terrorism.

I really can't make it any simpler than that.

If I had written the law I would not have called it a "hate crime." I would have called it domestic terrorism.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I live in a cesspool of a country. No denying that.
                        Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

-- Max Ehrmann
                        Last edited by Kepler; 02-22-2019, 08:32 AM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

So, you're telling me God wants the ticks and cockroaches to win?

Climate Change Enters Its Blood-Sucking Phase

As winters grow warmer in North America, thirsty ticks are on the move.
                          https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-moose/583189/

Sure, makes sense.

Comment

So, you're telling me God wants the ticks and cockroaches to win?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-moose/583189/

Sure, makes sense.
                            Ghost moose. Nat Geo had a vid on this almost 11 years ago. Can imagine it's only gotten worse for those poor animals.
                            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              No. A hate crime recognizes that certain actions target more than the immediate victim. I'm gonna take a wild as-s guess here and assume you are white. If I hang you from a tree I'm hanging you. If I hang a black man from a tree I am hanging all black people, because of the history of lynchings.

Hate crimes are terrorism. A murder is not in itself a terrorist act, but a murder done in the style of and with the cognizance of a history of terrorism is terrorism.

I really can't make it any simpler than that.

If I had written the law I would not have called it a "hate crime." I would have called it domestic terrorism.
                              That’s really well put. Without hate crimes we can’t have people charged with terrorism. We only have murder or attempted murder. I used to think like Brent on this topic (and I’ll be honest, I still go back and forth on it sometimes) but someone on here convinced me otherwise. We punish motive all the time. We add aggravating criteria based on age for all sorts of crimes: sexual assault, fraud, etc. We add aggravating criteria for things like assaulting a cop or federal official.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

What if a minority assaults me because I am white and that person hates white people (whites have given a lot of reasons over the years, no denying that)? Or go back to my Greek Orthodox Church arson question and insert any race/ethnicity/etc?

For me, it's just...I dunno...too murky of where the line should be drawn.

Comment

Working...
                                X