Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Other than Howroute’s tweet I haven’t seen any media reports saying the person was a white supremacist. The stories I read said it was just some guy actually manufacturing guns in his home.
    People are weird.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      People are weird.
      People are weird. That's what I was thinking when I first heard the story. Some guy, living in one of the toniest neighborhoods in the country is literally manufacturing guns in his basement? W T F?

But the tweet posted by Handy is a precise example of what I was talking about when I said in another thread the we live in an age of hysteria. Rather than just tweet, "ATF raiding home in expensive California neighborhood where guy is manufacturing guns in basement" it has to be tweeted "ATF raiding home of white supremacist with hundreds of guns."

It's inaccurate and is simply meant to inflame a certain segment of society.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

People are weird. That's what I was thinking when I first heard the story. Some guy, living in one of the toniest neighborhoods in the country is literally manufacturing guns in his basement? W T F?
        It's like when William Holden gets invited upstairs in Sunset Boulevard she's got guns instead of a dead monkey.

dx: I know you hate old movies but you have to watch that. You have to.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Looking at a photo of one of the two CO high school shooters, and the kid has his hair done up like Two Face from the Batman comics.

I'm waiting for the, "We didn't see this coming from him!" line in 3, 2, 1.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I think the ABC national news anchor, or the reporter on the story, just reported the exact same statement.
            I know what you are talking about. The outlet originally misidentified him as a girl which is why they mentioned he is transitioning. They didn't do what the cited article did which was to get the conservadopes in a lather by throwing it in gratuitously.

Please don't defend these f-cks. They are bigots writing for bigots. They have that right and we have the right to call them on their hateful stupidity.
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-09-2019, 01:11 PM.
            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Looking at a photo of one of the two CO high school shooters, and the kid has his hair done up like Two Face from the Batman comics.
              Is that the one with the purple? I actually think the purple is kind of cute hair. "Portrait of a Young Robert Smith As An Attempted Mass Murderer."

Now feed him to the hounds.
              Cornell University

Comment

I know what you are talking about. The outlet originally misidentified him as a girl which is why they mentioned he is transitioning. They didn't do what the cited article did which was to get the conservadopes in a lather by throwing it in gratuitously.

Please don't defend these f-cks. They are bigots writing for bigots. They have that right and we have the right to call them on their hateful stupidity.
                I didn't read the article that had been linked to, just looked at the offending headline that upset you. I just thought it necessary to point out that the whole issue of the gender of one of the shooters had been reported by mainstream news outlets as well, simply for the pronoun issue, and not just whatever rag Flaggy chose to link to that day.

Obviously the person's gender, and any transition they may be undergoing, is irrelevant.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I didn't read the article that had been linked to, just looked at the offending headline that upset you. I just thought it necessary to point out that the whole issue of the gender of one of the shooters had been reported by mainstream news outlets as well, simply for the pronoun issue, and not just whatever rag Flaggy chose to link to that day.

Obviously the person's gender, and any transition they may be undergoing, is irrelevant.
                  I can't make it any clearer than I already have: you are comparing a case where the outlet is trying to clear up an ambiguity with one where the outlet is stoking hate and fear from their moron audience.

I don't seem to be very good at communicating simple and clear differences these days.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I can't make it any clearer than I already have: you are comparing a case where the outlet is trying to clear up an ambiguity with one where the outlet is stoking hate and fear from their moron audience.

I don't seem to be very good at communicating simple and clear differences these days.
                    I'm not comparing anything. My initial post was not intended as a defense of anyone or any article that purported to make an issue out of the shooter's gender, even though it appears that's how some of you took it.

You cited the headline which said something like "one shooter is transitioning from female to male" and objected to Flaggy continuously linking to rags that try to inflame people. I only wanted to point out that other news outlets, considered more "mainstream" were also reporting on that topic. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

You cited the headline which said something like "one shooter is transitioning from female to male" and objected to Flaggy continuously linking to rags that try to inflame people. I only wanted to point out that other news outlets, considered more "mainstream" were also reporting on that topic. Nothing more, nothing less.
                      My whole point here is you are saying "x is like y" and I am saying "x is not like y."

Like I said, I can't seem to be able to get across even this fundamentally simple concept. I understand what you are saying. I am saying that in saying this you are missing the essential point -- that what you take to be the same action (mentioning his gender) is not the same action (in one case it's informational in the other case it's done to whip up an emotional effect). You are equating non-equivalents.

Now, you may disagree with me. But I can't seem to state clearly what I am even pointing out, and this isn't the first time I've been incapable of being understood. I think I'm losing it...

Is anybody else getting this? I'm starting worry, here.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 05-09-2019, 01:49 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

My whole point here is you are saying "x is like y" and I am saying "x is not like y."

Like I said, I can't seem to be able to get across even this fundamentally simple concept. I understand what you are saying. I am saying that in saying this you are missing the essential point -- that what you take to be the same action (mentioning his gender) is not the same action (in one case it's informational in the other case it's done to whip up an emotional effect). You are equating non-equivalents.

Now, you may disagree with me. But I can't seem to state clearly what I am even pointing out, and this isn't the first time I've been incapable of being understood. I think I'm losing it...

Is anybody else getting this? I'm starting worry, here.
                        Yeah, I get it. But what I'm saying is I wasn't trying to equate non-equivalents. All I saw was the headline you cited. I didn't read the story. I had no idea whether it was trying to inflame people or not. I simply read the very generic headline that supposedly offended you. I didn't interpret your objection to the headline as a statement that you had read the article and found it inflammatory.

Edit: The headline, as you cited it, read "Second suspect transitioning from female to male."

That is just a statement of fact, the same statement many other news outlets made. That's all I was saying.
                        Last edited by SJHovey; 05-09-2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Other than Howroute’s tweet I haven’t seen any media reports saying the person was a white supremacist. The stories I read said it was just some guy actually manufacturing guns in his home.
                          Well if he wasnt a Nazi I will mea culpa on that fact. The number of weapons is actually what scared me most.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Well if he wasnt a Nazi I will mea culpa on that fact. The number of weapons is actually what scared me most.
                            Hard to shoot more than two guns at a time.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I didn't think it was anything you did, other that posting the guy's tweet. I just thought the guy's tweet was a classic example of what goes on in social media today where everyone becomes a "terrorist" or whatever.

Comment

Kep, Hovey...

As the board's one known transgender person, let me just say it's really frustrating having to justify my existence on a daily basis. Throwing in that one of the shooters is trans does not make it any easier.

Then again, if Republicans are scared of me, then I'm doing something right.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X