Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

It was erasers back in my day.

@TheOnion: NRA Calls For Teachers To Keep Loaded Gun Pointed At Class For Entire School Day https://trib.al/eY8QTRC https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/...620421/photo/1
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

No Liberty Meadows today. Khan the cow is front and center today. But, Tara Ross over on FB posts daily history stories. Monday is Medal of Honor Monday, Friday is usually an on this date.

Presented for your enjoyment:

On this day in 1775, Patrick Henry faces off against Virginia’s Royal Governor. The Gunpowder Incident was afoot! Naturally, the conflict was created by guns, ammunition . . . and a British attempt to confiscate them.

How unsurprising that our ancestors wrote the 2nd Amendment, with incidents such as these inspiring them.

King George III had been limiting the inflow of guns and ammunition into the American colonies for months. His Governors were to “take the most Effectual Measures for Arresting, detaining and securing any Gunpowder or any sort of Arms or Ammunition,” unless a royal license could be produced.

It was basically an 18th-century version of gun control, wasn’t it? The American colonists were furious!

You already know that the shots at Lexington and Concord were sparked by British General Thomas Gage’s attempt to seize ammunition stores. But you may not know what was happening in Williamsburg that same week. Colonists there were patrolling their own town. They’d heard a rumor that the Royal Governor, Lord Dunmore, was preparing to seize their gunpowder.

The rumor was true! Patrick Henry had just delivered his “Liberty or Death” speech, and Dunmore was worried. “[T]heir having come to a resolution,” he would write, “of raising a body of armed men . . . made me think it prudent to remove some gunpowder which was in a magazine . . . .”

Dunmore secretly brought in 20 marines and sailors under the command of Lt. Henry Collins. When the citizens of Williamsburg began to relax their patrols, Collins would take advantage of the opportunity.

He didn’t have to wait long. On the night of April 20-21, the guards who were watching the magazine left early. At about 3 a.m., Collins and his men quietly seized about 15 half-barrels of gunpowder, while Williamsburg was fast asleep. An alarm was raised, but it was too late.

The colonists were livid! The magazine had been “erected at the public expence . . . for the protection and security of the country . . . in cases of invasions and insurrections.” Lord Dunmore had no right to seize the public’s gunpowder.

Indeed, a mob might have assaulted Dunmore but for the intervention of Peyton Randolph, the speaker of the Virginia House of Burgesses. Randolph convinced the townspeople to seek a peaceful resolution.

Dunmore was wily, though. He tried to use the people’s fears against them, making the (untruthful) argument that he’d seized the ammunition because he was worried about a slave uprising! He argued the gunpowder was more “secure” with him, but he promised to return it, if needed.

Randolph was inclined to believe this falsehood. Patrick Henry was not.

By May 3, Henry was outside Williamsburg and in command of a detachment of men from his home county of Hanover. He demanded the stolen gunpowder—or restitution for it.

In the meantime, Williamsburg had finally learned of the “shot heard ‘round the world” at Lexington Green. Perhaps some people were getting worried?

The next day, the colony’s receiver general gave Henry 330 pounds. Henry called off his men, but he was only temporarily appeased. He would soon leave to attend the Second Continental Congress.

Dunmore hated being outdone by Henry. On May 6, he issued a proclamation denouncing “a certain Patrick Henry” and his “deluded Followers,” for unlawfully taking up arms and exciting rebellion.

Don’t you bet they wore that proclamation like a badge of pride?

P.S. The painting is of Lord Dunmore escaping to HMS Fowey. He was forced to flee Virginia after these events.

---------------------------
      If you are enjoying the daily dose of history, please don’t miss the note in the comment string, below.

Gentle reminder: History posts are copyright © 2013-2019 by Tara Ross. More on that below, too.

#TDIH #OTD #AmericanHistory #USHistory #liberty #freedom #ShareTheHistory
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

It was basically an 18th-century version of gun control, wasn’t it?
        This is so dumb.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          No Liberty Meadows today. Khan the cow is front and center today. But, Tara Ross over on FB posts daily history stories. Monday is Medal of Honor Monday, Friday is usually an on this date.

Presented for your enjoyment:
          That certainly justifies our country allowing people to have guns that are capable of murdering over 50 people in just a few min, or murder a class of kids, or break into a place of worship and murder people trying to do their First Amendment rights.

Thank goodness for people like you who remind us that all of that is well justified.

Comment

Attempted Workplace Shooting Stopped by Aurora PD.
            MAN THREATENS CO-WORKER, ARRESTED WITH WEAPON

(AURORA, IL) May 1, 2019: A Dolton man was arrested Thursday after threatening to pull a handgun on a co-worker. A loaded weapon and extra magazines were discovered in his work locker.

On May 1, 2019, at around noon, Aurora Police Officers responded to Glanbia Performance Nutrition, 600 Commerce Av, to investigate a report of an employee with a weapon who had threatened another worker. Upon arrival, police met with plant managers who explained that earlier in the week, Cox told a co-worker that he was going to "Pull a [pistol] on you." Later in the day, another employee reportedly observed Cox wearing a fanny pack which he believed contained a weapon. The employees eventually notified management, who immediately called police.

A search of Cox’s work locker revealed this described fanny pack, which contained a 9mm Smith & Wesson handgun loaded with 14 rounds, and two additional loaded magazines with 27 additional rounds. Cox does not have a valid FOID card.
            *Edit*
            Dolton, IL is located two and a half miles from the Indiana border and most likely where the handgun and ammunition were purchased. Dolton is located 63 miles from Aurora, IL.
            Last edited by aparch; 05-03-2019, 02:05 PM.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The bullet didn't hit anything vital

@Well_Regulated_: A member of our well regulated militia walks down the street with a loaded gun in his pocket. He drops the gun on the ground, firing it, and shoots himself in the genitals. https://journalstar.com/news/local/c...248775836.html
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

@Well_Regulated_: A member of our well regulated militia walks down the street with a loaded gun in his pocket. He drops the gun on the ground, firing it, and shoots himself in the genitals. https://journalstar.com/news/local/c...248775836.html
                His cock was weaponed.

Comment

Might give a whole new meaning to the term "pea-shooter".

Comment

This one did.

Oh 2A, what would we do without you?
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Attempted Workplace Shooting Stopped by Aurora PD.

*Edit*
                      Dolton, IL is located two and a half miles from the Indiana border and most likely where the handgun and ammunition were purchased. Dolton is located 63 miles from Aurora, IL.
                      Not if he's an Illinois resident, it wasn't. At least not legally.
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Time to ban knives! https://dcdirtylaundry.com/you-didnt...rent-involved/

Comment

Relevant:
                          Originally posted by Chris Rock, Tamborine Special
                          And somebody will come on TV. You know, and they’ll just talk like… “Hey, you know, guns don’t kill people. People kill people. As a matter of fact, if the gunman would’ve had a knife… he could’ve stabbed 100 people to death. Could’ve stabbed 100 people? Yo, check this out. Check this out. If 100 people ever got stabbed, at the same time, in the same place by the same person, you know what that would mean? Ninety-seven people deserved to die. What? You just watching this ****? “Oh ****, somebody got stabbed. Oh, they stabbed somebody else. Oh, he stabbed somebody else. Oh, he getting closer. Oh, he stabbed me. I didn’t see that coming. Oh, he stabbed the lady behind me. He’s a stabbin’ fool. Guess that’s why they call him Stabby.”
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Mentioning the one knife-related mass murder for every hundred or so gun-related mass murders sure helps drive home the point that there isn't some gun-specific about gun-related mass murders. Well done.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              If that means we can ban guns thereby saving countless lives...then its worth the cost.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

7 injured at a school shooting in Denver suburb. 2 in custody.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1557268432482
                                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X