Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Guns For Everyone!: Another Mass Shooting!

Mass stabbing in Canada

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...mass-1.4347482

Filmed it, too. Sick.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      My POV on guns is that most of them serve little or no purpose. I don't own one, and I never have. There are guns that can be used for legal recreation, and even some in self-defense of the home, from invaders, or the person with certain situations considered. All of these are on the stipulation that they're properly and carefully handled. After that, they're more a burden to life than anything.

However, there is a pervasive mentality throughout this nation that's most unlike what we see in the rest of the world. It's not something so easily handled or dismissed as saying only criminals have this mindset, rather otherwise law-abiding citizens might actually go down fighting because of (insert the varied factors here). We have ideas about why this is, but we have legal barriers to changing the laws. We built 20th century mentality on ideas of a lawless Old West, romanticized it, and now it pervades our culture.

We have to change society before we can turn the guns into scrap metal. If we don't, then there will be even more blood on our streets. There will be political fallout, and it would likely entrench the GOP in office for another generation or two. And it will be a party that changes little, so more Trumps and Pences running the nation.
      Thanks for that. So if I'm paraphrasing correctly, you're for seriously restricting guns with no hesitation except one big one - that it can't be safely executed on without massive fallout unless society is better prepared for it. And frankly, I understand it as its not for from my feelings about a government mandated program of forcing vaccinations on every man, woman, child without their approval. Personally, I do see the opportunity on vaccinations as not nearly as important as what I consider a currently raging guns crisis.

I would submit that a primary cause of the gun culture is driven by the perception that guns are a psychological crutch to all problems - and many people are fear based. This situation is predicated on conceal carry which creates the illusion that guns can fix your problems. Most other countries have conceal carry. This is a main reason that when gun restrictions are supported overseas, nobody in those countries really cares or even supports it. So I suggest we take one singular tough step and get rid of CC. Its only one specific dimension of gun ownership - you can still use guns to protect your home or use it for recreational use but you just can't threaten someone in a public space. To your point, this may have an initial backlash and could cause an immediate GOP gain...but as with Obamacare, soon society will support it and it will move back to 50/50 governance. As CC is the lynch pin to the fixation on guns, the move will focus guns just on its main uses of home security and recreation. From there, culture changes, people get a more level headed perspective on guns, and security and the Constitution can be balanced from a pragmatic point of view rather than an emotional one.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        A key point: New Zealand is an ISLAND. There is a natural added border that will help enforcement of bans/etc of guns.
        You know what the US also has on its three () coasts?

Water. Lots of it, in fact.

So, please keep bringing up this argument.

Comment

BRILLIANT! Absolutely BRILLIANT!! (sarcasm).

https://www.westernjournal.com/india...chers-injured/

Should have given them plastic guns to shoot back!!
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

A key point: New Zealand is an ISLAND. There is a natural added border that will help enforcement of bans/etc of guns.
            KEY POINT- most of the guns north America are made in the USA. Which means if they stopped making them, Mexico would not have access to automatic weapons. You know, the ones criminal gangs get?

Having them locally made would help enforcement/bans etc of guns.

edit- the reporting has it that most of the guns in New Zealand are from the US, and the expansion of ownership has been largely driven by the US- the NRA. Which explains more that the NRA is more representing the gun industry over the owners.
            Last edited by alfablue; 03-22-2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              You know what the US also has on its three () coasts?

Water. Lots of it, in fact.

So, please keep bringing up this argument.
              Canada to the north, and Mexico in the south. Sure, the US could stop making guns, but what about all the existing guns in North America, Central America, and South America? They're still out there, and guess what? They'd end up back here. Illegally of course, but they'd still end up back here. NZ and Australia are different animals, as islands. That doesn't even begin to discuss the different societal attitudes associated with guns.

Think of the US as the Chicago of that giant land mass.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Canada to the north, and Mexico in the south. Sure, the US could stop making guns, but what about all the existing guns in North America, Central America, and South America? They're still out there, and guess what? They'd end up back here. Illegally of course, but they'd still end up back here. NZ and Australia are different animals, as islands. That doesn't even begin to discuss the different societal attitudes associated with guns.

Think of the US as the Chicago of that giant land mass.
                So since the United States gun manufacturing has likely illegally armed most of North and Central America, we should do nothing? Yea, that's logical.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  They'd end up back here. Illegally of course, but they'd still end up back here.
                  No point trying then. Can't make a law because people might break it.

Also, boats don't exist, everyone.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    So since the United States gun manufacturing has likely illegally armed most of North and Central America, we should do nothing? Yea, that's logical.
                    Who said do nothing? I am saying it'll be tougher to enforce whatever laws are passed due to the nature of geography, compared to NZ/Australia. If the US were an island like NZ, it'd be a little easier to enforce the laws.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

To be clear, I'm not in favor of a total ban, because some firearms do serve recreational purposes (bolt and lever rifles, shotguns, revolvers). My immediate family owns all of those, though I don't think my dad has actually fired his .44 mag in many years.

But the semi-automatics are what is up for debate. We don't have any of those.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        To be clear, I'm not in favor of a total ban, because some firearms do serve recreational purposes (bolt and lever rifles, shotguns, revolvers). My immediate family owns all of those, though I don't think my dad has actually fired his .44 mag in many years.

But the semi-automatics are what is up for debate. We don't have any of those.
                        And many still don't fully understand what a semi-auto is, unfortunately. They see the look/style of the gun, and think "BAN IT!" A basic AR-15 is the same as a .45: one trigger pull, one bang. You show that to a few people some will be okay with the .45 and not the AR. And you are left with a WTeff look on your face.

Comment

And many still don't fully understand what a semi-auto is, unfortunately. They see the look/style of the gun, and think "BAN IT!" A basic AR-15 is the same as a .45: one trigger pull, one bang. You show that to a few people some will be okay with the .45 and not the AR. And you are left with a WTeff look on your face.
                          Umm...most modern .45s are semi-auto.

Comment

We don't have to ban guns if we ban the people with guns. Send them south (packing) to protect Mexicans from gun violence. No gun problem here, no gun violence there, and no need for a wall.

Comment

I know exactly what they are and ban them all. The people that want them are not responsible enough to own them. It's been proven over and over and over and over again.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Who said do nothing? I am saying it'll be tougher to enforce whatever laws are passed due to the nature of geography, compared to NZ/Australia. If the US were an island like NZ, it'd be a little easier to enforce the laws.
                                Why even point out that it would be "tougher" if it's not a doubt about if it can be done? Especially when the source of 90% of the gun problems in North America are due to the United States.

You blatantly said that even if there was a law, nothing would change, which is the current excuse that we don't make any new laws because we've passed the breaking point. Wake up to what you are posting.

Comment

Working...
                                X