Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bracketology 1.1 - before the conference tournaments. Don't be upset

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    I see you would leave the public schools in the dust, then? Plattsburgh just finished a round of faculty layoffs to try to alleviate a $1M+ budget deficit, and it is my understanding that there situation is typical of most SUNY campuses. What you propose is likely impossible for a school like Plattsburgh.
    i don't live in NYS any longer, what is going on with SUNY? I thought admissions were up.

Comment

In the quest for the lone MASCAC bid, Plymouth State is cruising in their semifinal, up 6-0 over Worcester St late in the 2nd. In the other semifinal, in the quest for win #602, Salem State and Westfield State are tied at zip after 1.

6-1 PSU FINAL
      5-2 SSU FINAL
      Last edited by joecct; 02-26-2019, 08:44 PM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        "Iron-clad" D-3 budget or not, it's hard to imagine that there's not enough in the NCAA coffers to finance an equitable arrangement for all the sports under that umbrella.
        3% of the NCAA budget is allocated to D3. But what percentage of revenue comes from D3? If you think it's even 3% you're nuts. The issue isn't that the NCAA doesn't have the money, it's that it's all earmarked for disbursement to D1 schools and revenue generating sports.
        #OneKnight

Comment

• Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
          3% of the NCAA budget is allocated to D3. But what percentage of revenue comes from D3? If you think it's even 3% you're nuts. The issue isn't that the NCAA doesn't have the money, it's that it's all earmarked for disbursement to D1 schools and revenue generating sports.
          Very few D1 sports make money either. Last I looked the only ones were basketball, hockey, baseball, wrestling, and lacrosse. The rest, and all the women's sports, were money losers. However the $$$ brought in by basketball are humongous and pretty much fund the rest of the association.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Take a look at the upper left of the d3 basketball bracket. Somebody is flying for round 3. Maybe the 500 mile rule is not as ironclad as it used to be?
            Whitman and Pomona Pitzer? I didn’t look at the whole bracket but I’m not sure there’s another tournament team within 500 Miles of either, is there?
            St. Norbert College Green Knights
            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            ---
            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
              i don't live in NYS any longer, what is going on with SUNY? I thought admissions were up.
              some SUNY schools are not meeting enrollment targets...empty dorms on a couple campuses. College age population in NYS is declining. Adjacent states offering in state tuition to out of state students. Running a college - public or private - is a tough business. Oz leadership saw this coming and took necessary steps several years ago and have avoided enrollment and budget problems so far.
              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Very few D1 sports make money either. Last I looked the only ones were basketball, hockey, baseball, wrestling, and lacrosse. The rest, and all the women's sports, were money losers. However the $$$ brought in by basketball are humongous and pretty much fund the rest of the association.
                D1 football sits on top of the revenue making machine, huge TV contracts, endorsements, etc. They all share a common problem however, shrinking attendance of the live stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                  some SUNY schools are not meeting enrollment targets...empty dorms on a couple campuses. College age population in NYS is declining. Adjacent states offering in state tuition to out of state students. Running a college - public or private - is a tough business. Oz leadership saw this coming and took necessary steps several years ago and have avoided enrollment and budget problems so far.
                  I guess that would coincide with the declining population shift in NY. Would love to know whats states are offering the in state tuition deal. We have the just opposite problem in FL, kids cant get into schools, very competitive down here.

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                    D1 football sits on top of the revenue making machine, huge TV contracts, endorsements, etc. They all share a common problem however, shrinking attendance of the live stuff.
                    Football is indeed a huge revenue generator, however, since the NCAA doesn't run the playoff tournaments/bowl games for football, most of that money goes to sponsors and the schools themselves. Most of the NCAA's revenue comes from television rights for the Men's Basketball tournament.
                    #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                      I guess that would coincide with the declining population shift in NY. Would love to know whats states are offering the in state tuition deal. We have the just opposite problem in FL, kids cant get into schools, very competitive down here.
                      My info may be dated, but the last meeting I was in where this came up, it was NJ and PA...with OH and VT moving in that direction...not sure about MA...I know its been discussed at the SUNY level to do same to remain competitive. I don't believe local campuses have the authority to offer that incentive on their own...but I could be wrong.
                      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                        I never said that D-3 sports generate a dime of revenue across the board. Of course they don't. But it would be interesting to learn what 3% of the total NCAA budget actually amounts to, and how it's allocated to the various D-3 sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                          Higher ed is a HUGE question mark right now. Especially for small, private schools in New England. Just off the top of my head all of these schools have closed or will be closing soon. Mount Ida, Newbury College, St. Joseph’s (VT) and Green Mountain college. I also saw the New Rochelle in NY will likely be closing.

Population decline amongst that age bracket, costs and questioning whether it’s worth going into 20K to 150K worth of debt to get a college education right now and just too many schools offering the same or similar product without differentiating themselves have caused a very nervous time for higher education.

Lyndon State and Johnson State in Vermont “combined” administrations into Northern vermont University yet operate separate athletic teams still. I think that’s only a temporary fix and in the next few years we’ll see them be one institution across the board.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Take a look at the upper left of the d3 basketball bracket. Somebody is flying for round 3. Maybe the 500 mile rule is not as ironclad as it used to be?
                            For crying out loud, in a 64-team tournament, you are going to have to fly someone somewhere relatively early.

In the football tournament, which has 32 teams, sometimes they are flying teams in the second round. And it's expensive flying a football team. And you talk about forced bracketing. There are two excellent teams in Texas that are forced to play each other in the first round nearly every year to avoid flying both of them in the first round. These teams are quite capable of making it to the quarterfinals had the brackets been set up properly. Instead, one gets knocked off immediately, and the other goes on to win the national championship (Mary Hardin-Baylor)

The key is flights are to be avoided when possible. Not avoided completely.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                              Football is indeed a huge revenue generator, however, since the NCAA doesn't run the playoff tournaments/bowl games for football, most of that money goes to sponsors and the schools themselves. Most of the NCAA's revenue comes from television rights for the Men's Basketball tournament.
                              This.

Football does not make the NCAA much money. Basically, all the NCAA gets out of D1 football is a "sanctioning" fee each bowl pays the NCAA for the right to operate a post season game.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                But it would be interesting to learn what 3% of the total NCAA budget actually amounts to,
                                $32.3 million in 2018.

Source: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/nca...lStatement.pdf

and how it's allocated to the various D-3 sports.
                                No idea. The financial statements don't break it out by sport, but it may be available somewhere else.
                                #OneKnight

Comment

Working...
                                X