Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Across the board, even people who absolutely hate the Gophers are stunned by that call. That's all I need to know.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      Across the board, even people who absolutely hate the Gophers are stunned by that call. That's all I need to know.
      So pretty much everyone.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Revealing interview with Coach Motzko for Gopher hockey fans who haven't already seen it. He's sure not as smooth and polished as his predecessor, but I get the distinct impression that his emotions are more heart felt, and intense.

https://kstp.com/sports/bob-motzko-s...284828/?cat=81
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

He’s a great coach and a very real person. Gophers will be dominating the Big 10 going forward. They still will probably struggle against the other Minnesota schools until he gets kids in that he wants (4 year kids) in addition to the top talent they normally get. Will take a few years and then I think it will be competitive vs anyone being dominant. Probably. 😁

Comment

I agree that Motzko's reaction was unprofessional. However, I think it was needed. If he doesn't raise a little hell he loses the players coming back next season, and hurts his standing with incoming recruits.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Its rare to see the Gophers thread on the second page in the third week of March...but such are things today. Pitlick, USHL record breaker, and Robson are gone. We really are starting over from scratch.

McManus will be the only returning player that is a top 10 scorer this year to be an upperclassman next year. I give it another year...and then we should be back.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

I hope Walker, Burke, and McLaughlin can avoid sophomore slumps, and a frosh or two can come in scoring like they did. I agree though, next year isn't the year the rebound is reflected in the standings.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  I hope Walker, Burke, and McLaughlin can avoid sophomore slumps, and a frosh or two can come in scoring like they did. I agree though, next year isn't the year the rebound is reflected in the standings.
                  Well it's the Big Ten so they could still be top 4 in the conference standings... But I wouldn't expect them to be a FF contender.

I wouldn't worry about a slump from Walker. World class speed doesn't go away over the summer. I wish other Gophers lately could skate 85% as well as he does.

Comment

I'm hoping next year he learns how to take better advantage of that speed and lights the lamp even more. He sure is fun to watch.

Comment

His Crosby style backhand goal this year was ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        His Crosby style backhand goal this year was ridiculous.
                        I remember questioning what I thought(?) I saw on that one.

Comment

Frustrating to see ND getting into the NCAA, when it could have been the Gophs. With loss of Robson and Pitlick 9on top of Seniors), I feel like it is likely it could be another two seasons (or maybe longer) until we see the Gophs in the NCAA. Obviously, there are teams every year that under-perform based on who is returning and others who do way better than expected based on some players exceeding expectations, so in no way am I predicting next year. But with no obvious big improvement on D, Goaltending in all likelihood will decline, and could even be a weakness and no guarantee that players will step up enough to fill in the loss of talent at forward, there appear to be a lot of things that need to happen for next year's team to improve over this year's team, especially compared to the team in the last month or so. A number of players showed good improvements through this season, so hopefully that continues along with some strong play by freshman. However, no matter how good the coach, how much a player improves is still somewhat of a crapshoot and depends a lot on the psyche of the player, so only time will tell. Just wish we didn't have to wait until October to start again. (And it doesn't look like the Wild will help kill time this Spring by making a run, or even making the playoffs.)

Comment

20-21 should be a playoff team.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                              20-21 should be a playoff team.
                              Sure hope so! If they're not you can bet that Gopher fans will become very restless, and you might see a similar, but serious, thread title that season.

Comment

When I say playoff I mean a contending team, too. Next year they could make the playoffs depending on goaltending and I really hope they do because missing four out of five and no wins in six seasons is awful. That's not on Bob, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X