Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-2019: Fire Motzko

It was about 300-200 in each of the sections. I’d put the crowd at about 800-1,000
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

(Sorry for the long post to come about my personal frustration with missing out on 99% of the emotion of watching your team come from behind in an important game, but I just have to do it for my own catharsis.)

So a friend wanted to fish yesterday on Superior, so I took the day off and set the DVR to record Greenway (nearby town we've adopted for the tourney) and Gopher game, figuring that I would likely be home to watch Gophers live and my family doesn't really watch hockey, so I would get home without a clue of results and be able to watch both games and experience the same emotions of watching live.

So first, we finally started seeing some fish about the time I thought we would leave, so stayed later than I expected. Then, about the time the Greenway game should be over, I see I got a call from a co-worker who really only watches hockey around state tourney time, and doesn't call me often. I'm already thinking Greenway winning a close one is most likely reason he would call (or a late loss on a bad call or something.) Next, my daughter texts to say her boyfriend is coming over to the house, so I respond that I want the big TV when I get home to watch hockey. She asks what games I am watching. I mention both Greenway and Gophers. She basically only watches games her high school plays in the state Tourney and I don't think her boyfriend is any better, so even her asking is a hint. She says she would like to watch the Greenway game. Well that cemented it. Obviously Greenway won an exciting game that everyone is talking about or she wouldn't say this, probably a late come-back. While watching Greenway lead 1-0 into the third, it was like I could predict what was going to happen before it did. Two quick goals by Mahtomedi mid-third, followed by a Greenway goal with less than 2 minutes left in the game, and then a game-winner early in OT by the same guy who tied it, with multiple near misses and great saves. I didn't know the score or for sure the outcome, but just knew the script of a game that everyone would be talking about once the game was 1-0 in the third. We've all experienced enough of them to know.

Well at least I had the Gopher game to watch and experience all the emotions of not knowing the outcome, and the chance to experience the excitement of watching your team win a close one that matters. Well, as I stopped the HS game recording, and went to start the Gophers, the Edina game was on live TV so I decide to watch just until the next commercial. I was away from the TV, grabbing beer or something, so away from the remote when the mentioned Malmquist being the brother of Dylan on ND, and that ND won (or was leading). As I dove for the remote to hit mute, they said 'and the Gophers won too".

So two teams playing important games come from behind and win in OT, and I miss out on 99% of the excitement. We all watch hours of less exciting games for the chance to see a game like this (just like taking multiple trips hours away to sit hours in a fish house, for the chance to tie into a big fish) and I missed out on two in one day. (Sure, maybe not quite as big of a miss as when my wife walked away from the Vikings, after I had told her the week before that when you stop watching games where your team is behind, you miss those rare comebacks that are the most-memorable moments for fans, only to miss the Minnesota Miracle play. But she is also a bandwagon Vikings fan, not a watch every game to the end every year, like me with the Gophers.)

So since this seems to happen so often when I record Gopher Games, I am thinking of starting a Go-Fund-Me page where diehard fans pay me to record a game and find out who won before watching, because they always seem to win those games in exciting fashion. Who's in?

(So I should have seen this coming. I had a sign. The fishing trip was the second driving to Superior to fish the day. First strip I was skunked and guy next to me caught 5. I just wanted to tie into a salmon or lake trout and experience the fun of fighting a fish on the end of my rod, pulling drag out and battling to land it. Not knowing if you will win until you get it on the ice. So after several hours yesterday, I finally got a hit in 140 feet, and as I set the hook, the rod broke just above the handle. I had to pull the fish in by hand. If you don't fish, landing a fish this way is much less exciting and fun than fighting it on a rod. It is fun, to catch a fish, but a lot of the excitement is gone, so is somewhat of a let-down. Exactly the same feeling as watching your team come from behind and win a game when you already know the outcome. That was the only fish I caught, so never got to fight one on the rod!)

Comment

(Short post

So what channel is the game on today? I don't see it on the channel guide, but thought I heard all games will be televised. Thanks.

Comment

Great story! I have but one question: Was your one fish a Koho?
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by koho View Post
            (short post

so what channel is the game on today? I don't see it on the channel guide, but thought i heard all games will be televised. Thanks.
            fsn+
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Great story! I have but one question: Was your one fish a Koho?
              Lake trout. I was hoping for a Coho salmon, as I've never caught one. Had a fish on that was about 40 feet down that may well have been one, but it got away! More disappointment. Got away without knowing what it was. But yes, the disappointing lake trout catch (win) was much less disappointing than the loss, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                (Sorry for the long post to come about my personal frustration with missing out on 99% of the emotion of watching your team come from behind in an important game, but I just have to do it for my own catharsis.)

So a friend wanted to fish yesterday on Superior, so I took the day off and set the DVR to record Greenway (nearby town we've adopted for the tourney) and Gopher game, figuring that I would likely be home to watch Gophers live and my family doesn't really watch hockey, so I would get home without a clue of results and be able to watch both games and experience the same emotions of watching live.

So first, we finally started seeing some fish about the time I thought we would leave, so stayed later than I expected. Then, about the time the Greenway game should be over, I see I got a call from a co-worker who really only watches hockey around state tourney time, and doesn't call me often. I'm already thinking Greenway winning a close one is most likely reason he would call (or a late loss on a bad call or something.) Next, my daughter texts to say her boyfriend is coming over to the house, so I respond that I want the big TV when I get home to watch hockey. She asks what games I am watching. I mention both Greenway and Gophers. She basically only watches games her high school plays in the state Tourney and I don't think her boyfriend is any better, so even her asking is a hint. She says she would like to watch the Greenway game. Well that cemented it. Obviously Greenway won an exciting game that everyone is talking about or she wouldn't say this, probably a late come-back. While watching Greenway lead 1-0 into the third, it was like I could predict what was going to happen before it did. Two quick goals by Mahtomedi mid-third, followed by a Greenway goal with less than 2 minutes left in the game, and then a game-winner early in OT by the same guy who tied it, with multiple near misses and great saves. I didn't know the score or for sure the outcome, but just knew the script of a game that everyone would be talking about once the game was 1-0 in the third. We've all experienced enough of them to know.

Well at least I had the Gopher game to watch and experience all the emotions of not knowing the outcome, and the chance to experience the excitement of watching your team win a close one that matters. Well, as I stopped the HS game recording, and went to start the Gophers, the Edina game was on live TV so I decide to watch just until the next commercial. I was away from the TV, grabbing beer or something, so away from the remote when the mentioned Malmquist being the brother of Dylan on ND, and that ND won (or was leading). As I dove for the remote to hit mute, they said 'and the Gophers won too".

So two teams playing important games come from behind and win in OT, and I miss out on 99% of the excitement. We all watch hours of less exciting games for the chance to see a game like this (just like taking multiple trips hours away to sit hours in a fish house, for the chance to tie into a big fish) and I missed out on two in one day. (Sure, maybe not quite as big of a miss as when my wife walked away from the Vikings, after I had told her the week before that when you stop watching games where your team is behind, you miss those rare comebacks that are the most-memorable moments for fans, only to miss the Minnesota Miracle play. But she is also a bandwagon Vikings fan, not a watch every game to the end every year, like me with the Gophers.)

So since this seems to happen so often when I record Gopher Games, I am thinking of starting a Go-Fund-Me page where diehard fans pay me to record a game and find out who won before watching, because they always seem to win those games in exciting fashion. Who's in?

(So I should have seen this coming. I had a sign. The fishing trip was the second driving to Superior to fish the day. First strip I was skunked and guy next to me caught 5. I just wanted to tie into a salmon or lake trout and experience the fun of fighting a fish on the end of my rod, pulling drag out and battling to land it. Not knowing if you will win until you get it on the ice. So after several hours yesterday, I finally got a hit in 140 feet, and as I set the hook, the rod broke just above the handle. I had to pull the fish in by hand. If you don't fish, landing a fish this way is much less exciting and fun than fighting it on a rod. It is fun, to catch a fish, but a lot of the excitement is gone, so is somewhat of a let-down. Exactly the same feeling as watching your team come from behind and win a game when you already know the outcome. That was the only fish I caught, so never got to fight one on the rod!)
                Did we learn something from this?
                You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Koho has an onion belt. Has to.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

3-0 Gophers end of 1. Gophers look very aggressive to the puck. Shots on goal: MN/14 - MICH/7 Pitlick hits the 20 goal milestone. Life is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                      3-0 Gophers end of 1. Gophers look very aggressive to the puck. Shots on goal: MN/14 - MICH/7 Pitlick hits the 20 goal milestone. Life is good.
                      Unless you’re trying to watch on Direct TV. It’s not being televised on FSN.

Comment

Glad to see it. Pour it on.

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                          Did we learn something from this?
                          I need to stop buying cheap fishing rods....

Comment

I honestly expected more push back from the Wolverines tonight, but Michigan came out flat and stayed that way for much of the game. As the Wolverines' season ticked down to the end, Pearson looked visibly stunned on the Michigan bench as the Gophers aggressively won puck battles, transitioned well and controlled play with crisp passing all game reminiscent of old-time Gopher hockey. In what may have been the final home game at Mariucci for 9 seniors (and maybe Pitlick), they were relentless and left it all on the ice tonight.

Rem Pitlick had another signature game with two goals (21). Pitlick now leads the B1G in PPG and G. Sheehy is tied with Hirose (MSU) for 1st in pts. Together the scoring tandem of Pitlick/Sheehy was red hot impressive and with other lines contributing like they have, there's a reason to believe. With their second sweep in a row on home ice, and 7-1 in their last 8, the Gophers are playing their best hockey of the season at the right time.

They're two more wins from entering the NCAA tournament. Can they pull it off? If favored ND wins over MSU, the Gophers are off to South Bend for a single elimination next week. The Gophers swept ND in South Bend earlier this season 5-1 and 2-1.

Comment

Holy cow what happened to all the fans at Mariucci? I turned it there at intermission of the Duluth-St Cloud game and it was literally 80% empty. I mean, I understand that their attendance has fallen in recent years but it was like virtually completely empty.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                                Holy cow what happened to all the fans at Mariucci? I turned it there at intermission of the Duluth-St Cloud game and it was literally 80% empty. I mean, I understand that their attendance has fallen in recent years but it was like virtually completely empty.
                                High School hockey tournament, other events on campus, weather, tickets not included in season tic pack, and no more sugar coated mini-donuts. The "faithful remnant" saw some impressive Gopher hockey though.

HIGHLIGHTS

Comment

Working...
                                X