Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

So I was super bored this morning and went back and looked at all the losses on the year:

Clarkson - tied 2-2 in 3rd, lost 2-4, 2/4 PK, shots 28-25 UW
    Michigan Tech - had 1-0 lead in 1st, lost 6-2, 3/8 PK, shots 34-27 MTU
    North Dakota - lost 0-5, 3/3 PK, shots 24-23 UW
    North Dakota - tied at the end of regulation, lost 3-2 in OT, 8/9 PK, shots 35-23 UND
    Minnesota - up 2-0, gave up 3 goals in 1 minute 14 seconds, lost 3-2, 2/3 PK, shots 32-27 UW
    Ohio State - lost 0-4, 3/5 PK, shots 32-27 UW
    Ohio State - lost 1-3, 5/7 PK, shots 38-28 OSU
    Denver - tied 2-2 in 3rd, lost 3-6, 3/4 PK, shots 33-28 Denver
    Denver - tied 3-3 end of regulation, lost 3-4 in OT, 4/4 PK, shots 40-16 Denver
    Notre Dame - tied 4-4 halfway through 3rd, lost 6-4, 0/2 PK, shots 37-24 UW
    Minnesota - lost 4-9, 1/4 PK, shots 46-28 UW
    Michigan State - lost 1-4, 3/4 PK, shots 32-28 MSU
    Ohio State - tied 1-1 end of regulation, lost 1-2 in OT, 4/5 PK, shots 26-21 OSU
    Ohio State - lost 1-4, 7/7 PK, shots 30-23 UW

Bolded are the winnable games and with a more experienced squad likely would result in a win. 3 of the 5 ties UW had a lead in the third period.

There's some optimism for the future.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
      So I was super bored this morning and went back and looked at all the losses on the year:

North Dakota - tied at the end of regulation, lost 3-2 in OT, 8/9 PK, shots 35-23 UND
      Minnesota - up 2-0, gave up 3 goals in 1 minute 14 seconds, lost 3-2, 2/3 PK, shots 32-27 UW
      Ohio State - tied 1-1 end of regulation, lost 1-2 in OT, 4/5 PK, shots 26-21 OSU

Bolded are the winnable games and with a more experienced squad likely would result in a win. 3 of the 5 ties UW had a lead in the third period.

If they instead win the 3 OT losses, (UND, DU, OSU ) which they were probably the more deserving team in all of them, plus win one more game, I believe they would be in the top 15 right now. There is not a lot of space at all separating teams 10-35 -- mostly a few plays and a little puck luck.

All three underdogs won in the B1G last night and it's now only 5 points from 2nd to 7th with the Badgers having games in hand on 3 of the five teams above them. String a couple wins and home ice is still a possibility.

I still feel this is a team on the brink of a lot of success in the future.

The Hammer was awesome and showed his quality and competitiveness last night. Really like the way he has played overall. Peltonen struggled, but I give him credit for battling and maintaining his poise, as at this point, he has probably less than an hour more D-1 ice time in total then I do. Emberson was really good playing with him. Emberson is really good every single night.

Mersch all freshman line was great. Tony sent those guys over the boards for the faceoff after the timeout in the closing minutes with confidence. And Achan drew the penalty on that shift that essentially ended it.

I don't expect another road win tonight as it sounds like Inamoto, who has been playing banged up most of the year, is questionable and the other D logged a ton of minutes last night. ND is on the bubble and desperately need to win this game to preserve a chance at an at large bid. Don't expect a win, but drop the puck and anything can happen.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Messner shouldn't be on the penalty kill. He's awful at it.

Comment

Messner shouldn't be on the penalty kill. He's awful at it.
          Nobody's very good at it.

4 to 1. This one's over. Very disappointing after last night but it shows you cannot lean on the goalie all the time. Lebby saved their asses last night.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            Nobody's very good at it.

4 to 1. This one's over. Very disappointing after last night but it shows you cannot lean on the goalie all the time. Lebby saved their asses last night.
            No, it's specifically him. Look at the goals for Notre Dame tonight. It's his guy on the power play goals. I've noticed he's been the one making mistakes on the PK.

Comment

No, it's specifically him. Look at the goals for Notre Dame tonight. It's his guy on the power play goals. I've noticed he's been the one making mistakes on the PK.
              Speaks to bad coaching doesn’t it?

1 - he’s not improving
              2 - the coaches don’t pull him off pk

But beyond that, I don’t see the steady improvements you’d typically see with players getting coached up as the season goes along. How have The sophomores and Freshman improved from day 1???
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

1 - he’s not improving

But beyond that, I don’t see the steady improvements you’d typically see with players getting coached up as the season goes along. How have The sophomores and Freshman improved from day 1???
                Doesn't look good going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

1 - he’s not improving

It really does speak to coaching when a guy has the puck for a few seconds at the point and our guy still doesn't have his stick in the right lane. Also, what is our PK strategy? It feels like we've got one forward chasing the three guys at the point, left and right walls. Then there's an awkward small triangle down low. Is that an actual strategy? What happened to the typical box that every team runs? With the current setup you've got one forward caught in no-man's land and the other is just standing there looking really out of position (especially with his stick in the wrong lane). People wonder why the opposing team's power play gets the puck so in close to our net. The answer is literally right there.

Comment

It really does speak to coaching when a guy has the puck for a few seconds at the point and our guy still doesn't have his stick in the right lane. Also, what is our PK strategy? It feels like we've got one forward chasing the three guys at the point, left and right walls. Then there's an awkward small triangle down low. Is that an actual strategy? What happened to the typical box that every team runs? With the current setup you've got one forward caught in no-man's land and the other is just standing there looking really out of position (especially with his stick in the wrong lane). People wonder why the opposing team's power play gets the puck so in close to our net. The answer is literally right there.
                    The PK also gets shredded on passes from the boards to the backdoor. Like clockwork.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      Continue on here.

Stats after MSU:

PWR T31st of 60 down 2 spots
                      GPG 3.08 down 7 spots to 19th
                      GAA 3.35 down one spot to tie for 47th
                      PP% 18.18% tie for 27th, down 5 spots
                      PK% 71.56% up one spot to 59th
                      Pen Minutes 12.50 up one spot (worse) to tie for 16th (1st is the most penalties)
                      Faceoff % 41.9% still dead last at 60th (and still dead last)
                      Stats after Golden Domes:

PWR T31st of 60 - no change
                      GPG 2.87 down 10 spots to 29th
                      GAA 3.30 still at 47th
                      PP% 16.52% down 11 spots to 38th
                      PK% 72.87% still 59th
                      Pen Minutes 13.20 up six spots (worse) to 10th (1st is the most penalties)
                      Faceoff % 42.3% still dead last at 60th

And the good times keep rolling. Best stat is goals per game at 29th of 60 teams. Hooray!
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

If you flip all 7 of those games, we would jump from 33 to 7 in the pairwise rankings.
                        OSU would go up from 7 to 4, Denver would go down from 4 to 9

If you take the games where we were tied and keep those as a tie through OT, we would be up to 18 from 33.

Comment

As a strategy, the pk plan is fairly sound on paper. The idea is to make shots come from the more easily defended wings, rather than the point, and deny the high percentage shots from the slot that a 2-2 configuration is more vulnerable to. And then to outnumber the offense 3-2 in front of the net when the puck does get in. A lot of things look good on paper but the players still have to execute. I think Saturday is the only game I missed watching this year, but I did see the highlights, and the second pp goal where Messner loses his guy in the slot for the deflection in is exactly what the strategy is trying to avoid. Thing is, you can position a guy in the right spot, but that guy still has to make a play when the time comes. The first one where the pass gets past Messner to the back door, is a little more of a hockey play that can happen, but Messner is still in the right position to deny the pass, he just doesn't execute and the ND guy does.

So I guess I'm saying that I don't think the plan is really a bad one, it may theoretically even be a very good one, but the players have to do their jobs no matter what the plan is, or it's not going to work. The key to the pk they are playing to me is the point man getting pressure and disrupting the puck movement out top early on. This is a hard and energy consuming job that requires good, aggressive, decision making and strong skating. Mostly it's played pretty tentatively though, and eventually the pk'ers wear down and breakdown. Contrast that with how, say, Frederic or Wagner played the point and forced the play or jumped the puck carrier as soon as the opportunity presented itself. Just not getting that kind of confident decision making out of these players.
                          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 02-18-2019, 09:47 AM.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            So I guess I'm saying that I don't think the plan is really a bad one, it may theoretically even be a very good one, but the players have to do their jobs no matter what the plan is, or it's not going to work.
                            I disagree. We have the 59th ranked penalty kill. Obviously, this group of players shouldn't be 59th of 60 at anything. At this point in the year, you use the strengths of the guys you have and make adjustments. Great coaches adjust their plan for the players they have. This isn't being done. Throw the "desired" plan out the window and adjust.

A second, even better option, is you take less penalties.....
                            Last edited by WiscTJK; 02-18-2019, 10:09 AM.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              I disagree. We have the 59th ranked penalty kill. Obviously, this group of players shouldn't be 59th of 60 at anything. At this point in the year, you use the strengths of the guys you have and make adjustments. Great coaches adjust their plan for the players they have. This isn't being done. Throw the "desired" plan out the window and adjust.

A second, even better option, is you take less penalties.....
                              Agree with your points, but it has seemed to me, which I have said multiple times before, that the staff isn't and hasn't been in a "win now" mode of operation all year. When questioned in just the last few weeks Tony has said they are going to continue to play Freshman in big roles no matter what. Reminds me a lot of how Eaves operated in the Burish class freshman year. Played Freshman a lot of games and minutes even though there were probably upperclassmen that were "better" at the time. They lost 23 games that year and then those guys, (Gilbert, MacMurchy, Burish, Licari Degenhardt, Leavitt, Sawatske, Gibson) went on to be the backbone of a three very good teams. Though they obviously replaced a few of those guys.

It just has seemed to me all year that the staff is all about developing the younger guys for the future (even if it means just throwing them into the deep end, or to the wolves) and not making moves to to try and squeeze a few more wins out of a team that doesn't have the horses to really go anywhere anyway. Right or wrong, they are just sticking with their long term plan to try and build a #1 type team. That has been my impression and I think Tony has confirmed it in several ways more recently, although perhaps without just blatantly stating it outright.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The Saturday game really killed me. The PK had been better, it was trending in the right direction, then it blew up Saturday. The trend is flat with a horrible base line, the numbers don't lie. The Fr are practically So's now. His So class are practically Jr's. Faceoffs and special teams should be on the upswing. They are not. It's not good and usually I'm a rah rah guy. I'm very excited to see fantastic 4 next year, but will what they produce be sustainable once they are all gone in 2-3 years? The systems have to work as they plug new guys in every year. At this point the systems suck.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X