Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Have been lurking for a while, but first...I think it's time for a witty thread title. If not going into the playoffs with a whole lot of "mo" then when?

Second, that series against Michigan was probably the best medicine for the fans that this program has needed in a while. There was a lot of pride on the line; fighting for home ice, senior weekend, ending the season with a dud. It had the opportunity to be a disaster or to rally.

McBadgerton said it the best, Wisconsin has always been one of those teams that operates in the shadows of college hockey headlines. They haven't won a TON of conference championships, or conference tournaments for that matter. But donning that sweater in games that loom large has ALWAYS been a hallmark of the program. Maybe we lost sight of that at the end of the Eaves era. Believing in something larger than self or stats and, not doing the impossible, but putting it all together when it counts the most. This weekend felt like that. Fans needed that drama of edge of your seat OT thrillers to become vested. I think we created some more Badger hockey fans at Kohl Center this weekend

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by GoBucky18 View Post
      Have been lurking for a while, but first...I think it's time for a witty thread title. If not going into the playoffs with a whole lot of "mo" then when?

Second, that series against Michigan was probably the best medicine for the fans that this program has needed in a while. There was a lot of pride on the line; fighting for home ice, senior weekend, ending the season with a dud. It had the opportunity to be a disaster or to rally.

McBadgerton said it the best, Wisconsin has always been one of those teams that operates in the shadows of college hockey headlines. They haven't won a TON of conference championships, or conference tournaments for that matter. But donning that sweater in games that loom large has ALWAYS been a hallmark of the program. Maybe we lost sight of that at the end of the Eaves era. Believing in something larger than self or stats and, not doing the impossible, but putting it all together when it counts the most. This weekend felt like that. Fans needed that drama of edge of your seat OT thrillers to become vested. I think we created some more Badger hockey fans at Kohl Center this weekend
      What's funny about this is even in the worst season of Badger hockey, they tied #2 Boston University. Should have won, but Dougherty did a silly and allowed BU to tie it late.

Comment

You geniuses see the fans last night? Like I've been freaking saying it's only a matter of time and winning before **** gets real at the kohl. We dont need some special $2 upper section special. Badger hockey is the ****

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
          You geniuses see the fans last night? Like I've been freaking saying it's only a matter of time and winning before **** gets real at the kohl. We dont need some special $2 upper section special. Badger hockey is the ****
          To all the old timers.... YES the kohl will be packed again.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            Stats after Penn State:

PWR T31st of 60 - no change
            GPG 2.97 up 5 spots to T24th
            GAA 3.44 drop 5 to T52nd
            PP% 15.83% down 5 spots to 43rd
            PK% 73.68% still 59th
            Pen Minutes 12.88 dropped (better) 3 spots to 13th (1st is the most penalties)
            Faceoff % 42.2% still dead last at 60th
            Stats after Michigan:

PWR 26th of 60 - improved 5 spots
            GPG 3.06 up 4 spots to T20th
            GAA 3.44 stayed at 52nd
            PP% 16.00% down 1 spot to 44th
            PK% 74.10% still 59th
            Pen Minutes 13.29 up (worse) 1 spots to 12th (1st is the most penalties)
            Faceoff % 42.1% still dead last at 60th

Well those were a couple exciting fun games Friday and Saturday and I got to enjoy both live. Hoping that this is the building blocks for next week and next year.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Can someone who was watching the game on TV please explain why the first OT goal was disallowed, and then the faceoff was moved outside the zone. At the game they didn't explain anything. Was it an offsides on the GWG?
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                Can someone who was watching the game on TV please explain why the first OT goal was disallowed, and then the faceoff was moved outside the zone. At the game they didn't explain anything. Was it an offsides on the GWG?
                Too many men on the ice. Even though no penalty was called.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

It was not offside. The announcers never knew/said why it was disallowed for sure at the time, they guessed in the end it was a too many men type thing (but no penalty then???), Posick tweeted that is was an "illegal substitution" sometime yesterday. I hope Todd D asks TG about it at the presser.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    Too many men on the ice. Even though no penalty was called.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                    That's crap. How can you have that call without someone going into the box?
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Dhooghe jumped from the bench to the ice before Kalynuk, who he was changing for, was within 5 feet of the bench. That was an illegal substitution. The goal was disallowed but no penalty was assigned because you can't assess new minor penalties from the replay. (They can call a major from the replay.) As far as I can tell from the rules it was a technically correct call, although completely stupid as it had nothing to do with the play in any way.
                      Granato's point was that MI challenged the play was offsides which it wasn't, but the current rules allow the refs to just check everything on a goal scoring replay. I later listened to the replay and Ian's point was that you might as well challenge an illegal stick and have it measured on every important goal as they are going to check the replay for everything else anyway. It's kind of dumb to be penalized for something that gives no advantage on a goal scoring play, but that's the way it is right now.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Because that referee crew was a bunch of clowns. They were a joke all weekend. The non-call on the delay of game as the Michigan player was in the net and just lifted it off the moorings was the worst one of the weekend. Granato was going crazy and neither ref went over to talk to him. Saturday behind the play a Michigan player checked a Wisconsin player in the head with the ref watching and no call.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I think my memories of the two games were running together...The Granato waving the G to the bench was from Friday night. Feel free to ignore the rest of the post, or read it if you want some possible obscure officiating references
                          ---

They could have used the somewhat obscure "Premature Substitution" rule and called it as the player who came on early was replacing the goalkeeper.

In the video replays that I have seen, TG was dramatically waving to get The Hammer to the bench for the extra attacker.

Per 75.1 in the rules, if a substituting player comes on before the goalkeeper is within 5 feet of the bench it is a stoppage and reset, but not a "timeout" penalty

There shall be no time penalty to the team making the premature substitution, but the resulting face-off will take place at the center ice face-off spot when play is stopped beyond the center red line. When play is stopped prior to the center red line, the resulting face-off shall be conducted at the nearest face-off spot in the zone where the play was stopped.

Partner that with 93.4 which calls out the allowable review items

To determine if a goal was scored as a result of an offside play or as the result of an undetected too many men on the ice infraction by the attacking team

and mix in a dash of 93.7 which talks about review part/review all
                          When any aspect of the video replay criteria is challenged, it allows the referee to utilize all aspects of the review criteria to be judged (e.g., high stick challenged, but video shows the puck was kicked into the goal).

I think the correct call was made according to the rules, but I don't think that it is the right way to officiate the game.
                          Last edited by KaMiGo; 03-04-2019, 03:20 PM. Reason: was combining the two games in my memories

Comment

Fun discussion on highlight reel goals among my friends (from seeing the Freytag goal on Friday on the USCHO plays of the week video.

What’s on a Top 10 for Badger Hockey?

I figure the Barnes and Hughes between the legs goals are in:
                            https://youtu.be/p1sfzjzH9z4
                            https://youtu.be/97TV1PGm-k8

The Shane Connelly spin-o-rama saves are pretty awesome as well:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqgcDoAh7E
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rzbhFYI4pI
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                              You're talking about the last 2 home games of the year and senior night. It doesn't turn around in one weekend, "genius". However next year SHOULD be different.
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Can we all just offer a big applause to our favorite "Big Ten" Network for fulfilling their promise of the "best college hockey coverage" this upcoming first round tournament weekend? (SARCASM)

Seriously, how in the **** can BTN not be broadcasting ANY of the first round tournament games??? The folks in Minnesota get to see theirs on Fox Sports North, well, because Minnesota, but UW-PSU and ND-MSU are both simple arena feeds on the pay-extra "plus" tier. What a cluster. They have half a dozen alternate BTN channels they turn on for football, but they can't even muster ANY broadcast coverage of their conference's own tournament? I know Barry knows we have a hockey team - I saw him at the Kohl Center on Mark Johnson night with my own eyes. How he can't be on the phone right now raising hell about this is disappointing. The coaches from any of these teams can't be happy that the post season, when the best - and most exciting - hockey is supposed to be played, can't be seen by fans or potential recruits.

Seriously, here in Wisconsin we roll off of the biggest, most exciting and most hope-offering weekend in recent history, and any fans who got re-jazzed up by the excitement and are looking forward to the playoffs will get a big face full of how little the "conference" and its "network" care about this sport.

https://btn.com/2019/03/04/2019-big-...verage-on-btn/

Comment

Working...
                                X