Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Golf thread

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    But in your example the $2000 is an artificially low figure. Even the $2400 may be. We wouldn't know until all of the tickets were put on the exchange. If the market says that all of the tickets would be sold at $30, is there some reason the "burden" on the fans to get in should only be $2000, using your example?

Aren't a lot of the brokers either directly connected with or in contract with the event sponsor? I know that a lot of professional teams and universities have ticket exchanges, in many instances "exclusive" or "sponsored".

Take the Ryder Cup, the event that prompted this discussion. I think PrimeSports is the company that is handling their ticket exchange. I think that's the same company that does the ticket exchange for the College World Series. My guess is that both the college world series and the ryder cup are benefiting financially from that relationship.

The secondary market only works if there is demand. I remember the Frozen Four in Columbus in 2005 where people couldn't get $10 for their tickets.

The sponsors are doing things the correct way. They put some tickets out on the market, but a limited number, thus assuring a base of people shut out from the tickets. The limited nature of the tickets creates an artificial demand (see: Beanie Babies) which then causes people to blow $150 to see Taylor Swift.

The only reason people are paying higher than face value for tickets on the secondary market is.......people are paying higher than face value on the secondary market.
    I used the numbers for simplicity sake. The concept is the same in real life, albeit with much more money being involved.

In B, it's the same demand, but the price is artificially inflated to the benefit of brokers. That is the problem.

Article explaining the concept

I'd gladly pay a higher value directly to the team or venue. I'm not paying more to an entity who scammed the system using inside methods and bots.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Don't buy then.

I'd love to go to the Masters every year. It would be fun if I went out to my garage each morning and a McLaren P1 was sitting there where my Chevy used to be. Them's the breaks.

The producer sets the price based upon many factors, not the least of which is that he or she needs to make a certain amount of money to pay costs and hopefully pocket a profit. The market will set the real price.

You guys can't have it both ways. Stubhub and the like are game changers in terms of giving you a chance to go to an event. What, 15 years ago if you didn't have a ticket you could drive to wherever the event was held and hope to find some shady guy standing on a street corner selling tickets that were hopefully valid.

Many an instance I drove hours to see an event, only to discover that I couldn't get a ticket at a price I was willing to pay and had to go sit in a bar and watch it.

Now that problem is gone.

You guys need to quit whining about these companies, as you use their services.
      Bootstraps. Stop crying.

Gotcha.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'd better play with anybody from the neighbor state then from Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by DonMiller View Post
          I'd better play with anybody from the neighbor state then from Spain.
          What about playing with bots?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            The issue is that currently upwards of 40% of tickets to high demand events end up in the hands of people who have no intention of using the tickets. Those people buy them with the sole purpose of flipping them for a profit. By doing that, they are preventing the same people that they end up selling to a chance to get in the venue without the markup. That is where the issue comes in.

Ticket brokers also are not just getting tickets through the general sales process like your average Joe. They are using inside methods like comped Friends & Family tickets.
            Based on what I’ve seen I suspect in a lot of cases it’s the team’s themselves that are selling on the ticket exchanges. They’ve completely cut out the middle man.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Golfer runs out of golf balls, doesn't finish the hole, gets DQed.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Roy McAvoy?

Comment

Story is the dude just wanted to go home. Putted with his wedge on the 3rd
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Patrick Reed.

Once a cheater, always a cheater.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Wow, PGA champions get to go to Maui, and ... the weather sucks!
                      Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

If you play golf, some guidelines;

https://www.golf.com/news/2020/03/14...avirus-expert/
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          I wonder about this advice now. It's all very worrying and unsettling. In Europe, the worst affected countries are starting to flatten the curve. (UK, Spain, Italy). I sure hope we can get back on the golf course real soon.

Comment

Originally posted by XmcFly View Post
                            I wonder about this advice now. It's all very worrying and unsettling. In Europe, the worst affected countries are starting to flatten the curve. (UK, Spain, Italy). I sure hope we can get back on the golf course real soon.
                            I had to get my left knee replaced for the 4th time in March. I made the commitment that I wouldn’t play golf this year and took a medical leave from my club. My timing was accidental but impeccable.
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                              I had to get my left knee replaced for the 4th time in March. I made the commitment that I wouldn’t play golf this year and took a medical leave from my club. My timing was accidental but impeccable.
                              4th? Holy crap. Do you get a set a steak knives at 5?

Take it easy out there.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Maine opened up golf today, have to stay in your county to play.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X