X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    On the animation side of things, it goes well beyond just Looney Toons... They have all of the Hanna Barbara content as well (Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear, various Cartoon Network toons like Dexter's Lab and Space Ghost). That's quite a large selection of content, especially given how much value can be placed on nostalgia nowadays...

Edit to add: Hanna Barbara Wiki.. Not sure if all that translates to WB's ability to use for this venture, but it's a ton content.
    Let's do a live action Dexter's Lab!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      The Anne Frank one is pretty good. The show is alright but I wouldnt go out of my way to watch it just a time killer.
      Watched that one tonight. The highlight was obviously Gilbert Gottfried as Hitler. He will go down as an insta-HOFer in comedy, IMO, just because of his style/brand. Some of those lines....wow.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        The problem is that going forward Warner doesn't have much else. If it wants to reboot things it can tap into the Rocky, Dirty Harry, Matrix, Police Academy, Mad Max, Sherlock Holmes, Lethal Weapon and Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes franchises, but the only current franchises are the fading Lego, Potterverse and Godzilla franchises. The Conjuring universe is still going strongish for a horror franchise. Where is Warner/AT&T going with the Ocean's movies? Scooby Doo? The Stephen King adaptations of It and Doctor Sleep are Warner, but he also has series in development with Amazon and AMC, and has done work with Hulu, so WB can hardly count on him to provide exclusive content.
        These studios dont need franchises...they are good to have mind you but they arent needed. WB has been around for quite some time they arent going to run out of content any time soon. Plus they have enough Past TV Shows to keep things going for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Plus it isnt like they are going to stop making Batman movies or any other successful character.
        Last edited by Handyman; 07-09-2019, 10:53 PM.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          Watched that one tonight. The highlight was obviously Gilbert Gottfried as Hitler.
          The role he was born to play. It took me years to understand and appreciate what GG is doing. He is f-cking incredible if for no other reason than dogged determination. He's Andy Kaufman if he had lived.
          Last edited by Kepler; 07-10-2019, 04:46 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            The role he was born to play. It took me years to understand and appreciate what GG is doing. He is f-cking incredible if for no other reason than dogged determination. He's Andy Kaufman if he had lived.
            he almost follows the "as long as they don't call you needle d!ck" mantra, except that would be just fine with him as well. there may be a time limit for some with sitting around on a couch and listening to him go on and on, but mookie would be there a while. funny guy (to mookie).
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Season 3 of Snowfall starts tonight.
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                there may be a time limit for some with sitting around on a couch and listening to him go on and on, but mookie would be there a while. funny guy (to mookie).
                There's a time limit for everybody except Pryor. Even Carlin wears eventually.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Carlin gets a bit tiresome once you hit 30 and are no longer as easily entertained by hearing all the different ways in which "Fck" can be used/conjugated in the space of 5-10 minutes.

That's why "Baseball vs. Football" will always be his best bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    About 10-12 years ago I caught a GG live show. He came out and did about 55 minutes of nothing but "knock knock" jokes, and like pretty much every "knock knock" joke ever written, they were bad. He then walked off the stage, sat at a table and sold DVD's of his past performances.

To this day I have no idea what that was about.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Carlin gets a bit tiresome once you hit 30 and are no longer as easily entertained by hearing all the different ways in which "Fck" can be used/conjugated in the space of 5-10 minutes.

That's why "Baseball vs. Football" will always be his best bit.
                      You have never sounded so much like Kepler in all your life.

And that doesnt rank in the top 10 of his best bits though it is a good one. Carlin does sometimes fall back on the "F" word too much but his best bits are always about why humanity sucks and how we can destroy large segments of them. Or anything he says about Golf
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        That accusation isn't THAT big of an insult anymore.

I like the one about the NRA and fruity "Wayne LaPierre", but I'll bet most of the Twitter Left would find it homophobic now.

And of course, there's always the one about airline announcements.
                        Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-10-2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

The American Experience: Chasing the Moon. I've only watched 2 episodes so far (3 are available, I don't know how many there will be) and it's been fantastic. If you have even the slightest interest in the space program I recommend it.

What I don't recommend is The Grand Hotel. I knew nothing about it but I saw that it starred Demián Bichir whom I really enjoyed in The Bridge, but I just freaking hate soap operas and will not make it onto E2.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

And that doesnt rank in the top 10 of his best bits though it is a good one. Carlin does sometimes fall back on the "F" word too much but his best bits are always about why humanity sucks and how we can destroy large segments of them. Or anything he says about Golf
                            I agree with you on Carlin here, though.

His best bits are about Catholic schools, "hey, fadda...," and of course about what we have been taught to view as "freedom."
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              About 10-12 years ago I caught a GG live show. He came out and did about 55 minutes of nothing but "knock knock" jokes, and like pretty much every "knock knock" joke ever written, they were bad. He then walked off the stage, sat at a table and sold DVD's of his past performances.

To this day I have no idea what that was about.
                              Here's all it was about. Did some people enjoy it?

I can explain GG to you. He's a "pure comedian." Everything is for the joke. He doesn't care about causes or himself or you. He especially doesn't care about you, where YOU is a Very Serious Person who thinks they reason and thinks the things they think Matter. He's not against that he just doesn't give it the slightest attention and this makes people who are used to the staged fellatio of entertainment irritated (he's dissing me) or bored (he's not talking about me).

It's just the joke. That's what links him with Andy Kaufman. They don't want you to like them or hate them or think about them at all and they especially don't want you to think about you. They're the exact opposite of Seinfeld, whose entire act is to appeal to your vanity and your self-absorption. They're the opposite of one of my alltime favorites, Bob Newhart, who is all about getting you to look at yourself and laugh. They don't give a single sh-t about anything but the joke. One reason Kaufman never got along with his co-actors is he played the joke all the time on them, and that's something you may never do, because they are Artists Doing Art. He didn't care. In the same way GG doesn't want to lead you anywhere, he doesn't want to explore you, he knows you're a zero because he's way ahead of you and he's a zero.

I love this about both of them. In a way they are the actual insult comics because guys like Dangerfield and Rickels (and early Woody, a very underrated insult comic) still invited you in and shared the joke. AK & GG just do the joke, without preamble. Either you get it and you buy in totally or you don't, and if you don't they have no time for you to catch up. That was Mozart with music. That's Vonnegut with humor. It's the mark of the genuine article middle finger. I can't do it myself but my God it's beautiful to see.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 07-10-2019, 05:27 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                What I don't recommend is The Grand Hotel. I knew nothing about it but I saw that it starred Demián Bichir whom I really enjoyed in The Bridge, but I just freaking hate soap operas and will not make it onto E2.
                                All I know is the daughter character just graduated from Cornell and the other characters said she had to remind everyone how smart she was.

Now, why they would have her graduating from the business school and not the hotel school, I don't know.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X