This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

The whole endeavor is stupid. The picture is cool for a second then it doesnt matter anymore. Congrats you got a picture no one will care about 5 minutes after you post it...at least you paid 10k to do it. Must have been rough sleeping in those heated tents with your Sherpa Butler serving you meals. You truly have conquered the mountain
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      The whole endeavor is stupid. The picture is cool for a second then it doesnt matter anymore. Congrats you got a picture no one will care about 5 minutes after you post it...at least you paid 10k to do it. Must have been rough sleeping in those heated tents with your Sherpa Butler serving you meals. You truly have conquered the mountain
      I have to slightly disagree with you.

If you're an amateur and you pay tens of thousands to have professionals and sherpas get you to the top, you don't get to claim it as some great mountaineering feat, and I don't think most of them do. I suspect many of them think about it the same way that I do, which is to stand on the highest point on earth and look around would be amazing. I simply don't have $80k I want to blow trying to kill myself.

I would personally love to go even to base camp and see it.

The problem they have now is simply numbers. There is a finite number of days in which even the best of climbers can summit, and there is a minimum number of hours required to do it. When people have to stand in line waiting for a chance to get up, whether they are climbing it themselves or having sherpas take them to the top, that's when people are going to die.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This isn't rocket science. Cap the number of permits and raise the rate required to get one.

Next issue.

Comment

Just finished binging season 2 of Dark on Netflix this opening weekend since school starts again today.

Season 2 was just as fantastic as season 1. One of my favorite series in recent years much less on Netflix. I think it’s a lot better than stranger things. The casting and acting is superb. Also manages the topic of time travel well.

Hold up for many will be the German subtitles. I speak German, albeit not well anymore so I still read the subtitles. Can’t imagine dubbed but some will prefer that.

Comment

Has anyone else watched the three episodes from Season 5 of Black Mirror on Netflix?

I thought they were at best, ok. I probably liked episode one the best, followed by two, with the Miley Cyrus episode my least favorite. That final episode didn't really have a point to it that I could discern.

It's possible I liked episode 1 the best because I have a number of younger friends/associates who are gamers, and it's been a lot of fun questioning them about whether that's why they really like gaming.

All in all, I was disappointed there were only three episodes and in the overall quality of them. Some of the earlier episodes made me literally want to throw every piece of technology out of my house, but none of the new episodes had that effect. Maybe I'm just getting numb to it.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Comments on three shows I'm watching now.

Big Little Lies

I was a little skeptical of a second season of this show. I wasn't really sure where they would go with the story, although I guess the obvious path is the one chosen, the cover up of what occurred at the end of the first season. We're now 4 episodes in of a planned 7 episodes and I'm enjoying it. Laura Dern has been fantastic in this season, and Meryl Streep has added a pretty dark element to it.

City on a Hill

At first blush I thought this was basically going to be Affleck re-working The Town with a different cast. But the series has grown on me. I'm not a huge Kevin Bacon fan, but I've enjoyed his performance thus far. I'll be pleased if this turns out to be a 10 episode, one season show, but I suspect it'll continue for multiple seasons. It has the possibility of getting bogged down, I fear.

The Loudest Voice

I thought (and still think) this show has the chance to be the most entertaining, since I assume Ailes will get skewered pretty good. I really enjoy Russel Crowe's work, and he seems right at home in the lead for this series.

The premiere, last night, was a bit slow, but I assume part of that is the set up. I'm glad it's a limited run series. I expect things will escalate next week, and I look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                Has anyone else watched the three episodes from Season 5 of Black Mirror on Netflix?
                I watched 5.01 and 5.02. Dr. Mrs. told me I'd hate the kids one so I ignored it.

Loved the two I watched. They were far less gee whiz tech and much more human drama, but they were written and acted so well I didn't mind. The first one was incredibly complex and subtle and strange -- up there with anything from the prior years except San Junipero because that's on Deity level.
                Last edited by Kepler; 07-01-2019, 04:37 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I watched 5.01 and 5.02. Dr. Mrs. told me I'd hate the kids one so I ignored it.

Loved the two I watched. They were far less gee whiz tech and much more human drama, but they were written and acted so well I didn't mind. The first one was incredibly complex and subtle and strange -- up there with anything from the prior years except San Junipero because that's on Deity level.
                  Haven't gotten to season 5 yet, just doing season 4 now. Too much artificial consciousness in this season to the exclusion of all else, imo. Between the crime museum and star trek episodes, anyway.

But yeah, San Junipero was one of the greatest episodes of TV ever even though it had the same tech hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'd give 5.03 a shot. I can see how it could be annoying (it is like a R rated Disney movie), but I enjoyed it. Definitely not the weakest of the black mirror overall.
                    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

The guy that won Jeopardy tonight is a BU season ticket holder!! I know him. Always pretty cool when things like that happen.

Comment

• The Rook on Starz was fantastic. Looking forward to the rest.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I tried E1 of Euphoria and no thanks. btw I know we partied in HS but wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I tried E1 of Euphoria and no thanks. btw I know we partied in HS but wtf?
                            Dr. Mrs. watched this to taunt-spite me but even she turned it off halfway through. Bad doesn't capture it. As great TV gets better, masses TV gets worse.

But don't you dis All American or I'll cut you.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 07-02-2019, 06:05 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                              I'd give 5.03 a shot. I can see how it could be annoying (it is like a R rated Disney movie), but I enjoyed it. Definitely not the weakest of the black mirror overall.
                              There was an episode from an earlier season that looked terrible too but turned out fine. I can't remember which -- it might have been the "social credit score" one. Kinda weak but still worth watching.

I'm just amazed at how solid the first two this season were in acting and writing. They were genuinely beautiful and substantial stories -- they could have been written in the 30s or 40s before brains and souls atrophied.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 07-02-2019, 06:04 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I rewatched San Junipero with my girlfriend tonight. I remember it being way better the first time I saw it.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X