X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    A ranking of HBO shows. Happy that the leftovers was high, think six feet under should have been higher.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best...m_campaign=nym
    Main takeaway: HBO really hasn't had many good shows.

Personal list, obviously not objective:

1. Westworld (S1). The greatest show in television history so obviously #1 here.
    2. Veep
    3. Dream On
    4. Game of Thrones
    5. Flight of the Conchords
    6. The Newsroom
    7. Leftovers (S1)
    8. Succession
    9. Vinyl
    10. Rome

Never saw but probably would have liked:

Larry Sanders
    Philip Marlowe
    True Detective (S1)
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Amazon Prime starts streaming a new Neil Gaiman show tomorrow - Good Omens. It's clearly based upon the Christian-Judeo mythos, and the cast looks really good.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        A ranking of HBO shows. Happy that the leftovers was high, think six feet under should have been higher.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best...m_campaign=nym
        Silicon Valley got robbed.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I gotta watch WestWorld eventually. Probably next fall. This summer I'm just trying to clear the DVR.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

1. Westworld (S1). The greatest show in television history so obviously #1 here.
            2. Veep
            3. Dream On
            4. Game of Thrones
            6. The Newsroom
            7. Leftovers (S1)
            8. Succession
            9. Vinyl
            10. Rome

Larry Sanders
            Philip Marlowe
            True Detective (S1)
            Yeah, I really think Westworld got jobbed. Granted, it's only two seasons long so it has room to move up or down.

I personally liked The Newsroom but I know it was hated by a lot of AV Club nerds. If this didn't have Sorkin's name attached to it, it wouldn't have been panned anywhere near what it was. Besides, how can you hate a show that got Sam Watterson to say "f-ck"?

And based upon their bizarre criteria, The Deuce should be moved down a couple dozen spots.

From the article:
            Generally speaking, the top ten here should be considered canonical television: Shows that didn’t just distinguish themselves with their quality and cultural reach, but which suggested entirely new approaches to making TV
            Sopranos - Yes
            Deadwood - ??? (haven't seen)
            The Wire - Yes (haven't seen)
            Larry Sanders - Yes (haven't seen)
            Sex and the City - Probably (haven't seen)
            The Leftovers - ??? (haven't seen entirely)
            Curb Your Enthusiasm - Not entire sure it qualifies, but it's great
            Game of Thrones - Yes
            Veep - Maybe (haven't seen)
            Oz - Not sure, but considering this might have been the genesis of good shows with boobs and swears on HBO, sure. (haven't seen)

And if the list is "[focused on] how the network changed television by competing directly with broadcast TV", then Game of Thrones should be a heck of a lot higher. It has redefined "TV epic" in a way we haven't seen since Roots. I'm not sure The Leftovers qualifies as high as it did based on these criteria either. It might be a great show (I've tried watching it twice, but get kind of bored around the end of the fourth episode), I know a few on here think it's brilliant, but did it really define how HBO competed against even basic cable? Did it really change how TV is made? And maybe you can throw Veep in that pile of amazing shows but not really redefining. Veep is basically a serial comedy just done to perfection.

There aren't many shows that can really qualify for that top ten list. Sopranos, Oz, Game of Thrones, The Wire are all easy to put in that category. I haven't seen Deadwood, Sex in the City, or Larry Sanders, but I suspect they are in that category. Curb might fit if only because it's almost entirely improvised and it's done impeccably. No one else does that and I'm not sure I can think of another show like it.

The bottom ten would be the dregs: The real misbegotten products of the whole HBO experiment.
            Haven't seen any of these except for The Newsroom. I vehemently disagree with this being called one of HBO's dregs.

Everything in between falls into more of a loose continuum. Each has their merits — and, no doubt, fans who’ll be mad they’re not ranked higher — but in determining which was a “somewhere in the 50s” show versus “somewhere in the 20s,” we tried to consider not just entertainment value, but originality and ambition. What is HBO doing here that other media outlets aren’t?
            But isn't that basically using a random number generator if you can't differentiate between a bottom third show and a top third show? Seems like a pretty silly approach.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-30-2019, 04:52 PM.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

2. Veep
              3. Dream On
              4. Game of Thrones
              6. The Newsroom
              7. Leftovers (S1)
              8. Succession
              9. Vinyl
              10. Rome

Larry Sanders
              Philip Marlowe
              True Detective (S1)
              No Barry? Barry is fantastic. Season 2 was better than season 1.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Zero misses in Round 9.

Round 10 in the books and we still have 14 left.

Strap in, folks. This could be a long night.
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  No Barry? Barry is fantastic. Season 2 was better than season 1.
                  Barry is moving up fast.
                  Not sure who is best- hader, winkler or noho hank.

Comment

One miss in Round 11.

13 spellers remaining.
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Round 19.

Still 8 left.

It's going on midnight DCplex time.

ETA: Round 20 complete. That's the fifth straight perfect round. Still 8 to go.

Possible reason: the bee changed its entry procedures last year to allow home schoolers/other educational collaboratives to self-sponsor, in the absence of newspapers who can sponsor a regional and to make sure areas with lots of national-tier spellers don't get screwed over (Dallas, Texas apparently has scads of national-tier spellers and is severely lacking in sponsors.) It didn't really cause a problem last year, but hoo boy is it rearing its head now. What was around 250 spellers is now almost 600.

Good write-up on it here: https://time.com/5598460/scripps-spe...e-2019-rsvbee/
                      Last edited by Twitch Boy; 05-30-2019, 11:10 PM.

Comment

They just called it. 8-way champs.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          I didn't realize the MHSAA was in charge of the spelling bee this year.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Horrible. Do a cage match or something.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              Horrible. Do a cage match or something.
                              Honestly, I don't know what to do.

As I mentioned, there are hotbeds of spelling bee collaboratives now that churn out a dozen national-tier spellers, any of whom are capable of winning the whole thing.

The sad part? They used to have a second written test, the score of which was intended as a tiebreaker if it got down to a deadlock like this. They did away with it.

This is maddening.

Comment

Honestly, I don't know what to do.

As I mentioned, there are hotbeds of spelling bee collaboratives now that churn out a dozen national-tier spellers, any of whom are capable of winning the whole thing.

The sad part? They used to have a second written test, the score of which was intended as a tiebreaker if it got down to a deadlock like this. They did away with it.

This is maddening.
                                Test knowledge of the origin of the word, oral or written. SOMEthing. They can come up with a tiebreaker. I'm guessing laziness of the organizers.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X