X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    That was a tough episode of Chernobyl to watch.
    Twitter sports writer Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud) has been Tweeting out his reactions to the episodes. And so far he is completely blown away by the level of authenticity that the team behind it have done. He was impressed with little details, stuff that he said Western viewers wouldn't even care about. He's been a good follow for insight to the series.

Tonight's especially hit home for him, because he found out this weekend that his step-father was actually *at* Chernobyl in 1986, and his father's unit was depicted in the background of tonight's episode.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      That was a tough episode of Chernobyl to watch.
      God you weren’t kidding. Brutal

Comment

I've mentioned this on FB multiple times, but check out "City 40." A doc on a secret city in Russia. They were exposed to more radiation (reported anywhere from 2x-5x) of Chernobyl. And many of the citizens think they are protecting the world from nuclear disasters. Whoops.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Since I don't have cable, I'm a little behind here, but American Gods, season 1. I've only seen the first episode, but if you've read the book you're going to enjoy at least that first episode. It was all of the over-the-top sequences that you'd expect from the book's opening few chapters.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            Since I don't have cable, I'm a little behind here, but American Gods, season 1. I've only seen the first episode, but if you've read the book you're going to enjoy at least that first episode. It was all of the over-the-top sequences that you'd expect from the book's opening few chapters.
            The whole season is beautiful. I've only barely started the book, so I was virgin territory.

Also: those credits. There are detailed videos breaking them down. They're incredible.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

S2 Killing Eve finale. Welp! Spoilers:

While S2 could never have stood up to S1 it was still a lot of fun. I liked the Big Bad this season and I cheered the unraveling of Eve's marriage (I do not like Niko). I liked Konstantin coming back from the dead (one of my favorite characters on TV) and the Scoobies were OK, although I could not care less about Carolyn's relationship with her son. Speaking of, Fiona Shaw should get all the Emmys. She does so much with so little, and it's a great tonic when compared with the outrageousness of the rest of the show.

The Rome sequence was my favorite location of the show so far, which is saying a lot. Generally speaking the show makes me wonder why Dr. Mrs. & I don't just emigrate to Europe already. It would be downsizing from all the waste and idiocy here. Well, until the tanks roll again.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                The whole season is beautiful. I've only barely started the book, so I was virgin territory.

Also: those credits. There are detailed videos breaking them down. They're incredible.
                Just going through the opening credits that first time, I thought they were icons for the various gods portrayed in the book/show. The Thunderbird totem, being the most interesting, I thought.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Just going through the opening credits that first time, I thought they were icons for the various gods portrayed in the book/show. The Thunderbird totem, being the most interesting, I thought.
                  One break down.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Final season of Marvel's JESSICA JONES will drop on June 14.

And with that, we have an end to probably the lone black mark on an otherwise pristine franchise (referring to Marvel TV as a whole, not just JJ or NETFLIX series per se).
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Final season of Marvel's JESSICA JONES will drop on June 14.

And with that, we have an end to probably the lone black mark on an otherwise pristine franchise (referring to Marvel TV as a whole, not just JJ or NETFLIX series per se).
                      What's the black mark here? Jessica Jones has been a great adaptation, from what I've seen.

Comment

What's the black mark here? Jessica Jones has been a great adaptation, from what I've seen.
                        JJ has been a great series on it's own. But it has ZERO ties to anything else. Originally we were pitched the idea of this all encompassing world where this all takes place. But Marvel has dropped the ball in this area big time (and I know about behind the scenes problems with Kevin Fiege and Issac Pearlmutter). There is no crossover. That's what bugs me.

Sure, the Avengers aren't going to come in and wreck Diamondback. But you would think that they would hear of a bullet proof dude from Harlem taking on a guy with a bunch of Illegal tech from Justin Hammer, right? Tony Stark finds Spiderman on YouTube. I'm sure there are other videos out there of the other "street level" heroes. Hell, an entire building is dropped on itself in Manhattan during Defenders. You think that the Avengers wouldn't look into the possibility of a terrorist attack or something else happening?

That's why it bugs me. I feel ripped off because I spent a ton of time with these series for no big payoff. Individually, they absolutely stand on their own. I'll go as far to say that Wilson Fisk and Killgrave are the BEST villains in the entire MCU. But that won't be built upon as the franchise continues.
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

LOL

From everything I read, there wasn't much planned other than winks and nods to the movies in the Netflix shows. They were trying to replicate a Mini-MCU with "The Defenders" (the individual characters, not the combo series), and while they were in the same universe, they weren't really going to interact with the Movie characters.

*edit* I also believe the timeline is slightly off, as the Defenders were either between movies, or after the movies. Like how Deadpool has a crashed/junked Helicarrier. Same universe, zero interaction.
                          Last edited by aparch; 05-28-2019, 12:33 PM.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            LOL

From everything I read, there wasn't much planned other than winks and nods to the movies in the Netflix shows. They were trying to replicate a Mini-MCU with "The Defenders" (the individual characters, not the combo series), and while they were in the same universe, they weren't really going to interact with the Movie characters.

*edit* I also believe the timeline is slightly off, as the Defenders were either between movies, or after the movies. Like how Deadpool has a crashed/junked Helicarrier. Same universe, zero interaction.
                            The TV shows were done in NY after the destruction that was done by the first Avengers movie. There was to be no crossover. They were doing Defenders as the tie between the characters. Unfortunately not all the series were very good, and the Defenders team up wasn't anything to get too excited about.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              The TV shows were done in NY after the destruction that was done by the first Avengers movie. There was to be no crossover. They were doing Defenders as the tie between the characters. Unfortunately not all the series were very good, and the Defenders team up wasn't anything to get too excited about.
                              I watched all the Netflix series (except for that BS Iron Fist crap), starting with JJ, and I agree about the Defenders, although that was a necessary watch to understand parts of Daredevil (I unknowingly watched them out of order, according to timeline).

Looking forward to the final JJ season. I disagree about the lack of quality.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Oh, and have read American Gods. One of the few fiction books I really liked. Haven't seen the show, since no cable.

Comment

Working...
                                X