This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Season 3 of True Detective is ok. It isn't nearly as good as Season 1 but decent. The pacing sucks though which makes many episodes a slog with three timeliness going on.

Have 1 episode left so I will finish but this season was too long in my opinion and they had to many episodes with little to no hook or advancing of the plot. It picked up now...

Barring a fantastic finale I can't say this was great but it wasn't Season 2 at least.
    Finished it...meh. I think the performances are good but the story and the jumping of timelines really dragged it down. The finale was ok at best and the ending lame. B- overall and not in the same ballpark as season 1.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Finished it...meh. I think the performances are good but the story and the jumping of timelines really dragged it down. The finale was ok at best and the ending lame. B- overall and not in the same ballpark as season 1.
      You saved me a season of watching. Some others' opinions echoed yours...and S1 being as good as it is...I don't want to tarnish the memory.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Fox is working on an alternative to SNL with Roseanne.

Because if there's one thing that cannot fail, it's a late night sketch show by Fox and Roseanne: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Special
        Last edited by French Rage; 04-20-2019, 08:12 PM.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Number One has a name - Una!

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2...-one-name-una/
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm probably behind the times, but I've been watching Brockmire, and that show just makes me giggle and teehee. Hank Azaria is a silly batch.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
              I'm probably behind the times, but I've been watching Brockmire, and that show just makes me giggle and teehee. Hank Azaria is a silly batch.
              I've seen a few eps, hilarious.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                ETA: The old record was $77K by a player who employed a similar strategy (hang in there and go big on DDs when you find them.) This guy's broken it four times.
                Over $1M tonight, thru 14 games. The old record was $77K. This guy's average: $75,825.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  Over $1M tonight, thru 14 games. The old record was $77K. This guy's average: $75,825.
                  He now owns the top 5 highest 1-day totals in the history of Jeopardy.

It's one thing to figure out the system - many have tried and many will try in the future, to varying degrees of success. It's another to have a Ken Jennings-tier knowledge base and buzzer timing to provide an overwhelming correct response rate.

Having the power to do both is something else.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

He now owns the top 5 highest 1-day totals in the history of Jeopardy.

It's one thing to figure out the system - many have tried and many will try in the future, to varying degrees of success. It's another to have a Ken Jennings-tier knowledge base and buzzer timing to provide an overwhelming correct response rate.

Having the power to do both is something else.
                    The buzzer is the key. People I've known who have been on the show have said that's really all it comes down to.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      The buzzer is the key. People I've known who have been on the show have said that's really all it comes down to.
                      Yeah, people on the usually are going to know most of the answers (though not all, getting those last few can also be key), it really comes down to getting in first. If you're buzzing in first, you're in control and setting the momentum, if not, you're playing catch-up.

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        Yeah, people on the usually are going to know most of the answers (though not all, getting those last few can also be key), it really comes down to getting in first. If you're buzzing in first, you're in control and setting the momentum, if not, you're playing catch-up.
                        And when the person with the momentum is systemically wiping the Daily Doubles off the board (and betting and winning a fortune on them,) there's just no means to catch up.

Only way this guy's going down is for someone to get lucky and beat him at his own game - hit a DD with a bankroll late, go all in, pray he misses one, then wager for the win in Final. If you hit a DD and wager $2K against this guy you've already lost.

ETA: I wonder when the production team starts sticking DDs under the $200s and $400s to mess things up. Then you'll get people crying rigged.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

And when the person with the momentum is systemically wiping the Daily Doubles off the board (and betting and winning a fortune on them,) there's just no means to catch up.

Only way this guy's going down is for someone to get lucky and beat him at his own game - hit a DD with a bankroll late, go all in, pray he misses one, then wager for the win in Final. If you hit a DD and wager $2K against this guy you've already lost.
                          You'd have to have some combination of him missing, so he doesn't have as much money and control of the board, along with someone smart and willing to play risky. On one hand, it is house money, so it doesn't hurt to play a little loose. On the other hand, you don't get it (aside of the 1K/2K) if you don't win, so winning is first and foremost the goal.

ETA: I wonder when the production team starts sticking DDs under the $200s and $400s to mess things up. Then you'll get people crying rigged.
                          If he keeps getting any many right as he does, that doesn't hurt him; he just has that much more money to risk.

KDR

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

They did slip one into the 1000 a couple days ago. Ended up being the first clue of the game so he could only bet 1000.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              They did slip one into the 1000 a couple days ago. Ended up being the first clue of the game so he could only bet 1000.
                              You might end up seeing the "house minimums" for DD bets raised because of this guy ($2500 and $5000 seem about right.)

Weirdly, that helps him too because it mitigates the exact scenario you just mentioned.

Comment

The only real "black swan" scenarios that could trip up this guy's system:

- Hits a DD first thing in Single Jeopardy and has nothing to wager (been done, not totally insurmountable)
                                - Hits a DD with less than a minute in Single Jeopardy and blows it, leaving him starting Double Jeopardy with nothing
                                - Piggybacking off the above, hits a DD first thing in Double Jeopardy and has nothing to wager (now he's just burned 2/3 DDs and doesn't have his usual lead)
                                - Hits a DD at the end of Double Jeopardy and blows it, leaving an opening in Final (probably the Occam's Razor scenario)

Basically some combination of two or three of the above have to happen, and he'll have to be contributing to his own downfall as well (and have an opponent with the skills/guts to capitalize on his misfortune.)

Comment

Working...
                                X