X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Dumped Sling yesterday. Finally got fed up with how glitchy and ****ty it was. It would take longer than any other streaming service to load programming, and then while watching, it would have that spinning "loading" circle in the middle of the screen while we tried to watch stuff. Then, when we did finally get to the point of watching shows, it would be about 15 seconds of the show, 5 seconds of black screen, 20 seconds of show, 5 seconds of black screen, 10 seconds of show, 5 seconds of black screen, and so on. It had gotten progressively worse the last month or so.

Trying out Hulu Live instead. Maybe we'll like that service better.
    I use Hulu Live...it isnt perfect but it works for me. It takes some getting used to though especially if you get the DVR. And expect commercials even if you pay for no commercials because some of the channels force commercials through their streaming site.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

OK I have a dumb question about Sling. It's big thing is you can stream your computer content to your TV, right?

Why do you need to when monitors are so huge and excellent now?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        OK I have a dumb question about Sling. It's big thing is you can stream your computer content to your TV, right?

Why do you need to when monitors are so huge and excellent now?
        No, that isn't what Sling is. Sling is just a brand name for a live TV streaming service (it is actually owned by Dish Network). So, it is an alternative to cable or satellite for live cable TV. There is no need for a computer, though you can log in and watch Sling on your computer. You can watch Sling through smart TVs, Roku, FireStick, etc. directly on your TV, with no computer needed.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

No, that isn't what Sling is. Sling is just a brand name for a live TV streaming service (it is actually owned by Dish Network). So, it is an alternative to cable or satellite for live cable TV. There is no need for a computer, though you can log in and watch Sling on your computer. You can watch Sling through smart TVs, Roku, FireStick, etc. directly on your TV, with no computer needed.
          See? It was a dumb question.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dumped Sling yesterday. Finally got fed up with how glitchy and ****ty it was. It would take longer than any other streaming service to load programming, and then while watching, it would have that spinning "loading" circle in the middle of the screen while we tried to watch stuff. Then, when we did finally get to the point of watching shows, it would be about 15 seconds of the show, 5 seconds of black screen, 20 seconds of show, 5 seconds of black screen, 10 seconds of show, 5 seconds of black screen, and so on. It had gotten progressively worse the last month or so.

Is that Sling, or your internet?
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Is that Sling, or your internet?
              Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBONow, NBC Sports, FoxSportsGo, and ESPN Streaming all work perfectly fine with my current high speed internet connection. Sling is the only one that doesn't.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Since this is the TV thread and such, how does one go about watching ESPN3? I can't say that I've ever tried. If I were to get Hulu Live, would it be on there since the Disney acquisition?
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Since this is the TV thread and such, how does one go about watching ESPN3? I can't say that I've ever tried. If I were to get Hulu Live, would it be on there since the Disney acquisition?
                  I think you just bring it up on computer and it asks you who your provider is.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I think you just bring it up on computer and it asks you who your provider is.
                    Right, but I don't have satellite or cable TV, so I'm hoping for other options here. SCSU has been relegated to ESPN3 for this Friday, and I'd like to watch it if I can. I might need to work with family for some information here.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Right, but I don't have satellite or cable TV, so I'm hoping for other options here. SCSU has been relegated to ESPN3 for this Friday, and I'd like to watch it if I can. I might need to work with family for some information here.
                      As far as I know it doesn't do anything to verify your account. So... lie?
                      Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        As far as I know it doesn't do anything to verify your account. So... lie?
                        Normally it'll ask you to sign in on your providers website to confirm your account.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Normally it'll ask you to sign in on your providers website to confirm your account.
                          Yeah like for me it'll always redirect to do my Comcast login.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Right. I've watched ESPN3 numerous times. I have cable tv. They ask you the provider, then you have to sign in with your cable provider account information which includes a password and usually your email address that you've given them.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This was my issue with Sling as well. I feel like it worked well when we first started using it, but about a month in it would take forever or would just not load things altogether.
                              I'm not sure what the answer is for cutting the cord. Currently we have cable, Hulu (free with our cellphone plan), Netflix, and Prime. The only real reason we're keeping cable is for NHL network. It is our default channel (when you turn off the tv, you return it to NHL Network so that whoever powers on the TV next isn't subject to other ***** on a network that the last person watched -- too many times of turning on the TV to Bravo after Top Chef aired and getting some sort of Real Housewives horribleness). I'm also not sure that unbundling our services through Comcast ends up saving us that much money

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                                This was my issue with Sling as well. I feel like it worked well when we first started using it, but about a month in it would take forever or would just not load things altogether.
                                I'm not sure what the answer is for cutting the cord. Currently we have cable, Hulu (free with our cellphone plan), Netflix, and Prime. The only real reason we're keeping cable is for NHL network. It is our default channel (when you turn off the tv, you return it to NHL Network so that whoever powers on the TV next isn't subject to other ***** on a network that the last person watched -- too many times of turning on the TV to Bravo after Top Chef aired and getting some sort of Real Housewives horribleness). I'm also not sure that unbundling our services through Comcast ends up saving us that much money
                                That's my issue. There are some shows that I could get if I got Hulu, YouTube, etc, but then I'm paying just as much as I would as if I had cable. I'm prob just gonna stick with Netflix (disc and stream) and if it's a show I REALLLLLLLY want to watch that's not on there (currently Saul and Mayans) I'll just get the season pass from Amazon Prime for $15/per.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X