X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV: One Person's Trash...

Continue.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

Is Oscar the Grouch’s home?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Kep,

This is definitely closer to Season 1 (minus Paula) than it is last season. Plus, I like how self aware the show is like when "New Greg" shows up. (same character, different actor)

Mrs. Maisel is completely overrated IMHO. The setting is amazing, they do an amazing job of remaking that time period but the story is kinda "bleh" to me. Maybe it is cause I watched Gilmore Girls and loved it but all I see is the same tropes being used by Palladino only with a different setting. I mean even the character breakdowns are similar (smart independent lead, quirky overweight best friend, overbearing parents) and the writing and delivery is a spot on match. I dont hate the show but I also wouldnt go out of my way to watch it either if there is anything else to watch. Also, since I know Sherman-Palladino so well you can already see the signs of where things are going. Mrs. Maisel will be more than just Mrs. Maisel in name when the show ends. There is >.01% chance she doesnt end up back with her husband. I will say though much like in Gilmore Girls the parents (Shaloub especially) are awesome in oh so many ways.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Mrs. Maisel is completely overrated IMHO. The setting is amazing, they do an amazing job of remaking that time period but the story is kinda "bleh" to me.
        I have a different theory about MM. If it is straight then, sure, GenX Mary Sues are churning out magical realism to fantasize themselves as anachronistic third wave feminists living in 1950s, and that's boring and trite.

But I think, with no proof, that it is a deep, caustic satire. MM herself is a completely loathsome character, and I think the show is driving a knife into the belly of hipster TV audiences and twisting it, seeing how far it can go until people catch on and become furious. I'm aware the critic John Kessel had a similarly outlandish theory about Ender's Game being an allegory absolving Hitler (!) though his article seems to have been purged from the Internet (alert InfoWars!), but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
        Last edited by Kepler; 01-28-2019, 07:08 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For some reason I have zero desire yet to watch MM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I have a different theory about MM. If it is straight then, sure, GenX Mary Sues are churning out magical realism to fantasize themselves as anachronistic third wave feminists living in 1950s, and that's boring and trite.

But I think, with no proof, that it is a deep, caustic satire. MM herself is a completely loathsome character, and I think the show is driving a knife into the belly of hipster TV audiences and twisting it, seeing how far it can go until people catch on and become furious. I'm aware the critic John Kessel had a similarly outlandish theory about Ender's Game being an allegory absolving Hitler (!) though his article seems to have been purged from the Internet (alert InfoWars!), but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
            You are giving Palladino too much credit. I would bet a week's salary she had zero intention for MM to be any sort of satire. It may be that way in your eyes but not in hers. (or it wasnt originally) Agreed, MM is not a likable character (especially in Season 2) which is part of why I dont like the show as much as say my girlfriend. She thinks it is witty and hilarious and thinks MM is amazing in a "Girl Power" kind of way. She sees her as a model independent woman and doesnt seem to see that she neglects her kids, is awful to all of her friends and even treats her parents like dirt. She is a user and a manipulater all in the pursuit of a career that wasnt even that financially stable for men back then. (and no woman would have been able to do what she does...hell Lenny Bruce barely could at his height) That is why I told her to go back and watch Gilmore Girls if she wants good female role models. Lorelei got knocked up as a kid and when her parents got upset moved out and started a whole new life. She sacrificed everything for her daughter (including a posh lifestyle) and still was able to work and create a stable home. She had lots of friends and treated them all with respect. (and when she didnt she legit felt bad unlike MM) She was also witty (as was her daughter) and smart but was completely likable.

MM could get better, there is definite potential but I dont see more than 2 seasons left in it. The Stand Up comedy thing is already getting rather tiresome and for parts of the season it seemed they were phasing it out anyways. Soon she will see Lenny Bruce crash and give up only to have ex-hubby convince her to jump back in because she is great which she will and they will be together and happy how they were supposed to be. The people that love the show will think it is great and those of us that see the warts will say the whole endeavor was worthless cause the only positive step she made was to have her own career. She will have stepped on everyone to be a nightclub act who tours the Borscht Belt when she isnt staying there with her family. Her parents will move to Paris or something so at least she wont continue to use them all the time and Sukie...errr...Susie will be her co-manager with ex/future hubby.
            Last edited by Handyman; 01-28-2019, 10:02 AM.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well, a girl can dream. I'll grant you your theory is far more likely than mine. I guess it's not so bad to have an aggressive and clever woman role model for young women, even a jerk one, in an age where Dumpy can win elections. The kind of hamfisted grrrl pwr messaging that a straight MM pounds may be 20 years in the rear view mirror for the smarties, but the dummies haven't even gotten to Betty Friedan yet.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I thought season 1 of MM was a retread of Joan Rivers' actual career, with only a few tweaks. Season 2 is clearly different, if only because of the summer vacation twist.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Little late, but I adore the thread title. Great job, MT.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    I thought season 1 of MM was a retread of Joan Rivers' actual career, with only a few tweaks. Season 2 is clearly different, if only because of the summer vacation twist.
                    The Poconos part was awful. So glad I didnt grow up in the era of that kind of Jew cause I would have murdered people. Though I doubt my dad would have ever wanted to do any of that anyways.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The Poconos part was awful. So glad I didnt grow up in the era of that kind of Jew cause I would have murdered people.
                      Come to the Island. We never stopped.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Come to the Island. We never stopped.
                        No...that and my hatred of Woody Allen are why I never actually end up going to NY
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No...that and my hatred of Woody Allen are why I never actually end up going to NY
                          I'll bet Woody has never set foot on the Island. We are "bridge and tunnel" to his people. To the Upper East Side we might as well be Nebraska.
                          Cornell University

Comment

My third favorite director.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Little late, but I adore the thread title. Great job, MT.
                              Thank you.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                              X