Beanpot LXVII: It Never Gets Old!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    Tough crowd when you’re finally a defending champ....... prolly more that they won the Beanpot opener as an under dog in a so far awful season but what do I know ?
    Not even trying to big dog it as a defending champ. Just have never seen that kind of reaction from any team winning the opening round. The whole thing? Sure. Not really the opener.

Good game so far. Goalies are playing lights out. Agree Schule hooked the BU player ahead of the NU goal. BU goal on a fluke bounce of the boards, right place right time for Farabee.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Re: Beanpot LXVII: It Never Gets Old!

When you haven't won a non conference game in that long including two straight 4th place finishes in Beanpot I can definitely understand that reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Not sure of your math with that prediction. Do you not know about your back to back titles in the 80s??
        I know our history, hey.. the 80s were awesome, everybody knows that.
        Having said that (and it was a good, close gm beating you guys tonight), still dont think this is the team/ yr NU wins this thing back to back. Would love to see it, just dont think it will happen. Last yrs team had a lot of finishers, this yr's team (besides Madden), few & far between. Hopefully tonight's W will spark a few more of the forwards to step up as the D was pretty good.. with BCs talent, we gonna need the finishers that have (had) been absent of late.

Having said all that, way to go Huskies
        Last edited by northeastern; 02-04-2019, 10:36 PM.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          ...still dont think this is the team/ yr NU wins this thing back to back. Would love to see it, just dont think it will happen.,,,
          It will happen!
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Is this the year we finally get the first-ever Northeastern-Harvard final????
            Nope
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

mookie needs to relax, i posted this inadvertently in the (wrong) non beanpot thread.

regarding repeat..no chance NU again. not this yr anyway.
              remember we not due until.. circa 2048.
              290yrs as the underdog. Then one yr as the best program ever... Now back to underdog

Comment

I know our history
                I’m glad you do! No one on NESN apparently did any research because I heard three different occasions that if you guys win next week it will be the first back-to-back championship in school history! Idiots.

Comment

I know our history, hey.. the 80s were awesome, everybody knows that.
                  Having said that (and it was a good, close gm beating you guys tonight), still dont think this is the team/ yr NU wins this thing back to back. Would love to see it, just dont think it will happen. Last yrs team had a lot of finishers, this yr's team (besides Madden), few & far between. Hopefully tonight's W will spark a few more of the forwards to step up as the D was pretty good.. with BCs talent, we gonna need the finishers that have (had) been absent of late.

Having said all that, way to go Huskies
                  “BC’s talent”? Or lack thereof? The difference in talent levels in the two games was striking. Two different levels in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                    I think this would be a good move. Students and young alumni working in the city are more likely to go out on a Thursday than a Monday, IMO. At worst, you'd get the same crowds but with a few days of media hype after the SB to drum up some interest it might get a boost.
                    It would be hard for it to be much worse than the 12K attendance last night.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                      “BC’s talent”? Or lack thereof? The difference in talent levels in the two games was striking. Two different levels in my opinion.
                      BC is going to be hard to beat.. all i can say.
                      You don't get to be #2 in Hockey East doing nothing. You're beating teams & racking up the points. Anyway, NU better be focused on UConn next.. then just hoping for a good gm nxt Monday.
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        290yrs as the underdog. Then one yr as the best program ever... Now back to underdog
                        He learned at your feet. Is Tomlin still a Stiller?
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                          He learned at your feet. Is Tomlin still a Stiller?
                          Stillers were more than a single pop shot!!!

3 coaches and 2 qb

Unlike the incredibly lucky patsies

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            It would be hard for it to be much worse than the 12K attendance last night.
                            First time I haven't made it to the first round in a few years, but from the shots they showed on NESN, it was easily the worst crowd I've ever seen – including the blizzard makeup game in 2015. Most of the upper deck was empty outside of the student sections. Sure, things will improve when BU and BC are having better seasons, but the trend of dwindling crowds is indicative of a larger problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                              the trend of dwindling crowds is indicative of a larger problem.
                              The important point, though, is that the "problem" is NOT just the Beanpot and it's not just college hockey. It's all college sports in general. Live streaming, a billion cable channels and social media have all impacted attendance (and interest). It's a tough problem, and the people who say "Well, the $45 ticket prices don't help" aren't understanding. You can't just lower the price and take a loss to get more fannies in the seats. You have to pay for security, infrastructure, etc. etc. There are fixed costs associated with staging these events. I seriously think it's not outrageous to consider a smaller venue. I came very close to going to the Super Bowl, but then I thought, I can see the game better on my big screen, it won't cost me anything and there's no hassle. So for something like this, it's a no-brainer. There just isn't the motivation to go as there was when it was the "place to be" and there was no other competition. And characterizing it as a "problem" implies that it has to be solved. I'm not sure there's much anyone can do. It's the way society is today. Millennials are not as much into "attending" sporting events. They have grown up in a virtual reality, technological world. There is no great "thrill" for them to be there, as there was for us. They "experience" things via technology. We didn't have that choice. If we didn't go, we missed everything and had to listen to stories or read about it in the newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                The important point, though, is that the "problem" is NOT just the Beanpot and it's not just college hockey. It's all college sports in general. Live streaming, a billion cable channels and social media have all impacted attendance (and interest). It's a tough problem, and the people who say "Well, the $45 ticket prices don't help" aren't understanding. You can't just lower the price and take a loss to get more fannies in the seats. You have to pay for security, infrastructure, etc. etc. There are fixed costs associated with staging these events. I seriously think it's not outrageous to consider a smaller venue. I came very close to going to the Super Bowl, but then I thought, I can see the game better on my big screen, it won't cost me anything and there's no hassle. So for something like this, it's a no-brainer. There just isn't the motivation to go as there was when it was the "place to be" and there was no other competition. And characterizing it as a "problem" implies that it has to be solved. I'm not sure there's much anyone can do. It's the way society is today. Millennials are not as much into "attending" sporting events. They have grown up in a virtual reality, technological world. There is no great "thrill" for them to be there, as there was for us. They "experience" things via technology. We didn't have that choice. If we didn't go, we missed everything and had to listen to stories or read about it in the newspaper.
                                I don’t know that I agree ALL college sports are losing popularity. Basketball and football are as popular as ever. I think the Long Tail Theory is at play here – instead of magnifying niche sports/interests, increased media presence in our lives has driven consumers to focus more intensely on more popular entertainment sources (pop stars, the NFL, etc.) and stolen localized attention from traditionally niche products that have small, but devoted followings.

College hockey is losing casual fans to the big-ticket sports leagues. Media hype is astronomical and coverage is standardized across regions now, as opposed to when folks were more reliant on local coverage for their news and entertainment.

Also, for the record, I am a millennial (most of whom are not still in college, by the way – most agree the generation comprises those born between 1981 and 1996) and most of my friends do find a “thrill” in attending events – they’re just more interested in the big-ticket, hyped-up events like a Celtics playoff game or a Travis Scott concert. It's hard to get anyone my age excited about going to a college hockey game.
                                Last edited by kdiff77; 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X