This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Woodrow Wilson held a private screening of BoaN at the White House and may have praised it.

I'm not down with calling GwtW racist -- or more racist than its time, anyway. Prissy is a bragging but cowardly servant -- she's not black because she's bad she's black because she's a slave at Tara. Mammy, another slave, is the most positive character in the entire movie, white or black.
    Hattie McDaniel won the Academy Award that year for her role in GWTW.

One heck of a woman! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hattie_McDaniel
    Last edited by joecct; 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Matt Bomer, in his "White Collar" hey-days, would've been an excellent Bond under those criteria.
      I think Jude Law could pull it off.

Comment

Kepler is absolutely right. It should have been handled off the board. I apologize for posting it. Case closed. Back to your regularly scheduled movie talk.

Comment

I'm going to see Avengers: End Game on Tuesday night on the ultra mega super screen at my local theater. ($5.35/ticket or $16.32/ticket? I'll wait...)

At any rate, what are the chances I can actually make it into the movie 90% spoiler free?
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            I think Jude Law could pull it off.
            I'd like to see a more realistic Bond who lives in a van down by the river, but I guess that window has closed.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              I'd like to see a more realistic Bond who lives in a van down by the river, but I guess that window has closed.
              "My name is Bannon. Steve Bannon."
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Old Man And The Gun:
                Based on the true story of Forrest Tucker and his audacious escape from San Quentin at the age of 70 to an unprecedented string of heists that confounded authorities and enchanted the public.

Robert Redford (in his final role), Sissy Spacek, Casey Affleck, Tom Waits...some other faces one might know. Great movie. "Based on" is accurate; I guess they wanted to show the story how the real Tucker saw it in his head. Very done, and I dare say it's charming. Also amazing how long the "Over The Hill Gang" lasted at the end. Well worth a watch.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                  Old Man And The Gun:
                  Based on the true story of Forrest Tucker and his audacious escape from San Quentin at the age of 70 to an unprecedented string of heists that confounded authorities and enchanted the public.

Robert Redford (in his final role), Sissy Spacek, Casey Affleck, Tom Waits...some other faces one might know. Great movie. "Based on" is accurate; I guess they wanted to show the story how the real Tucker saw it in his head. Very done, and I dare say it's charming. Also amazing how long the "Over The Hill Gang" lasted at the end. Well worth a watch.
                  You had me at Tom Waits...

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    You had me at Tom Waits...
                    Forewarning: he doesn't really play a major role, Rob/Sissy/Casey take those roles. Waits plays part of Rob's crew. He does have a nice monologue, though.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Forewarning: he doesn't really play a major role, Rob/Sissy/Casey take those roles. Waits plays part of Rob's crew. He does have a nice monologue, though.
                      He rarely does. But he can steal the hell out of a scene.

Comment

He rarely does. But he can steal the hell out of a scene.
                        He can. And sometimes he can star: See the Buster Scruggs movie (which I think you have). He's great in that.

Comment

He can. And sometimes he can star: See the Buster Scruggs movie (which I think you have). He's great in that.
                          His may well have been my favorite part of that one.

Comment

His may well have been my favorite part of that one.
                            Liam's part was great, but man, was THAT one dark. That movie was very very good all around. Hard to pick a fave in that one.

Comment

Watching The Last of the Mohicans again for the first time in quite a while. Man, I forgot about Madeleine Stowe.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                Watching The Last of the Mohicans again for the first time in quite a while. Man, I forgot about Madeleine Stowe.
                                That movie really disappointed me.

Comment

Working...
                                X