Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
    Big 2 games this weekend. Thinking they need to sweep to gain some momentum. Merrimack seems to play Friars tough especially up in North Andover. Hopefully Friars stay out of the box, Hawkey doesn't make some stupid play behind net like last week, they don't fall behind early and they put the puck in the net (early).
    I will be overjoyed if they stay out of the box and play a real game

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
      I will be overjoyed if they stay out of the box and play a real game
      Agreed! PC needs to sweep against a solid Merrimack team in order to stay in the top 10 and get back on track. Anything less is a problem.

Comment

Game one in the books as Friars dominate Merrimack, 7-2.

Couple of career first time goals: Thompson and O'Neill, Kasper with 2, Vimal with one, Dugan and Duhaime with one apiece

Friars held Merrimack to 11 shots in this game....gifted them 2 goals in the third...

Friars started out scoring 13 seconds into the game then added 2 more in that period...one in the second and 3 in the third

44 shots on net for PC in this one...

Good start to weekend, let's hope they finish it off tomorrow...

Bring a can good and a teddy bear tomorrow if you are going...

Comment

Does PC have a goalie problem? Last two games, Hawkey has been terrible, on top of his poor play against UMass, that lead to the sweep. He was solid last year, and he is playing two notches below last year IMO. If Hawkey regains his game, this is a top 5 team.

Comment

Originally posted by dillon View Post
            Does PC have a goalie problem? Last two games, Hawkey has been terrible, on top of his poor play against UMass, that lead to the sweep. He was solid last year, and he is playing two notches below last year IMO. If Hawkey regains his game, this is a top 5 team.
            Very good question. The last 4 games the friars allowed few shots on goal, but Hawkey is not stopping them. Hope this is a temporary slump.

Comment

Originally posted by palmettofriar View Post
              Very good question. The last 4 games the friars allowed few shots on goal, but Hawkey is not stopping them. Hope this is a temporary slump.
              Hawkey always seems to have funk last 2 years then suddenly bounce back. It’s why he never gets in the conversation for post season awards.

As far as last night. Merrimack lost top 4 guys last year. Borek hasn’t caught a break with recruits who were suppose to come in. He appears to have chosen to blow up and build back up. He is using his shotgun recruiting approach so jury will be out for a couple of years. Till then they have grit but have a ways to go

Providence actually seemed very sloppy even controlling much of play. A shorty against on a real bad pass and then in reality another shorty just as penalty expired. Got bottled on a bit. Hawkey did look way off none of goals looked like sure goals

Nice touch st end where each Friar gave Borek a hug
              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                Hawkey always seems to have funk last 2 years then suddenly bounce back. It’s why he never gets in the conversation for post season awards.

As far as last night. Merrimack lost top 4 guys last year. Borek hasn’t caught a break with recruits who were suppose to come in. He appears to have chosen to blow up and build back up. He is using his shotgun recruiting approach so jury will be out for a couple of years. Till then they have grit but have a ways to go

Providence actually seemed very sloppy even controlling much of play. A shorty against on a real bad pass and then in reality another shorty just as penalty expired. Got bottled on a bit. Hawkey did look way off none of goals looked like sure goals

Nice touch st end where each Friar gave Borek a hug
                I disagree with you on Hawkey as the defense was atrocious last night. The backhanded short handed goal was a ridiculous shot going in the opposite direction of where it was shot from.

The 4 on 3 goal was a wrist shot from 15-20 feet away with no-one in front of him.

The PC defense throughout the night was giving up too many high quality scoring chances and Hawkey couldn't make a big save last night but he was far from the problem. The problem with this team is the same as last year that they give up too many high level scoring chances and was the reason PC was sitting home instead of in the Frozen Four last year. I still think that will be what will break their backs when the season ends.
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Well, that back pass thing needs to be deep sixed. I agree that Hawkey gave up some goals he would certainly like to have back. Cav is correct that he does go through these rough patches.

7-3-1 is pretty great, all things considered. Would have liked one of those two UMASS games to have gone different.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Also, I'm sorry, but hasn't the problem with PC hockey in the past seven years been how the offense disappears in the playoffs? All of the really irritating playoff losses (UML and Union in 14', UNH in 15', UML and tUMD in 16', Notre Dame and Harvard in 17', and BU and Notre Dame in 18') involved PC scoring 1 or 0 goals.
                    that would be the most likely culprit.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                    -Blackadder
                    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                    -Casablanca
                    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      Also, I'm sorry, but hasn't the problem with PC hockey in the past seven years been how the offense disappears in the playoffs? All of the really irritating playoff losses (UML and Union in 14', UNH in 15', UML and tUMD in 16', Notre Dame and Harvard in 17', and BU and Notre Dame in 18') involved PC scoring 1 or 0 goals.
                      that would be the most likely culprit.
                      True but the lack of a back check on that Notre Dame winner is a reminder of bad defensive coverage in my mind. ;-)

PC right now has the best freshman scorer in the country and they need to have him continue to dominate on the offensive end while Jay O'Brien needs to play up to his draft level (yes he has been injured) while ether upper classmen need to become consistent.
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Friars head to Hayden's home town this weekend for a big 2 game set against Denver that will go a long way to helping their Pairwise standing. Not expecting a sweep by them but would hope a split, losing both would not be what the doctor ordered. Defense play (including forwards) will need to be better than last Saturday and hopefully Hayden is better too. Playing in front of friends and family can sometimes be tough but maybe it help him to put up a couple of great games.

Friars can't afford any injuries with basically no depth on front or back line so hopefully they make it through the weekend without any.

Comment

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
                          Friars head to Hayden's home town this weekend for a big 2 game set against Denver that will go a long way to helping their Pairwise standing. Not expecting a sweep by them but would hope a split, losing both would not be what the doctor ordered. Defense play (including forwards) will need to be better than last Saturday and hopefully Hayden is better too. Playing in front of friends and family can sometimes be tough but maybe it help him to put up a couple of great games.

Friars can't afford any injuries with basically no depth on front or back line so hopefully they make it through the weekend without any.
                          Toughest weekend of the year for the Friars. A split would be huge as Denver is solid at home and has a very strong team again this season!!!
                          I think the best shot for the Friars to steal a game this weekend is tonight. Denver has a very good record on the second night after playing their opponent the night before.

Comment

As a DU season ticket holder - I'm not sure we know much of anything about DU just yet. They raced out to a 5-0-1 start, but against the likes of Air Force, Alaska, Huntsville and a solid-Western Michigan team...

Since then they're 1-3-0 against the iron of college hockey, St Cloud and Minn-Duluth, getting outplayed for long stretches and also looking like they completely belonged for periods of time. If anything, all this may indicate they're simply a good but not great team. And that's not unexpected with all they've lost or how young they are at key positions and with critical contributors...

They've been relentless on pucks since I've been out here and they play strong team defense, transition pucks and work hard in the O zone. Essentially what I think of when I think of PC as a UNH fan. So it should be quite a weekend and a good test for both teams.

Will be interesting to see how DU bounces back after carrying play for 40 minutes against UMD, en route to a 3-0 lead after two (and having shutout UMD for the first five periods of the weekend), before allowing three third period goals and losing in the first minute of OT, last time out...

Cooley, the goalie has played very well - He stole last Friday's game against the Bulldogs - but he was recruited to be a third goalie and has his limitations. He can be had, if you can get through DUs tough-minded and hard-working defense, which I think is the strength of their team...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              As a DU season ticket holder - I'm not sure we know much of anything about DU just yet. They raced out to a 5-0-1 start, but against the likes of Air Force, Alaska, Huntsville and a solid-Western Michigan team...

Since then they're 1-3-0 against the iron of college hockey, St Cloud and Minn-Duluth, getting outplayed for long stretches and also looking like they completely belonged for periods of time. If anything, all this may indicate they're simply a good but not great team. And that's not unexpected with all they've lost or how young they are at key positions and with critical contributors...

They've been relentless on pucks since I've been out here and they play strong team defense, transition pucks and work hard in the O zone. Essentially what I think of when I think of PC as a UNH fan. So it should be quite a weekend and a good test for both teams.

Will be interesting to see how DU bounces back after carrying play for 40 minutes against UMD, en route to a 3-0 lead after two (and having shutout UMD for the first five periods of the weekend), before allowing three third period goals and losing in the first minute of OT, last time out...

Cooley, the goalie has played very well - He stole last Friday's game against the Bulldogs - but he was recruited to be a third goalie and has his limitations. He can be had, if you can get through DUs tough-minded and hard-working defense, which I think is the strength of their team...
                              Good preview. Thanks
                              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Well so far Cooley has been stone walling the Friars especially in the second with Denver taking a lot of penalties.

Surprise of the night so far was seeing O'Brien on the ice for the Friars....

And just like that Denver scores on the PP late in the second...

Comment

Working...
                                X