X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    There might be some other factors in play here. Minnesota has an extraordinarily large Somali population and a fairly large fraction are first generation. I’m just not sure that study paints an accurate picture.
    I think there are two commonly accepted explanations for the deep segregation in the Twin Cities neighborhoods.

First, Minneapolis/St. Paul made heavy use of restrictive covenants in their property deeds, even as recently as 60 years ago. The effect of this was the clear establishment of white and minority neighborhoods. Even if you eliminate the covenants, the segregation is extremely difficult to get rid of once it's entrenched. There is certainly a "birds of a feather" aspect to people buying homes. Many people tend to locate in neighborhoods with people who are similar to them. When you couple that with the price differences, segregation (even if not an official policy) becomes more deeply entrenched, it doesn't weaken.

Second, people blame the Met Council and its policies with respect to affordable housing. They apparently have used a "points system" over the years in terms of approving affordable housing projects, and one of the key parts of the points system is location relative to public transportation. This tends to locate affordable housing projects in the inner city rings as opposed to the suburbs.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Detroit burbs practiced redlining for years, too. Most are still self-segregated.

Comment

I wonder what the #'s are if you branch out into the suburbs. That may sound like a stupid question, but we lived in a nice neighborhood in Brooklyn Park (north of 252 and Noble Parkway) and there were quite a few minorities. Enough that the racial makeup at our grade school was at most 45-50% white, the rest Asian, African American, other. It was a very good school (rated 4th best in the state one year) and was not heavily occupied by those on assistance. I know my former h.s. (affluent suburb) has a much broader racial makeup than I ever experienced back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          I wonder what the #'s are if you branch out into the suburbs. That may sound like a stupid question, but we lived in a nice neighborhood in Brooklyn Park (north of 252 and Noble Parkway) and there were quite a few minorities. Enough that the racial makeup at our grade school was at most 45-50% white, the rest Asian, African American, other. It was a very good school (rated 4th best in the state one year) and was not heavily occupied by those on assistance. I know my former h.s. (affluent suburb) has a much broader racial makeup than I ever experienced back in the day.
          If you scroll down on this site there is a really good interactive map that shows the locations for just Minneapolis. I suggest panning out on the map to give yourself the full view of the City. Obviously most of it occurred inside what is known as the 494/694 ring.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Fact is, if you have money you probably aren't living in a particularly diverse neighborhood. You're going to live with other rich, white yuppies.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Fact is, if you have money you probably aren't living in a particularly diverse neighborhood. You're going to live with other rich, white yuppies.
              Minorities can make gobs of money, too.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Minorities can make gobs of money, too.
                And when they do, they do start to mingle with the white folk. But even then, they're a minority within the wealthiest burbs.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  Interesting.......

‘Race also played a central role. Minneapolis is among the most segregated and unequal cities in America, a fact at odds with its self-image as a tolerant and diverse community.
                  This doesn't surprise me. The worst segregated cities in the US have always been northern. "In the South they don't care how close you get as long as you don't get too big. In the North they don't care you big you get as long as you don't get too close."

For decades the worst segregated cities in the US were New York, Boston, and Baltimore.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 07-14-2019, 07:08 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    On the whole yes, but I just spoke from personal experience that we were in a very nice neighborhood and it was fairly diverse.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      And when they do, they do start to mingle with the white folk. But even then, they're a minority within the wealthiest burbs.
                      And that's when the cops get called when they're letting themselves in to their own house. Or going for a walk around the neighborhood.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Chinese Economy slows in second quarter...

And with them as the largest holder of US debt, this could be disastrous.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

China has been growing at a non-sustainable rate propped up by their government essentially pouring money into ghost town construction and currency manipulation. They’ve had an ACME rocket pack strapped to their back, it ran out of fuel a few years ago, and we all finally looked down.

If the US and China have synchronized recessions, it would be very bad for everyone. Europe is still in a fragile state to boot. We’ve already lowered taxes to subsistence levels and interest rates are still at historical lows. This coming recession is going to be bad and we don’t have any safety nets left.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So much winning.

Chinese foreign direct investment into the United States has plummeted since Trump took office, with real estate, autos, tech and agriculture — industries which have all benefited from China's boom — set to lose out.

In 2016, FDI peaked at $46.5 billion, but now nearly 90% of this has gone, with just $5.4 billion in 2018
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Not sure if it was posted here, or some other site I frequent, but read an article about how the Chinese will never invest again the way they have in the US, nor depend on us for their food supplies.

They want steady dependable suppliers, whether that's for soybeans or anything else, and if the US can't be counted on to be that due to the whims of Trump, then Brazil will fit the bill, or someone else.

Trade wars are easy to win.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                Not sure if it was posted here, or some other site I frequent, but read an article about how the Chinese will never invest again the way they have in the US, nor depend on us for their food supplies.

They want steady dependable suppliers, whether that's for soybeans or anything else, and if the US can't be counted on to be that due to the whims of Trump, then Brazil will fit the bill, or someone else.

Trade wars are easy to win.
                                Mmhmm. We may be the best house on the block, still, but we sure aren't the only house on the block. Make it difficult enough long enough for people to deal with you and they will start looking elsewhere, as consistency and dependability ultimately mean more than quality.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X