X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Once the Dems get back in, I’m hoping they get rid of capital gains and just treat all income the same.
    Let it ride. As much as we should do this to have a functioning democracy again, it will never happen under the Democrats as currently constituted. We'd need something enormous -- likely enormously bad -- to happen for there to be a mechanism by which the will of the people could be translated into actual legal and policy changes if the will of the people ran so contrary to the comfort of the rich. And if the tanks are in the streets you and I are going to be worried about other things than our portfolio.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Message unclear. Dumping all money into Underground Seas...

On a more serious note, what’s this “buy a house” stuff? I just assume that’s for old folks.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Let it ride. As much as we should do this to have a functioning democracy again, it will never happen under the Democrats as currently constituted. We'd need something enormous -- likely enormously bad -- to happen for there to be a mechanism by which the will of the people could be translated into actual legal and policy changes if the will of the people ran so contrary to the comfort of the rich. And if the tanks are in the streets you and I are going to be worried about other things than our portfolio.
        I’d say as thing graph continues to grow, the likelihood increases
        https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...S&q=Guillotine
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Saving is like dieting. There's a point where too much turns the heath curve back down again..
          stop with your continuous use of the laffer curve scooby does not approve!
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            On a more serious note, what’s this “buy a house” stuff? I just assume that’s for old folks.
            Call my wife and I old fashioned, but we managed to buy our house *just* before the markets took back off in 2015. We had to use FHA to get it because we didn't have the full 10%+ down payment.

Only 324 more payments to go!

The monthly mortgage+PMI+Taxes payment (even after property taxes rose twice) is cheaper still than what our rent was then. The trade off of home maintenance is worth not having to gamble if your new neighbors will be annoying or not.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Are there numbers to back up that this is what happens? If true, this is really bad news. It implies we'll never save, because when times are tough we can't and when times are good we won't.

I would love to see policy and politics that rewarded Americans saving and being forward-looking instead of inciting them to spend more and indulge themselves in the present, but I'm told our economy is based on consumption and I fear a significant, system-wide shift in favor of personal savings habits would probably seriously damage employment.

I'm sick today (note: being sick sucks), but I've rarely been so depressed over a piece of new information.
              You can get the raw data at the Bureau of Economic Analysis, but this link does a good job of writing a brief synopsis within its already relatively concise write up of savings rate trends. It was written in 2010, but the general trend still holds, and the guy sources the BEA directly for his data.

In the first month that the BEA (Bureau of Economic Analysis) provided us with data (January 1959), the personal savings rate in the United States was 8.3%. So, this means that, on average, Americans were able to save 8.3% of their disposable incomes.

For the next decade or so, the personal savings rate remained more or less the same, in the 7.5% - 8.5% range...

By January 2000, the average savings rate was 3.5% - it would end up falling below 1.0% multiple times between 2000 and 2010.

When the economy nearly collapsed in 2008, the savings rate started to trend higher, moving from 1.3% in January of 2008 to 4.2% in December of 2009...

It's pretty simple - when people are feeling good about their circumstances, they spend more. When people are worried about their futures, they save more...
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Below 1%... good grief.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Mind you, the Personal Savings Rate does not include pre-tax savings accounts, as defined by the BEA.

Disposable Income = Personal Income less Personal Current Taxes

Personal Saving = Disposable Personal Income - Personal Outlays

Personal Saving Rate = (Personal Saving / Disposable Personal Income) * 100

Note: Personal outlays will include such things as food, housing, transportation, in addition to interest payments on non-mortgage debt and transfer payments to government or social services
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Tucker Carlson the voice of reason?

Comment

The best businessman in the world folks:
                      Negotiators have been drafting [Memorandums of Understanding] on areas such as agriculture, non-tariff barriers, services, technology transfer, currency and intellectual property as the two nations work toward a deal.

Trump told gathered reporters that the memorandums would “be very short term. I don’t like MOUs because they don’t mean anything. To me, they don’t mean anything.”

Lighthizer then jumped in to defend the strategy, with Trump looking on. “An MOU is a binding agreement between two people,” he said. “It’s detailed. It covers everything in great detail. It’s a legal term. It’s a contract.”

But the president, unswayed, fired back at Lighthizer. “By the way I disagree,” Trump said.

The top Chinese negotiator, Vice Premier Liu He, laughed out loud.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Lol. Even I know how important MOUs are.
                        Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Great Negotiator. He knows deals.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

The Chinese laughed out loud? Can’t be true, someone on here told us that trump was the first president to get tough on Jhina

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              God, he's an embarrassment.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Several apps now busted for sharing info with Facebook via the Analytics platform, without any prominent notice or acknowledgement, and in some cases without the user even having a Facebook account. This includes several health apps that track personal biometrics.

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...-with-facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X